Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2013 3:43:45 AM EDT
Request it be stickied so we can read through others oopsies in the hopes of learning to operate more safely.

I'll take the hit and post this one, since I'm the most recent to try to blow up my bench.

I had a primer stick in my RCBS auto primer feed tube, tapped it, to try and shake it free, and it detonated.  The result was one primer hitting me in the cheek and not detonating, and 2 others hitting the garage ceiling and detonating.  No injuries, just a headache and a start.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
This past weekend I seated two or three primers upside down in my Hornady LnL ap.  Not quite sure how that happened.

Only other one I can think of now is not to use a .380 case when you're loading 9mm.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I was seating .50 BMG primers when one went off in the cartridge. I pushed it a little too far into the primer pocket....  Of course it seats at the bottom of the arc of the press handle, so my face was about a foot away from the shell. Just about knocked me on my ass and left a nice soot mark on the ceiling. I now seat BMG primers wearing eye AND ear protection.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
About two weeks ago I was doing a small run of .223 on my 550. I started out ok and inspected everything, so I thought. At the end of the run I discovered two primers had been seated upside down. Now when I loaded them into the primer tube from the flip tray, they went in right. Maybe, somewhere between there and the seating they got flipped. Pulling them was funny, because I never had swung the hammer that far away from me on the 2x4. I must have looked foolish. No explosions. 😱
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the safety reminder OP.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was seating .50 BMG primers when one went off in the cartridge. I pushed it a little too far into the primer pocket....  Of course it seats at the bottom of the arc of the press handle, so my face was about a foot away from the shell. Just about knocked me on my ass and left a nice soot mark on the ceiling. I now seat BMG primers wearing eye AND ear protection.

Dayum! I probably would have pee'd my pants!
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Trying to seat primer in TZZ 45 ACP cases on my Hornady LNL AP. It went off and ears were ringing for a bit.

TZZ has tight primer pockets and some of may have been crimped.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Post this thread in the Useful Threads thread and get back to me.

[div]We don't do stickies in this forum. Why we have the Useful Threads thread.
[/div

Yesss
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Try finesse in lieu of force!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a shotshell where the primer didnt seat all the way flush because it was deformed.  No powder, wad, or shot was in the shell, so I thought it'd be a good idea to use a plastic shot gun round limiting plug as a punch of sort on the inside of the shot shell, put the shell on a scrap piece of 4x4 and "gently" tap the primer into place.

Well, BOOOM!

Wasn't such a good idea after all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top