Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:42:25 PM EDT
I need a new pocket knife for everyday carry.  Does anyone here use this blade?  How difficult is it to sharpen?

Thanks for any input.  Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

-Fidel
Out
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Endura in VG-10 steel either PE or serrated will serve you very well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I every day carried one for a year or so and I have to tell you don’t do it.  I broke the tip 4 times and had the lock fail on me one time.  As Troy stated this is a weapon only and has 0 utility.  If you want a hawk bill try the harpy the tip is much more robust and useable.  
To there credit Spyderco replaced my blade 3 times before the just reground the tip and asked me to stop trying to carry the everyday knife.   Heck the should have done that the first time to be truthful.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one. It is nearly useless for any kind of utility work, and is a bitch to sharpen.

I carried it when I was stationed in California, but here in America I prefer to carry a knife that is more useful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Works great on jeep tops.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]

ETA: Any other suggestions.  I would like to stay in the 4" blade length genre.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Works great on jeep tops.

roflol.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Hawkbill knifes are only good for slashing and cutting rope.
If you want a Spyderco go with the Delica or Endura, much better all purpose blades.
Plus if needed for defense, they can be used to stab as well as slash.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it would make a seriously cool carpet knife.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one but have never needed to sharpen it, I would only use it on human flesh and have not had to use it , yet??
It will be a slash and go, if I didn't have my G19 on my person.
How and the hell do I sharpen it, if need be?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Strictly for defensive purposes as mentioned above. If you are set on Spyderco, check out the Manix. Very tough and a great cutter. The Chinook is also a great blade, but I believe the Manix to be a better all around design. Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Strictly for defensive purposes as mentioned above. If you are set on Spyderco, check out the Manix. Very tough and a great cutter. The Chinook is also a great blade, but I believe the Manix to be a better all around design. Good luck.

+1...absolutely
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Can the Civilian be had for under $100?

CW
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A poster above said you can't stab or jab with the Civilian, I don't think that is true.
You have to get creative, I could make a bigger wound than with a straight edge.
I would put the knife point in  the person attacking me, and then pull inward and make a half circle, the guts or other organs would come out with the turn.
Anyone agree?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A poster above said you can't stab or jab with the Civilian, I don't think that is true.
You have to get creative, I could make a bigger wound than with a straight edge.
I would put the knife point in  the person attacking me, and then pull inward and make a half circle, the guts or other organs would come out with the turn.
Anyone agree?

That would be harder than you think.  The blade is so thick, and with the serrations, it would be hard to pull the knife through flesh.  It's designed for slashing, when you can build up some speed and momentum with your arm before the blade engages the target.  It isn't like a straight razor or scalpel, which are much, much thinner and have straight blades that are better suited for slicing.

-Troy

Troy would you like to volunteer for thee above?

Sounds like you don't think much of the Civilian, even as a defensive knife??

Perry
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, I recognize that it is designed to fill a very tiny niche, and IMO, other designs fill the same niche just as well, but are far more practical for the 99.9% of the time that the Civilian would be worthless.

Note: I own a Civilian, and about 30 other Spyderco knives.  But NoKarma has me beat by a LONG shot when it comes to knife collections.  Heck, he sold me a few of mine.

-Troy

I don't go camping or use mine for work, so it would only be not practical 25% of the time.
You are right it is a specialty knife kinda like a filet knife, what can you do with that besides filet fish?

Perry
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top