Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 11:04:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
All I see are receivers so far, any info on complete rifles?

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
And what's with Mary had a little lamb, and Lou is dedicated?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a test/unfinished page. No links to it from any other pages.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
"The CMP has recently acquired a few hundred Carbine receivers.  We do not have any complete carbines or complete barreled actions.  The only items available are receivers.  Some of the receivers still have the barrels attached, but all barrels are considered bad.  They are bent, bulged, split, or have other major deficiencies.  All of these receivers, to include the commercial non-military Plainfield and Universal, were transferred to the CMP by the the US Army.  

These carbine receivers are in fair to good condition.  Expect some rust and pitting, considerable finish wear and weak markings."

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
When the carbines began to come in after the '86 Dole law, they were wholesaling for about $165 IIRC. I had a shoebox full of carbine parts so I called up one of the distributors and asked if they'd sell me a barreled receiver. They said yes--$95. I expected a bottom of the barrel rusty piece of shot-out junk but what I got for my C-note was a fairly clean Inland with original barrel and good bore. The gun I bulit up on it last year shot me some groups at 25 yards well under a half inch. Hard to believe that's been almost 20 years ago--it seems like just yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the carbines are here, but I'm not going to get any, and I thought I would partake in this particular feeding frenzy.  
First of all, they are not barreled receivers as had been the rumors, they are receivers only.  Second, I think they are way overpriced, and I think I can say this since I just bought a Field Grade Winchester M1 Garand for 600.00.  
Third, with all these receivers for sale, parts (and now barrels) are going to go way up in price.  

Yup, I'll sit this one out.  (unfortunatly)  

Anybody getting any?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Strange that the Army had commercial plainfield and universal receivers  

Anyway, those look to be way overpriced.  But, they will sell and sell quickly.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the CMP promote marksmanship by selling overpriced junk carbine receivers?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How does the CMP promote marksmanship by selling overpriced junk carbine receivers?

By using the money to administer the various junior programs that they offer. The also use the money to run the matches at Camp Perry as well. Afterall, they have to make hay while the sun shines because one day the guns will all be gone.

You also have to remember they price these things for what the market will bare. Personally, I agree with you, they are not much and are overpriced but I just about bet they will be gobbled up by someone.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By using the money to administer the various junior programs that they offer. The also use the money to run the matches at Camp Perry as well. Afterall, they have to make hay while the sun shines because one day the guns will all be gone.

You also have to remember they price these things for what the market will bare. Personally, I agree with you, they are not much and are overpriced but I just about bet they will be gobbled up by someone.

Couldn't agree more.  I've spent alot of my dough with the CMP over the last 6-7 years.  And haven't been dissapointed with what I bought.  

But sometimes it seems like CMP could piss in a cup, and people will line up with their wallets open. JMHO
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the best thing about these carbine recievers is that they will hopefully drive down the price of complete rifles.

In a perfect world, there are other ways the CMP could survive.  If it weren't for the old "once a machine gun, always a machine gun rule", and the fact that thousands of M14's were reduced to scrap, maybe they could have sold semi-auto converted M14's or even M16's, down the line.  Maybe there are some 1911's somewhere?  They could always try to stock up on foreign surplus rifles like Mausers or Mosin Nagants, and try to pawn those off for cheap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the best thing about these carbine recievers is that they will hopefully drive down the price of complete rifles.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I don't think that there will be enough of them available to do that.

In a perfect world, there are other ways the CMP could survive.  If it weren't for the old "once a machine gun, always a machine gun rule", and the fact that thousands of M14's were reduced to scrap, maybe they could have sold semi-auto converted M14's or even M16's, down the line.

That would have taken an act of congress to get done, literally. Also, Orest at the CMP stated several years ago that there just weren't that many in *serviceable* condition to fool with as well as the potential PR nightmare that would result. And, there are a decent amount of M14's that have to be left in the govt. inventory both as complete rifles, parts, etc.

Maybe there are some 1911's somewhere?  They could always try to stock up on foreign surplus rifles like Mausers or Mosin Nagants, and try to pawn those off for cheap.

The CMP can NOT sell handguns. It is rifles, only. That is written in their charter. As far as other foreign military rifles, I think that is a no go on a couple of fronts. First off, most of those rifles are so cheap anyway. Not much room for profit on a $50 to $150 riflle. Also, all I beleive they can sell is USGI and only those rifles that originated here and were sold, traded, lend lease, etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, the carbines are here, but I'm not going to get any, and I thought I would partake in this particular feeding frenzy.  
First of all, they are not barreled receivers as had been the rumors, they are receivers only.  Second, I think they are way overpriced, and I think I can say this since I just bought a Field Grade Winchester M1 Garand for 600.00.  
Third, with all these receivers for sale, parts (and now barrels) are going to go way up in price.  

Yup, I'll sit this one out.  (unfortunatly)  

Anybody getting any?

If you look at the availibility numbers, there's really only about 1,000 of them availible, give or take a few. I doubt that would be enough to permanently/substantially alter the pricing on the M1 carbine parts market.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.odcmp.com/Rifles/Carbine.htm

I was just going to post this

LATEST SALES NEWS:

The CMP has recently acquired a few hundred M1 Carbine receivers. We do not
have any complete carbines or complete barreled actions. The only items
available are receivers. Some of the receivers still have the barrels
attached, but all barrels are considered bad. The barrels are bent, bulged,
split, or have other major deficiencies.  All of these receivers, to include
the commercial non-military Plainfield and Universal, were transferred to
the CMP by the US Army.

These carbine receivers  are in fair to good condition. Expect some rust and
pitting, considerable finish wear and weak markings.

Please see www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

THIS IS A POST ONLY MAILING. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO [email protected].
THIS IS NOT A MONITORED MAILBOX. PLEASE DIRECT QUESTIONS TO
[email protected]

but I guess I'll skip it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't own a Rock-Ola M1 Carbine and you don't want to pay the retarded prices for one at a gun show or gun store, and you like to build your own rifles then this is the only game in town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top