Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/16/2002 11:05:08 AM EST

hello,

I own 2 prebans, a Colt M4gery and a Colt R6430 9mm.

I rarely, if ever, shoot my 9mm AR, much preferring the .223 of the M4.

I live in California, and will for the next 4 years or so, but after that I'd like to move to Austin, Tx.

I need the $ because I need to buy my wife a special anniversary present (I am in the dog house big time so it can't hurt to go big), and if she knew I sold one of my "babies" for her present, I think she'd know how much she means to me.

anyways, will I hate myself FORVER if I sell a preban, especially since I live in California ?

thoughts ? opinions ?

-psywar
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:21:16 AM EST
I love my 9mm POST-BAN. Do not get rid of it, find another solution. When you get to Texas, you will be glad you kept it!

Then you can meet us at the Hun-farm for the semi-annual shoot-outs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:32:20 AM EST
how much?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:47:58 AM EST
If you really want to make your wife happy, i'd say go for it. Since you still have your preban M4 you could always by a Rock River or Olympic Arms 9mm upper and just swap out at will.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:54:27 AM EST
Anyone from California should feel right at home in Austin.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:59:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By psywar:
...if she knew I sold one of my "babies" for her present, I think she'd know how much she means to me.

I would not sell it.

That is setting a terrible precedent. What might you have to give up next time you need show her how much she means to you?

And a lot can change in 4 years. Circumstances could be significantly altered in that amount of time and you may not end up being able to move out of California. Then you are stuck with just one pre-ban Colt.

Have you given any thought to converting your R6430 to another caliber such as 5.56, 7.62x39, or .300 Whisper?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:11:22 PM EST
- You're in California.
- Never know, you may end up staying in
California.
- You can't buy more ARs or other AWs.

So take that 9430 9mm preban and convert it to something else fun (223, 7.62x39, etc) - BUT KEEP THAT PREBAN LOWER. You can sell off the upper & hicap 9mm magazines and get quite a bit of money. (9mm factory Colt hicaps alone are worth $$$.) Use the proceeds from this sale of 9mm upper + factory mags to give you some funds.

If your 9mm lower has the 'pinned in' mag blocks these pins can be drifted out and 9mm mag block removed. Otherwise, it's the 'wedge- in-with-setscrews' type of mag block.

You can keep the fire control parts, they should work fine in 223. [Depending on the type of mag blocks you have, you may have to change the bolt stop back to 223 type.] You prob also wanna change the recoil buffer + recoil spring
to ones for 223.

Drop a new upper on, and voila! Another AR.

Don't complain about too many ARs. I wish I had more than seven ARs ;-)

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:23:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By psywar:

hello,

I own 2 prebans, a Colt M4gery and a Colt R6430 9mm.

I rarely, if ever, shoot my 9mm AR, much preferring the .223 of the M4.

I live in California, and will for the next 4 years or so, but after that I'd like to move to Austin, Tx.

I need the $ because I need to buy my wife a special anniversary present (I am in the dog house big time so it can't hurt to go big), and if she knew I sold one of my "babies" for her present, I think she'd know how much she means to me.

anyways, will I hate myself FORVER if I sell a preban, especially since I live in California ?

thoughts ? opinions ?

-psywar

In 1988 after some neurotic shot up a school yard in CA and Roberto Roosi was passed I sold off my collection to prove my love for a woman. Worst decision I ever made. The relationship lasted another year or so. I'll always regret selling off my first Colt AR-15 Sporter and my first home built SGW carbine. Took me years and more money to build it back up and beyond to it's present state.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:26:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/16/2002 12:27:38 PM EST by Watch-Six]
In your situation I would keep the 9mm. I had a Colt 9mm CAR back when they first came out several years ago. IMHO it was the most useless rifle I have ever owned. A fun plinker, but low powered and very inaccurate at extended ranges (50-100 yards). It couldn't hold a candle to a 223 carbine in any way. No one wanted it. I couldn't give it away. Times have changed. Now you will not be able to replace it. I sometimes regret not having mine to mow down steel at the indoor range, however a 223 carbine is much more practical. Still, I would not cash out on any preban, especially in California. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:37:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bwiese:- You're in California.
- Never know, you may end up staying in
California.
- You can't buy more ARs or other AWs.

...BUT KEEP THAT PREBAN LOWER. You can sell off the upper & hicap 9mm magazines and get quite a bit of money. (9mm factory Colt hicaps alone are worth $$$.) Use the proceeds from this sale of 9mm upper + factory mags to give you some funds.

I agree 100%. Selling the upper and mags should get you a good chunk of money. I wouldn't sell the registered part (lower) as you cannot get another one while in California. Something may come up and, Heaven forbid, you may split up with your wife or stay in California. Hopefully neither of those scenarios occurs, but play it safe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:38:58 PM EST
Did you register it as an assault weapon in the state?? don't answer it.

If you did, you will have to go through a Assault weapon dealer to sell it. or I think you can carry it other state to sell it in a gun show(I am not too sure about this).

If you did not register the weapon, I think it is best to sell it yourself in another state.

If I were you, take out a loan or open a credit card for your wife's gift, that Colt 9mm pre-ban is gem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:44:42 PM EST

thank you all for your input, i am now looking at other options, including just selling the 9mm upper & mags, while keeping the preban lower.

here is a pic what you guys "saved"

http://www.stiefelmaier.com/images/hobbies/gun_photos/9mm_ar15/small_9mm_ar15_for_sale00.jpg

-psywar
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:42:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By SMGLee:
You will have to go through an assault weapon dealer to sell it.

I bought a pre-ban rifle from a gentleman in California last summer and he just shipped it right to my dealer.

Psywar, nice rifle. I hope we have truly saved it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:49:10 PM EST
Wait! Wait! Don't listen to those bozos! Sell it! How much?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:19:15 AM EST
hey KEEP IT!!! you can replace a wife but you cant replace a pre-ban.... j/k find another way just whatever you do don't sell it you'll hate yourself!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:28:58 AM EST
I hope you keep it, you obviously know what a good weapon is because you own two prebans. I lost my preban 9mm AR that I let my brother borrow. After he died his wife gave it away not knowing it was mine. I will always miss that weapon, and I know you will too. The lower IS the weapon so if you have to sell anything keep the lower and sell the upper. BTW that is a mighty fine looking weapon. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:06:00 AM EST
I'll trade you my post-ban 9mm for the pre-ban 9mm. Both are considered assault weapons in Kaliban anyway...
Top Top