Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Not yet, but I'll let ya know when my new Scrapper 5 arrives
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not yet, but I'll let ya know when my new Scrapper 5 arrives

QFT!  

Look at it this way....the secondary market is so strong for these knives that you can always sell it for what you paid....even in used condition.  If you need a good fixed blade knife, made out of incredible steel with a no BS warranty, the Scrapper 5 seems like a great choice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Yard Guard.  It is a serious hard-use knife.  Here are some pics that were posted of somebody abusing their Dogfather on Scrapyard's website a little while back.
It was used to chop apart a cinder block, and bent over to see how far it could go.  It sprung back straight as an arrow.

The Scrapper 5 is going to be a hell of a good knife.  If you buy one and decide you don't like it... I am sure you'll be able to sell it for at least what you paid.  Probably more as soon as they're no longer available for order, which will happen in the near future.

I've used my Yard Guard to chop tree roots, and have hit rock.  The edge still looks good.  A minor touch-up and it is always good to go.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
First, they way they do orders...
They'll announce on their forum that there's a new knife coming up for sale, usually "soon."  There's a running joke about "two weeks" and Busse Standard Time (BST).  Then, after however much time passes, they'll announce that it's now up for orders.  They'll take orders for somewhere around 4-6 weeks, again Busse Standard Time, so who knows, and they post a last-call after which time they stop taking orders.  Then they start making knives and filling orders.  Then, after some more Busse Standard Time goes by, they'll repeat the process.

Now, for the steels...

Most Scrapyard knives are SR-77, which is a properly heat-treated version of S-7, a shock steel used to make jackhammer bits.

The current knife, the Scrapper 5, is going to be SR-101 steel, which is Swamp Rat's regular steel.  I think it's a modified ball-bearing steel, possibly.  The same thread I got those pics from, also had pics of the same guy doing the same things with a Swamp Rat knife, made of differentially-hardened SR-101, with equally impressive results.  It just didn't bend over as much.  The Swamp Rat M6 pictured in my previous post is differentially hardened SR-101.  That knife feels like an absolute tank.  I bet I could stab my way through a brick wall with it if I had to.

The Buck Nighthawk is made of 420HC, which is a version of 420 stainless, a mediocre blade steel.  However, with Buck's heat treat, it ends up being a decent steel, and this knife is capable of taking a lot of abuse.  I hereby proclaim that, for the money, the Nighthawk is a good knife.

All of the Kabars I've ever used were made of 1095.  I believe there are a few now made of D-2 as well.
And you can still go buy their knives at inflated prices on Bladeforums and ebay anytime you want!  They also have a guy who makes the gunshow circuit somewhat and sells them.  I've bought a couple at the local Indy 1500 Gun & Knife show.  They typically have a large table/booth setup at both Knob Creek and the Bladeshows.  There's also the Busse Company Store, operated by some guy out west, that sells them as well at company pricing.  But you're always limited to what they have on hand.  You won't always find these:

edited:  A Ground Pounder.  Sweet.  I like Grayman Knives.  If I wasn't so addicted to Busses I would probably order one.

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I almost bought an SAR-4 and a nuclear meltdown outlaw zombie whacker some other initials etc etc last week, but they sold out of the Busse Company Store while I was dithering. They still have that Sus Scrofa's that no one wants

I bought a Nuclear Meltdown Outlaw Zombie Whacker at Knob Creek!  It's a real tank.  But yeah, I don't like the Sus Scrofa.  That knife is dismissed from my sight.  I looked at the SAR-4, but didn't get it.  I ended up ordering the Scrapper 5 though, and at this price, I can also afford the LE when it becomes available!  
But after this, I need to curtail my knife spending for a while.  I'm going to start focusing my extra money in a different direction.  I'm thinking cheap BFE acreage in Nevada, maybe Colorado...

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Found a dude that is gonna sell me a "NIB" S.O.D.

Stoked to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Found a dude that is gonna sell me a "NIB" S.O.D.

Stoked to say the least.

Cool.

SOD is a great knife...

First thing I did with mine when I got it was this...

Scrapper 5 is already on order...
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
DAY-YUM!  Pitbull, if you ever want to offload that tan SOD let me know!

Over the last few months I've developed a raging stiffy for the tan SOD....
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't it though?
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned quite a few Scrapyard knives, they are great knives!!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Billy....Funny seeing you here!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#15]
well I will soon be drinking heavily of the scrapyard koolaid...  I bought a yard keeper and an SOD!!  Looking like I'll probably order a scrapper 5 too...

I am stoked!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Got it. Went camping this past weekend. Awesome. It's like a mechanical light saber.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Got it. Went camping this past weekend. Awesome. It's like a mechanical light saber.

Sweet!  Now, let me just say... welcome to the addiction.  It's worse for me than BRD.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
So where can I actually order one?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Secondary market.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top