Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/5/2013 9:47:06 AM EDT
I gave away my last shotgun several years ago and now I have several friends and family members that would like to get together from time to time and shoot some clays. I don't want to spend several thousand dollars, I don't expect to ever hunt with it or use for home protection. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive gun that i can bust some clays, just having fun for a day, no league shooting, but something that will be reasonably reliable and not kill my shoulder.

Opinions? At $400 it looks very attractive to me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 10:48:13 AM EDT
I would buy any well used Beretta or Remington 1100 I could find for $400ish over that Stoeger.

I broke one the first time I handled it and I was working a gun show when I did it. Now, it was when they first came out, but I could care less if they fixed that problem or not. Too many good used guns out there to settle for an average gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:00:19 PM EDT
And you have found those well used Rem 1100's where? I have not found any in this market that are even CLOSE to being fairly priced. I haven't seen any.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:28:46 PM EDT
Look harder, I guess. Every gun store in town has at least two 1100s for under 400 bucks on the shelf, and they typically have more.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:30:00 AM EDT
I'm in the Tampa Bay area and have visited numerous gunshops and there is nothing unless I want a tactical. I found one in a shop I frequent, but someone had already given the shop a deposit on it. The shop owner said that he had only taken it in on trade about an hour before. People are nuts here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:02:15 AM EDT
I've had a Stoeger M200 for three years now and never had a problem. I've had a four round mag tube extension on it for two years and never had a problem. I've alternated slugs, buck shot and bird shot in the same tube and never had an issue. I got it for $325 brand new; I feel money well spent! There is just one tiny bead in the front so you may want to upgrade that. Also, buy a Limbsaver recoil pad. The M200 stock is light and barely has a pad on the end so you get a lot of felt recoil.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:37:56 AM EDT
I have an M2000, It's worked awesome for the last 2 years since I've had it.
My boss gave it to me as a gift and I've only used it to bird hunt & have never taken out the plug to put more than 2 shells in it.

So, I like it based on my experience with it. I didn't pay for it either so it has that going for it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 7:10:59 AM EDT
I ran one for a while, but sold it becuase I wanted to fund an AR build. It was a fun gun to shoot. Never had any issues with it. Now I have an 1100 and like it more. Just seems to point better for me. Are there any pawnshops in your area that sell? If so look there first. I was running around looking for an 870 for a friend and must arve found 5-6 1100's right around the $400 range. Best part of pawn shops is you can haggle on prices more than at a gun store usually.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 5:05:11 PM EDT
I bought my kid a fancier M2000...and it ain't a bad shotgun. Does kick like a field-mule..and requires like a 100-200 round heavy load break-in(probably why it kicks heavy).
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:05:30 AM EDT
Update: I bought the Stoeger M2000 and installed a limbsaver pad the same day. Broke it down, cleaned and oiled it. I have only put 50 rounds through it so far, but no problems with slow fire or just running a 5 round dump. I checked several pawn shops and they have nothing but junk.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:48:23 AM EDT
keep us updated. I'm interested in them as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:43:19 AM EDT
They've come a long way since Benelli picked them up, but I don't see too many of them on the range or in classes.

Honestly I think Benelli should have changed the name of the brand. Anytime I see "Stoeger" anything, I harken back to the days where every single one of them was a ginormous piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:43:33 AM EDT
I've got 6 cases of clays in the garage, almost 600 rounds and received an email last night that my thrower finally shipped and should have it Wed. Some friends and I are going up to my property in the next week or so and will put it to the test. I need to pattern it too. I shot it with the imp. cyl. choke istalled and it seemed to have a very tight pattern. I also heard that Benelli retooled the plant in Turkey in 2007 or 2008 and that the guns produced since then are higher quality than the earlier model.

I also have the wood version, which seems like it may be getting discontinued, as that is the model that is harder to find and the one that is usually on sale. I've not seen the synthetic on sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 6:24:32 PM EDT
I'm not sure how many rounds i have through mine.Some where between 1k and 2k. I have never had a problem, even with light loads like the Fed and Win promo loads. I can float one one the carrier without a hiccup.
I treaded for it in early 2008.Not certian how long the guy before me had it. He didnt have a problem either.

Mine has a chromed carrier and bolt. its slicker than snot.

I ordered a +6 nordic extension for a total of 12 even with the end of my 26 inch barrel.. Im waiting to get a 18 inch barrel an tube for it. There is a 20 inch barrel but it has a cantalever. I think it would make sightd too high. I would like to see one in person. maybe it is removable without too much fuss. You could put a plus 4 on it for 10 shots I would like to get it as it has removable chokes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 6:23:34 PM EDT
This one belongs to my best friend. It used to be mine, but he fell so much in love with it the first time he fired it that I sold it to him on the cheap. I must admit that it is a lot of fun to blast away with. It's light as hell, and so kicks pretty hard, though; not something you want to shoot all day.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 1:26:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zardoz:
This one belongs to my best friend. It used to be mine, but he fell so much in love with it the first time he fired it that I sold it to him on the cheap. I must admit that it is a lot of fun to blast away with. It's light as hell, and so kicks pretty hard, though; not something you want to shoot all day.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8209022760_9d49fd58e0_c.jpg

I need to figure out how to put a pic on here. I have the mag tube extension; so I have 8 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. It sticks out about 2 inches from the barrel but is so cool. I have not had one misfeed with the extension. The only thing I don't like is it will take some work if I take the extension off and have the regular mag tube on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:20:11 AM EDT
I picked up my Stoeger M2000 in May of 2011 from a local Basspro. It was a combo deal and it came with a 26" ribbed barrel and a 18.5" security barrel; BOTH THREADED FOR CHOKES! To make things even better, I had so many Basspro points and giftcards saved up that I literally paid less then $100 out of pocket. All that being said, this has been one mean little shotgun. It is what it is: an entry level Benelli Semi-Auto for less then half than you would normally pay for a Benelli. I'm not sure what was wrong with the older models, but mine has kicked some serious brass. First time out, I was shooting clays better with it than the high scoiety club with their $5K+ over and unders.

A very cool feature about the Stoeger M2000 is the ability to "Ghost Load" it. For those of you not familiar with the term, it means you can have the mag tube full, 1 in the chamber, and another on the ramp. So with the factory capacity, your talking about 4 in the tube, 1 in the pipe, and 1 on the ramp! (4+1+1=6).

Accessories are not has abundant as Benellis, but they're out there. Since the choke threads are the same as Benelli, I ordered the Carlson's Tactical Breecher Choke Tube for the 18.5" and it just makes it tactical. TacStar makes a sidesaddle for it and the Benelli M1 & M2. I also threw on a Ace Case Stock Shell carrier so I got 12 shells on the ready. Nordic Componets makes a Oversized charging handle for the Benelli M1, but I had to modify it a little to make it fit. Burris Optics makes a mount that will allow you to mount one of their FastFire Micro Red dots between the stock and receiver.

Normally you would order the +2 Extension Tube from Nordic Components so it wouldn't go past the barrel, but with the Carlson's Tactical Breecher Choke Tube, I can get a +3 and a 3/4" endcap extension for a flush fit. Unfortunately, I'm back-ordered for the +3 ext tube so I gots to wait.

Zardoz, what rail are you using on your shotty?

So, with all the goodness mentioned above, I leave you with pictures of my current set-up. Enjoy...

And just for shits and giggles, HERE is a link to an older post where the topic was the Stoeger M2000 as an Short Barrel Shotgun. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 11:30:03 AM EDT
OK, I finally had a chance to take my M2000 out to shoot some clays. My model is the wood stock and forearm model with 28" ribbed barrel. Had 6 friends go with to break in my new clay thrower. We had a great time, even though I really sucked. I haven't shot a shotgun in close to 30 years and I never did get into clay shooting in a big way, although I had enjoyed every time out.

We shot close to 700 rounds, using my gun and 3 others. There were times when I would pick up my gun off the table and it was too hot to hold. I talked a friend of mine into buying the same model as mine and it was the first outing for his gun too. Both guns shot everything we loaded into them without a single hiccup. It's not a Benelli, but I really like the gun and the price was right. Looking forward to more clay shooting.
Top Top