Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 1:51:54 PM EDT
Ok I go into a local FFL dealer here in Northern Illinois to set up an FFL transfer for a lower reciever.  On the phone I ask how much and they say 20% for a transfer.  I figure that's cool (~$20-25).  So I get there and she says that because it is an AR reciever that it is an 'ASSAULT WEAPON' and the charge will be 20% or $200.00, which ever is greater.  So I'm ready to just walk out and I say decide to ask why so much.  She says that since it is an 'ASSAULT WEAPON' there is greater liability involved.  So I'm thinking does that mean they add $200 to the fully assembled 'assault weapons' they sell? What... huh... flabbergasted...  I just leave.  

I mean if this the attitude of some FFL's, how do you expect the liberals to think.

PS, I know most FFL's don't think this way.  However, I noticed that most of the FFL' around here are charging $50 or so now.  Did something change?

Sorry rant off
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No, just people getting greedy.
I've told my wife that I won't live in Il, even thought her folks live in Cook County (as if I needed more reason than THAT).
Nor will I live in CA, MA, NJ, MD,or OH.
for the same basic reasons. I need tolive in a place like AZ, where there are plenty of places to shoot.
Any good, non-computer jobs in AZ??

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I would never do any business w/ them EVER again.
Find another FFL who actually knows what an "assault weapon" is & make a friend.  I use the same local guy here & he charges me a flat $20, no matter what I'm transferring (class 3 excluded, of course.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
More liability??? What kind of pens are they using to fill out the forms? I bet assualt pens........ That is outrageous
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Brownells won't even ship RIFLE receivers to a MA FFL because of the supposed liability, even though they are absolutely, completely, 100% legal (as of today anyway).
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Was getting transfers for $15 a pop....till he got shut down.  Now all I can find are %20 dealers, which I think is outragous.  You find a rifle, buy it, then some dude decides he will charge you his markup on it to let you ship it to him.  Pisses me off.  Still searching in ever widening circles from the house though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top