Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 10:33:35 AM EDT
Does anyone have any feedback on the SemiAuto Thompsons that are out there?  More info

How do they run?  Are they pretty fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's mine

a ton of information on these pages http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/

I've heard it's hit or miss, either that run fine or they jam a ton.

Good Luck...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Here's mine.

It's a hoot to shoot, accuracy is decent. Doesn't jam at all with factory, reloads take a bit of oomph to operate the action.

It's a bit heavy at 10.5#

All in all a fun gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Friend had one eons ago.  Fun to shoot.  Weighed a ton.  Seemed reliable and accurate enough.  But it was one of those things that after the first three or four range sessions you wondered why you bought the thing.  I suspect a lot of these end up being safe queens.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has one of these and my Department used to have the Commando Arms 45 ACP copy of the Thompson.  I agree these are heavy and they just don't fit with my short arms.  I know why  Audi Murphy used one of these He always put the stock under his shoulder (arm pit)  and I never saw him shoulder the weapon.  In full auto point and shoot CQB it probably worked.   My friend's Thompson is accurate enough and reliable but I really don't enjoy shooting it because it just doesn't fit me.   I guess I'm spoiled with  the 16 " AR with six position collapsible stock because it feels just right to me.  I'm afraid if I'd been in WW II I would have preferred the M-1 Garand or M-1 carbine over the Thompson.  I did note in one movie Audie asked for his Thompson back when they got into town and needed the Thompson for CQB and not the Garand.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always found the full auto thompson to be quite shootable from the shoulder.  The weight of the weapon does come in handy when the trigger is pulled.  

Still, as an open bolt, it takes some time and finesse to shoot accurately with a Thompson.  Kinda like a Flintlock, 'cept it keeps going bang!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/Thomspon.jpg

Here's mine.
It's a hoot to shoot, accuracy is decent. Doesn't jam at all with factory, reloads take a bit of oomph to operate the action.
It's a bit heavy at 10.5#
All in all a fun gun.

A local shop has that very model for about $1300 if I recall correctly.  Has been there about three months.  Very heavy, comes with one welded base magazine.  How expensive are the other magazines? Website says about $70.  Any southpaws successfully fired one of these without releasing the magazine?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top