Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2010 11:42:31 AM EDT
Hey guys. I was interested in dipping my feet in the night vision arena though I don't really have to many practical uses for them at the current moment. The only "need" I have is walking through the woods at night/early morning and the potential bad guy breaking in at night and/or power loss.

I don't have the free cash for the PVS14 or even earlier model PVS7's, as I have a 7 month old son at home. Nor do I really "need" that level of performance.

I was wondering your toughts on the YUKON NVMT GOGGLE 1X24 NIGHT VISION MONOCULAR. I understand that its probably a Gen I or at Best Gen II(though for the price I highly doubt it).

Would this unit be sufficient for my needs as outlined above? Is it mountable to a helmet for hands free use(I have a few PASGT helmets laying around)? Is there something of better quality for around the same price point?

Any and/or all thoughts welcome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:55:57 PM EDT
No one used one/tried one, loves them/hates them? Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:47:18 PM EDT
It is Gen 1 and to be 100% honest you are better off with a quality flashlight for your intended purpose. Gen 1 just does not have the gain to be very useful IMHO. Gen 2 at the min is what you need.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:03:11 AM EDT
Dino

Thanks for the response. What types of Gen II do your recommend?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:50:57 AM EDT
There is a lot of good units in gen 2. Much of the gear I have experience in is older but works well. Two types of Gen 2 to consider. US made gen 2 tubes and the more advanced European gen 2.

Lots of posts in this forum about the difference if you search around. For your needs it sounds like you want a budget model that can be head mounted. The cheapest new unit with a warranty I can recommend would be the D-300. They run about $1500 give or take. Used gear is always a option but you have the risks of anything you buy used.

http://tnvc.com/items/night_vision_monoculars/d300_g2st.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 5:23:12 PM EDT by fordkicksass]
I've got one, for gen1 it's not bad.  It says bushnell on it but it's just a Yukon NVMT 1x24 marketed by Bushnell.  I did a comparison w/ this gen1, a pvs-2, and my gen3 MUM.  If you'd like the pic's for comparison send me your email address.

ETA:  For a badguy in the house gen1 would be more a hindrance than anything in all seriousness, what you would want there would be a blinding surefire (mine wears an X300).

ETA the sequel:  Pics of the gen 1

IIRC this night was good and dark w/ no moon but lots of stars
W/o illuminator

W/ a variable beam torch illuminator
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 11:13:41 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses guys. It has helped alot.
Top Top