Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 8:37:42 AM EDT
I also posted this in GD some time ago, but I didn't get many hits.  I figure it would be better appreciated posted in C&R.

The spare parts roll, or spare parts kit, is an 8” long, ~4” diameter leather and canvas package.  It is roughly the same size as the rifle’s scope can.  To the best of my knowledge, all ZfK55 rifles were issued with a spare parts roll and other assorted equipment.

This kit’s size is deceiving in that it contains a smorgasbord of parts, as you’ll see later in the pictures.

The roll is a tight package.  Based on the overall condition and the painted on/painted over markings I assume mine was issued.

Open sesame!

Here we see a cocking ring, two firing pin springs, a spare scope tool, and a slide with spare front sight blades.

The slide carries 12 extra front sight blades; six on the top, six on the bottom.

Let’s see what’s in the buttoned pouch…

Here we have a spare bolt cylinder, bolt body, bolt handle, and a small parts pouch.  Nothing is serialized in the kit, but everything comes stamped with the standard proof and inspection marks.

The leather small parts pouch came tied up and sealed with a lead nugget.  I wanted this option to ensure the contents of the pouch were not missing.  Opening it up, you can see a whole bunch of goodies.

The parts spread out.

In total, the spare parts roll contains the following:

1- bolt cylinder
1- bolt body
1- bolt handle
1- cocking ring
2- firing pins
2- firing pin springs
2- extractors
1- rear sight blade with range adjustment slide
2- spare springs for the range adjustment slide
1- rear sight leaf spring
1- trigger assembly
1- trigger spring
1- trigger side plate
Several stock hardware screws and locking screws
1- takedown lever spring
12- front sight blades
Various other screws, pins, tacks, rivets and springs

My kit may or may not be missing pieces.  It’s hard to say because I honestly don’t know what should come in it.  I was pleasantly surprised at the contents I have though.  If I had a spare bolt cap, I could assemble an entirely new bolt.  The bolt cap is the end piece the cocking ring fits through that locks flush against the rear of the receiver.  It has the slots to engage the rifle’s safety with the cocking ring.

I believe there are similar kits for the K31, however I believe they are more rare.  Keep this in mind: the K31 has only a few parts interchangeable with the ZfK, so this kit would be largely unusable for the K31 owner.

Now I just need to find a ZfK tool kit.

*Another word of warning to the collector about gunbroker*

Most everyone on ARFcom already knows this undeniable fact: do your homework before you click any button on gunbroker.  Here’s why:

There was an ad for one of these parts rolls priced at $668 shipped, and it was listed for about a month or maybe more.  I almost went for it as it was a nice kit, but the fact the listing remained untouched for as long as it did had me second guessing any impulsive decision I might have made.  

I decided to contact two well-known Swiss Antiques Dealers requesting further information and to see if they had them for sale.  One dealer had parts rolls in stock but only sold them as a package deal with ZfK55’s, the other had them and sold them separate.  I paid $300 for this kit, shipped from the wonderful nation of Switzerland, from Augustus Fine Antiquities.  It took 4 days from the time it was shipped to make it into my hands.  From Europe.  The people at AfA, namely Andrew Zink, are fantastic to deal with; I highly recommend them for any vintage Swiss arm or antique you may be considering.

Ultimately, I can't fault a guy for trying to make money, but I can fault myself for paying double what something is worth.  Don't make that mistake.

Original ZfK thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=845373
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice rifle and parts roll. I had been looking at that auction on gunbroker for months and wondered why it didn't sell (Either price or not the right person seeing it). Thanks for sharing your info...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's really cool. I'd love to find one for my K31. Super cool find.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone have a website as to where there may be some surplus swiss rolls to get?  I looked at a few websites and they are either not updated or they do not have any.  I never new that the swiss made these and I would love to have one to add to my collection.  Any help is appreciated and thanks for sharing info about the swiss roll!  

~ISherman
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That is really cool.  I had never seen one of these before.   And I can't help but think of a little debbie snack or something every time someone says "swiss roll"

Maybe cause I just woke up and haven't had breakfast yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top