Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 1:56:27 PM EDT
I feel I have gotten the best gun value of my life:
A preban Ruger 10/22 (verified by me), with folding Butler Creek stock, one 25 rd Ramline mag, one 10 rd factory mag, and a cleaning kit.

Price: $40 bucks, cash.

Verified that the gun was not stolen this afternoon, and cleaned it---it was extremely dirty, and had some minor rust on the bbl.  

Another thing that embarrassed the guy who was selling it: he goes to pull the bolt to the rear, and the round is stuck (corroded) into the chamber!  After putting the cleaning rod down the bbl to clear the stuck rd, I offered him $40 to take the dirty, rusty rifle off his hands.  

He accepted, and handed over the goods, with a bill of sale.  Got done CLPing and scrubbing the entire disassembled rifle, and it now looks very nice.  The best damn $40 I have EVER spent!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmmm, sounds like the cleaning kit was the only NIB part you got!
LOL.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Also verified that the rifle is functionally perfect---no jams or misfeeds from either mag.   The fella really needed cash, had the rifle forever, and wanted money to buy a new pistol.  I hope he sells more guns in the future
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!

Good deals are always great to find. That kind of deal would make me smile for a week. The hi-cap mag is probably worth that much money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
diss,

excuse me but i have just been overwhelmed by a sudden rash of ignorance.....!!

whats the diff between a PRE-BAN 10-22 & the one i bought new last year ???
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
he can have a KEWL folding stock on his, CJ and you can't so nahnahnananahh
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Its all in your mind. Or theirs. Psychologically you are beaten if you believe there is any differance. Once beaten by laws you become a criminal in their mind and yours.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its all in your mind. Or theirs. Psychologically you are beaten if you believe there is any differance. Once beaten by laws you become a criminal in their mind and yours.

WTF?
did i catch a niner in there? were you posting from a walkie talkie?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
LMAO Quietshoez--I got the joke, though some may have missed it

Yes, Grimshaw, that means I can LEGALLY have a folding stock, pistol grip, threaded bbl, suppressor for that same threaded bbl (with tax stamp, etc), a detachable magazine, a forward hand grip, and any other damn thing I want, without the Gubment interferring with me.

OK, that's the difference.  Excuse me if I am not a rebellious 'hero' like you, who is apparently willing to completely break every law that he does not agree with.  Look me up in a few years when you need a good attorney-

BTW, that does not mean that I am not politically doing my part to ensure that the draconian AW Ban sunsets in '04.  Besides being an endowment member of the NRA (one step above life member), and a life member of GOA, I have written countless letters to my local, state, and fed'l politicians- begging them to allow the '94 AW Ban to sunset, and not replace it with an equal or more restrictive piece of legislation.  DO YOU DO ALL OF THIS TOO???  I hope so, or else you need to immediately STFU and do something about it, rather than talk tough.

Not all of us see induced ignorance of the law as a way to change the law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
SOMEONE ALWAYS HAS TO PISS ON THE PARADE, DON'T THEY???

The "Turd in the punchbowl," as one member so eloquently put it.  

Grimshaw, can't you just be happy for a brother???  Jeez...

edited, cuz I always fuck up that little toasting anim
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Cactus, since I think you are trying to bust my balls, the difference is:  I payed $40 for a rifle that is now worth at least $200---

You payed over $125 (approx), for a rifle that is now worth around $90.  See???
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a 10/22 with a butler folder on it and its a really fun gun especially with that hi-cap. Whats all this about pre ban 10/22 I thought you could do whatever you wanted to a 22 rifle???
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought you could do whatever you wanted to a 22 rifle???

Not after 9/13/94.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Run the numbers on your new Ruger again and make sure that it's not hot. Sometimes it takes a while for some PD's to get them entered into the machine. Many times the victims have to hunt around and find receipts with serial numbers and that also delays their entry into NCIC...

7th
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel bad with ya!
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow! You guys are right! I never had thought about the 10-22 being either pre or post, but what y'all are saying makes a lot of sense. I've got one from way back in about '73 thats got a folding stock, a flash hider, and a laser sight on it. It's my favorite "frog" gun". I would really like to have another one though.

Maybe I'll take a couple of my "Liberty" 10-22's and chop 'em up to put folders and FH's on them too. Guess I could even rig 'em up to take an M1 Carbine bayonet too, huh. Wouldn't that be cool. Then I just gig them frogs instead of shootin' 'em.

All kidding aside, dissipator556, $40 bucks for anything even resembling a complete working firearm is a fantastic deal today. Especially if it's a pre-anything!

JMHO . . . Doug  
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
does anyone have the URL to the Ruger forum ??????
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#17]
diss,

well actually i paid $95  has a scope on it & no i am not trying to bust yer balls because i do not belive you have any !!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Great buy.  At the Louisville gunshow a few months ago I saw a 10/22 with a folder and 25 rnd mag that was spray painted and beat to hell and the guy wanted $150 for it.  I passed and then got second guessing myself.  Still glad I didn't, but man would I like to find a deal like yours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Where can you find out if your 10/22 is pre-ban?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
now......!! wyth all the friggen bullshyt aside......

can anyone give a serious answer about the difference in a pre-ban 10-22 & a post-ban ?????

i ask this question because i have never heard of this bullshyt nonsense on a 10-22, my rifle does not have a "POST-BAN" stamp on it & it looks just lyke my friends 10-22 that is over 20 years old.......
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
can anyone give a serious answer about the difference in a pre-ban 10-22 & a post-ban ?????

i ask this question because i have never heard of this bullshyt nonsense on a 10-22, my rifle does not have a "POST-BAN" stamp on it & it looks just lyke my friends 10-22 that is over 20 years old.......

He did actually answer you...

Quoted:
that means I can LEGALLY have a folding stock, pistol grip, threaded bbl, suppressor for that same threaded bbl (with tax stamp, etc), a detachable magazine, a forward hand grip, and any other damn thing I want, without the Gubment interferring with me.

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks SunDrop---
Cactus, don't hate your brother just because he got an outstanding deal.  Believe me or not, I've got better shit to do than post lies on the internet.

Anywho, here is the site for those who want to check the preban status of their Ruger rifles.
www.sportables.com/ruger_rifles.htm
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, here is a link for finding out if a gun is stolen: pas.fdle.state.fl.us/guns_search.asp

As far as I know, the FDLE only lists guns that have been entered on the FL state system.  Since I am in the middle of the state, chances are that the gun was stolen locally, if at all.  Of course, it could always be from out of state, but not very likely here.

BTW, I have run a gun through this before and found that it had been stolen 5 years ago.  I returned the shotgun to the guy, and he was grateful as you can imagine! (it was a revelation 16 ga shotgun)
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#24]
diss,
i do not hate my "brother", & i never said you are a liar, i just want a logical answer rather than a fuggin smartass answer that says "because i can".........

sundrop,
that is a smartass answer, not a logical intelligent nor legal answer, if you don't know just keep yer remarks to yerself OK ?

if it is only the S/N then someone say so, because i see no difference in the two.......

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Cactus,
I have explained to you the difference between a pre and post ban rifle.  I believe you are busting my balls, so I won't feed the troll.  

If you still have questions about pre v. post differences, I suggest that you call your local BATF office for a better explanation.  

Now, if you want to have a philosophical argument about this topic, go hijack someone else's thread.  You're preaching to the choir over here- don't shit on my parade.

for shitting on my parade, again
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
diss,

well actually i paid $95  has a scope on it & no i am not trying to bust yer balls because i do not belive you have any !!!!!!

Ahh, ye of little faith!  
I guess after my "They Got Bin Laden" thread, I need to build up my credibility.  Nobody wants to get labeled a dishonest assclown.  

Edited to add that I missed the ad hominem attack in this troll's post---thanks for the kind words, assclown.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for posting the website to tell if it was a pre or post ban rifle.  Mine was made in 1987.  So, does this mean I can do anything to it?  It came from the factory with a regular birch stock 10rd and 30rd mag.  I had the box but it got lost somewhere.  I just use it for squirrel hunting.  And I only paid $100.00 for it, new in the box.  Wish I kept the box.

Thanks
BTN
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Hello
Here is a 1967 model  5 Digit converted with the evil features in 1985

TargetShooter2

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#29]
A few years ago a large NorCal gunshop found out the difference between a pre and post ban 10-22. They got busted by BATF for installing and selling a few post's with side folders. The fine was a paltry $500,000.00...!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#30]
diss,

screw you & your parade !!!!!!

if you had the intelligence to properly answer a legitimate question, your parade wud not get shit on !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:22:31 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, now I am confused....

Does someone have a link to the actual AW ban text?

I posted about pre and post ban .22s at some point and someone came back with a quote that specifically mentioned centerfire rifles in the ban - which would exclude .22s.

The quote may have been California law instead of Federal, but I didn't think so at the time...
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Congrats, Dissipator.  No turd in the punchbowl or rain on the parade here, you got a smokin' deal.

Cactus, even though you appear to be a dickhead, let me take a shot at this.  There is no difference at all between a pre-ban and a post-ban 10/22 except the date of manufacture.  I still think, however, you might have legal problems hanging "assault stuff" on even a pre-ban 10/22 because you might be "making an assault weapon" if it didn't have the "assault stuff" on it prior to 1994.

Just kidding about the dickhead part.  Sorta . . .
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Congrats, Dissipator. No turd in the punchbowl or rain on the parade here, you got a smokin' deal.
uh, yep; that about covers it. Since you feel so guilty, I'll tell ya what.....I'll give you $50 bucks for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top