Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/18/2012 5:29:34 PM EST
I've heard good things about Oxpho, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot. I paid 180$ for this rifle, so I'm not too concerned with getting the best results - mostly I like tinkering, and I'd like to keep it nice for many years to come (at least until I decide to get it re-blued professionally). It's just a bit more worn than I'd like, especially at the edges, and there are a few small rust spots on each side (about the size of a pen point).

I'm looking for a nice deep blue, but I don't expect it to look like a fresh hot blue.

Does anybody have an pictures of anything they've done? Also, how much would I need to do the whole rifle? Does anybody know how I can get the top of the receiver to look parkerized like it is now?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:38 AM EST
Degrease with denatured alcohol and degreased 4-0 steel wool on the parts that look rough.Degreasing and surface rust removal are key.

For touch up after that apply with a cotton swab, while wearing nitrile or latex gloves. Pour some of the oxpho blue into a shallow dish and dip the swab into that. Change swabs often. Discard unused solution do not pour back into bottle.

It may take multiple coats. Afterwards oil with good quality penetrating oil. It will actually darken up over a period of a day or two.

Check Brownells website they have a set of step by step instructions that are first rate.
Top Top