Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2014 9:37:16 AM EDT
What can you guys tell me about these little carbines?

How do those who own one like them?

Are there any common issues or quirks with the design?

& does Ruger still keep parts on hand for servicing a busted PC9 if needed?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
I have one in .40, the trigger is pretty bad but it is very reliable. I'm not sure about Ruger's current parts availability with them, but they are very well made and robust so the chances of you actually needing any are fairly low.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:39:59 PM EDT
Have had a PC9 bought new. Love it, but yes, trigger a bit rough but a reliable carbine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:54:36 PM EDT
Pain in the butt to take down. Heavy. Trigger is fairly heavy supposedly because it was designed for police use.
Mine shoots a very tight group at 50yrd.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:44:03 PM EDT
Its a Ruger so its built tough, lasts a long time and has a pretty heavy trigger. Harder to find now, prices have gone up on them.

If you can use a search engine you can look on-line for parts. You might not like what you see however.

Good luck and think hard about why you want one of these. There is a reason they quit making them. While some like them the market for these and their competitor, the Marlin Camp Carbine, was too small to justify building them. Parts supplies tend to dry up on out of production rifles and this thing never sold in big numbers to begin with. If you just have to have one fine one in good shape. With reasonable care it should last a long time. There are shops that will actually make you parts for obsolete firearms (use your search engine) but as you should expect you will pay a big price for that service. With a Ruger you may never need to deal with this however. .
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:04:16 PM EDT
I bought one 3-4 months ago for $600 (included 4x 20 round mecgar magazines, original box, great shape). The gun is a blast to shoot. One of my favorite guns. The recoil is similar to a .22, very minimal. For what it is, it is pretty accurate out to 100 yards for a 9mm. Mine has the ghost ring sights.

The bad? My slide lock assembly started to fail shortly after I got the rifle. It would hold the slide back, but any time the rifle was knocked around or bumped, the slide would release and chamber a round (or if empty, just release). This would not happen if an empty magazine was inserted, as the magazine would lock back the slide. I sent the rifle into Ruger to be repaired (they will not send you parts for these rifles, you have to send them in to be serviced (for free). I was told their supply was running short on parts). They sent the rifle back with the slide stop being replaced. Unfortunately, the issue I was having was still present. I sent the rifle back the second time to Ruger. (David Carter?) called me when he received the rifle. Apparently he was heavily involved in the design of the rifle. He told me they had two common issues. The older models had issues with the slide stop not releasing, so they slightly changed the design for the newer models (cant remember the years). He then told me the issue they had with the newer model PC rifles was the slide stop not holding back the weight of the slide, so the weight of the slide could release the assembly forward. Ruger decided this was not a major design flaw, so they never pursued a fix for it. He squared away the notch on the slide stop assembly to tighten it up a little, but I was told the chances were it would not fix the issue. I received the rifle back, and the issue was still there.

Despite that problem I have with my PC9, the gun is a blast to shoot. If I can't find a way to fix this myself, I may end up selling the rifle and buying a RRA 9mm AR. I haven't decided yet. I like the rifle enough to not want to let go of it. I enjoy the weight of it. It is built like a tank. As others have said, the trigger is heavy, but I enjoy the weight and pull on it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:22:58 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info. The reason I'm looking hard at the PC9 is that I'm very limited in what rifles I can own due to local restrictions, "no pistol grips, mags must be blocked to 5rds... Among other things)

What ammo I can shoot is also limited, with all ranges local to me being rimfire & pistol caliber only. Not wanting to permanently block a pistol caliber lever gun, I only have a few detachable magazine pistol caliber rifles available that fall outside the restrictive "AW" ban.

The PC9 is still looking to be at the top of that list, next to the 77/357.

I was worried that Ruger would no longer service these rifles, it's good to hear that they'll still let you send them in, even if the results are iffy.

What price should I be looking to pay for one in decent shape, on GB I see them going for over 1K which seems high, I'm hoping to hold out for one under $700.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2014 8:41:17 PM EDT by SCSchultz]
I will say mine doesn't seem picky with ammo at all. I have shot wolf and Tula steel cases, winchester federal and Tula brass as well. I watched one go on gunbroker for $555 the other week, 4 mags and a buttstock mag pouch. Keep your eye out. You can get them for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2014 10:14:49 PM EDT by USM0083]
I have an early SN one with the "Police Carbine" roll mark. I bought it in 1996 as a companion to my P-89.

It's a blast to shoot, and I've had zero problems with it .

ETA: my trigger is actually pretty smooth and breaks at 6lbs and a very short takeup and reset.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:56:23 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USM0083:
I have an early SN one with the "Police Carbine" roll mark. I bought it in 1996 as a companion to my P-89.

ETA: my trigger is actually pretty smooth and breaks at 6lbs and a very short takeup and reset.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/jchan3819/20140121_202448-1_zpserxr42ft.jpg
View Quote

What optic mount is that?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:29:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DannerTrax:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DannerTrax:
Originally Posted By USM0083:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/jchan3819/20140121_202448-1_zpserxr42ft.jpg

It's a Primary Arms Gen II 30mm in Ruger 30mm medium height ring.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:58:21 AM EDT
Mini 14 mounts will work with the PC9 & PC4 right?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/14/2014 1:13:08 PM EDT by SCSchultz]
To my knowledge they do. Mini14/30/Deerfield/PC9/40 all share the same scope mount.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:29:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SCSchultz:
To my knowledge they do. Mini14/30/Deerfield/PC9/40 all share the same scope mount.
View Quote

I don't know for certain but I think the Deerfield would share the same mounts. I'm pretty sure the Mini would've different due to being based off a different recievet. The mounts I had for my Mini 14 attached to the side of the reciever I order to leave room for the bolt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:35:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JFarley:

I don't know for certain but I think the Deerfield would share the same mounts. I'm pretty sure the Mini would've different due to being based off a different recievet. The mounts I had for my Mini 14 attached to the side of the reciever I order to leave room for the bolt.
View All Quotes

What about something like this?

This is what I have on my PC9.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/741660/warne-maxima-1-piece-aluminum-weaver-style-scope-base-ruger-mini-14-pc9-pc40-77-22-77-44-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

It says it works for mini 14? I don't know from personal experience, though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:30:22 AM EDT
Sounds like the PC9 is one of the few guns that will fit the bill for the OP.

The trigger isn't just a bit heavy , it pretty much sucks. Heavy, gritty and so bad it makes the gun a handful to shoot well. This is from a guy who shoots a fair amount with older milsurps so I am no stranger to heavy triggers .

Ruger has had a great run of interesting guns over the years but dam if they can't put at least one shitty feature (usually bad triggers) on almost every single one.

I had a fairly clever Gun Smith try to clean up the PC9 I owned but he was not able to do much for me.

The OP might want to take a closer look at the 77/357 he mentioned. I have not shot one but reports are decent and this gun will be pretty flexible with ammo . I believe most of the Ruger bolt guns have aftermarket triggers available for them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:37:27 PM EDT

http://www.mikescampfire.com/images/mini14_rail/rail_2a.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/741660/warne-maxima-1-piece-aluminum-weaver-style-scope-base-ruger-mini-14-pc9-pc40-77-22-77-44-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

View All Quotes

http://www.mikescampfire.com/images/mini14_rail/rail_2a.jpg

It's possible. I did have an older Mini 14, so it didn't have the mounts for the scope. The PC-9 my father has looks like it'd fit that rail mount.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:25:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
MecGar mags are the only aftermarkets that have worked reliably in mine.
Top Top