Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/12/2011 9:29:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 7:49:46 AM EST by BlindFaith429]
So here is where I'm at.

I bought one of those Magnum Research 22 WMR Semis last summer on a whim. It is a great gun and I have no problem with it, but I am not having a much fun as I thought I would have. I have a 15-22 that I shoot much more and i always have a good time with it. I feel like I do not have the patience to take my time with the MR and shoot it like a target gun.

When I try to shoot groups with it, I get bored, but when I use the gun to play poker at the range (shooting playing cards), I have a good time, and I know I can hit the cards with ease.

This past winter, I had the chance to shoot a friends Marlin Model 39. His was customized with a straight stock, 16" octagon barrel and the thing was a dream to shoot.

I am thinking about getting a nice lever 22LR to replace the MR. I would leave the lever with irons and just use it for fun plinking. I do not hunt, so the 22WMR does not pose any bigger benefit then the 22LR. By swapping, I will be stocking only 1 caliber instead of 2, and a cheaper caliber at that.

So what do you guys say? Swap the MR for a nice 22 Lever or keep the MR?

ETA: Doing lotsa thinking, and I am going to stick with the MR. I have it all set-up the way I want, and I know what the rifle can / can't do. I really like it and have no issues with it. Just gonna stick with what I have and have fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:18:15 AM EST
If it were me, I'd keep the MR but sell off the trigger group to help offset the cost of the levergun. You can always stick a factory 10/22 trigger group back in the MR pretty cheaply.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:33:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Zardoz:
If it were me, I'd keep the MR but sell off the trigger group to help offset the cost of the levergun. You can always stick a factory 10/22 trigger group back in the MR pretty cheaply.

Unfortunately, it's only one or the other.

The MR came with a factory 10/22 trigger group, which was crap, so I replaced it with a KIDD 2 stage. If I sell the 2-stage, I'm selling the whole rifle.

I was doin some thinking, and I am probably gonna keep the MR. A lever will be fun, but I already have a plinking toy. Also, just because it is a target quality gun, doesn't mean I can't use it for fun. I am jus gonna forget all about groups and shoot fun things and I should be okay.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:01:57 AM EST
I was doing some looking and I came across the Henry Frontier Rifle. It is a very pretty rifle, blued, 20" Ocatagon barrel, Straight grip walnut stock, and available in 22 WMR.

I was thinking, keep the MR, and maybe sell / trade the 15-22 for a 22 WMR lever. Still stock one ammo type, have a fun toy (lever) and have the target style rifle (MR). This might be a better option for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:51:49 PM EST
If you are not hunting, I would seriously rethink going with .22 mag. if all you are doing is punching paper then .22LR. is just fine and very cost effective.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:25:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By kabob:
If you are not hunting, I would seriously rethink going with .22 mag. if all you are doing is punching paper then .22LR. is just fine and very cost effective.

+1

The cost of shooting the .22 Mag is MUCH greater than a .22 LR. If I were just plinking and doing practice I would be using a .22, NOT a .22 Mag. The .22 Mag is a fine round for what it was made for: hunting game that is too big for a .22 LR and not really big enough for a centerfire.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:24:56 AM EST
Thanks all for the input.

If it makes any difference, I am usually at the rifle range maybe 2 to 3 times a year if I'm lucky, so paying a little extra for ammo I don't mind. If I was shooting every weekend, then I would go with the 22LR, no brainer. I am usually at the clays section 9.75 times out of 10.

Also, the only problem I see with trading in the MR for a 22LR Lever is that I wouldnt have any type of "reliably accurate" rifle. All I would have is 2 plinking toys (I have no other rifles). While this may work for plinking, it would make it more difficult if I try to reach out past 50 yards and want to hit a target reliably. My 15-22 has a red dot on it, and the Lever I would leave with irons.
Top Top