Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT by whatsthedotonmychst4]
I was at a gun show today and i am thinkin about buying a poly-tech M1a. It has some rounds through it but looks good to me. Guy says it has a chrome lined barrel with a match grade front sight. He wants to sell it for $850. Ive read mixed reviews, some saying its crap because of loss of headspace problems yet others say their weapons function flawlessly with no loss of head space. Im not looking to do any competition shooting, just some fun shooting and maybe at a couple deer.

Ive done a search on the sight but can't find anything relating to a poly-tech m1a.

Can i get ya'lls opinion?

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
Buy it. I have 2 and love them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:28:15 PM EDT
Thank you for the feedback. Do you think $850 is a good price for a used one with plastic furniture?

I looked around online and found a new one for $895 with wood furniture.
At the gun show the price tag said $895 but he said he would give it to me for $850. Think i could talk him down a little? I got his card so i might give him a call tomorrow about it. Who knows, maybe i can get him to throw in the PVS-2 that he had on there
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:31:26 PM EDT
Thank you for the feedback. Do you think $850 is a good price for a used one with plastic furniture?

I looked around online and found a new one for $895 with wood furniture.
At the gun show the price tag said $895 but he said he would give it to me for $850. Think i could talk him down a little? I got his card so i might give him a call tomorrow about it. Who knows, maybe i can get him to throw in the PVS-2 that he had on there
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:34:43 PM EDT
Buy it. I have 2 and love them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:36:56 PM EDT
Not bad price. You might find one a little cheaper on Gunbroker, but then you would have to consider shipping and transfer fees...............
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:34:33 AM EDT
Buy it, send it off to Warbird for a U.S.G.I. bolt and fitting and you'll love it!
here is the link www.warbirdscustomguns.com
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By biggermajik:
Buy it, send it off to Warbird for a U.S.G.I. bolt and fitting and you'll love it!
here is the link www.warbirdscustomguns.com

I did this and I love mine. However I did change everything for USGI parts.

Max
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:47:50 AM EDT
$850 sounds pretty high to me. I see them regularly around here at the gunshows in the $650 range.

Don't fall for the "match front sight" bs. All that means is it is a bit thinner than the standard GI issue.

For that kind of money, I have seen some standard SA, Inc. rifles sell for that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:01:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
$850 sounds pretty high to me. I see them regularly around here at the gunshows in the $650 range.

Don't fall for the "match front sight" bs. All that means is it is a bit thinner than the standard GI issue.

For that kind of money, I have seen some standard SA, Inc. rifles sell for that.

I also think that $850 is kinda high. I remember seeing a Poly (which I should have bought) for $600 at a local store and my friend snagged a Polytech with the USGI bolt in it for $700. While it seems that all things M14 have increased in price, I'm not really sure I'd pay $850 for an unconverted Polytech.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT by whatsthedotonmychst4]
I just got off the phone with the guy and he said he would throw in the bipod and drop it to about $800 with a military discout. I think i might go ahead and get it at that price since i dont mind spending a little extra money when i know the money will stay in my home state. I also forgot to mention it has a u.s.g.i flash supressor added to it. A couple little odds and ends i forgot to mention.

I will probably just convert it to a u.s.g.i a little later when i can get some more cash.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:59:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By whatsthedotonmychst4:
I just got off the phone with the guy and he said he would throw in the bipod and drop it to about $800 with a military discout. I think i might go ahead and get it at that price since i dont mind spending a little extra money when i know the money will stay in my home state. I also forgot to mention it has a u.s.g.i flash supressor added to it. A couple little odds and ends i forgot to mention.

I will probably just convert it to a u.s.g.i a little later when i can get some more cash.

Even with all of that it still sounds overpriced to me. Then again, it's your money......
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 11:41:47 AM EDT by lithgow303]

Originally Posted By whatsthedotonmychst4:

I'd check the cost of a bolt conversion before you drop the $$$ on that rifle...

USGI bolts are now at least $125 and up now and the costs for conversions can run $100 and up, so you're already over $225 or more... Now that $800 poly is a $1K+ rifle and when you start hitting the $1K range you can, with some looking, can turn up used SA inc M1A's with all USGI parts...

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT
Buy it! You will like it. They make fine shooters untouched. The value of the Poly Tech's are not getting any lower, so they cannot be all that bad! While you are enjoying your rifle you can have fun searching for good deals on USGI parts if you want to convert it over or just enhance it. Like I wrote before, I have two and love them!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:10:29 PM EDT
I still would buy it. Polytech has forged receivers. Put that GI bolt on it and now your cooking.

Max
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:50:02 PM EDT
I agree that $800 is still pretty much on the high-end. The bipod is no biggie, really. Unless it's a Harris or similar they are only about an $80 item. The original M2 bipod is NOT something you'll be happy with. First of all, it's most likely a Chinese knockoff and 2nd, with semi-auto fire that barrle-grabbing bipod really affects impact. For a full-auto version, they are fine. For target shooting or hunting, they affect too much of your shot.

Almost all Polys now will require a bolt replacement. The bolts are notorious for being too soft. That's not a knock but an obvservation. Replacing it with a new or used military bolt will cost you about $125 as mentioned and another $35 for the work plus s/h back and forth. What you'll end up with, however, is a rock solid version of an M14 in semi-auto. These rifles are just terrific and it's my ultimately favorite and I own 25 military semi-autos in all eras and countries. I'd even grab it over my Garand which I truly love to shoot. The M14/M1a is the ultimate, do-everything rifle. It is heavy, yes, but the punch it produces and accuracy it provides outweighs everything else.

So spend the $800 if that's what you want to do. Just understand that you'll be dealing with the headspace issues. Everyone does. Knowing it before hand will keep this project in perspective.

A word of caution. Never shoot commercial ammo in it unless that rifle won't close on the "no-go" gauge. When you go to shoot that rifle the first time, make sure you load one (1) single round and fire it from a stand. When it goes bang, examine the brass to make sure the primer isn't going to pop or that the brass isn't swelled. You can, of course, also have a smith check it with a go/no-go/ and field reject gauge. That last one is not something that most smiths have, however. I do. It's used by our military to field check rifles that only shoot military ammo. If it closes on (fails) the field-reject gauge, the rifle is immediately takin out of service. The field reject gauge is shorter than the commercial "no-go" gauge. Commercial ammo quite often has thinner walls and is also loaded differently than military NATO surplus. It can withstand a sloppier head space. Commercial ammo can not.

So, proceed with this knowledge and you'll be better for it. You'll enjoy that Poly when you get it sorted out!

Rome
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:21:49 PM EDT
I have read a bit on the headspace issue and i will most likely purchase a go/no-go gauge for 7.62mm through the CMP. I also am considering just shooting the surplus military for a while. Should i just stick with U.S. surplus or is south african ok also?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:58:50 PM EDT by whatsthedotonmychst4]
failure drill
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 6:58:28 PM EDT by whatsthedotonmychst4]
failure drill
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:27:56 PM EDT
Really, if you own any military weapons in NATO (7.62 x 51) caliber, you should buy 3 gauges. Go/No-Go/Field Reject.

I'd recommend that you contact these guys: http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/main.htm

Ask them for all 3 pieces. You can easily find the two .308 (commercial and surplus) gauges in a lot of places. Forster, however, makes a 3rd gauge called the "field reject gauge". It's military and it's the one that you'll want. If your rifle (any NATO .308 except the CETME) does not close on it, then it's safe to fire surplus ammo. If it closes on that gauge, then DON'T SHOOT IT.

The military NATo ammo is different than commercial stuff as I mentioned before. Surplus.....any surplus NATO ammo will be fine regardless of origin. Spanish, Austrian, Portuguese, etc are all fine. There are differences to be sure. I find the Spanish not as accurate as the Porto, for instance. However, they all have hard primers and solid cases. At least that's been my experience.

So, if I had to have one gauge in my box and all I shot was NATO stuff, I'd have that field reject gauge. It's a military item and usually not advertised. Ask Forster for it specifically. I don't believe they advertise it for sale but it's the same cost as their other gauges.

Hope that helps.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:39:34 PM EDT
I did my M1 Carbine.

I did my Garand.

Now I want an M1A.

I am just so torn on what I want. Hell I have delayed even checking into it cuz it makes me

I am hearing LRB are the best new ones. I dont want a new one, I want an old quality one.

Springfield Old one?? How the heck do I know the old ones from the new ones? Price range? USGI parts versus???

So many questions, so much to learn.......

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:51:56 PM EDT
Cabinet man- Thank you very much for the information i believe i will probably get all three guages to be sure.
Top Top