Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 4:31:39 PM EDT
Iv been thinking about building something similar for one of my rifles but iv been looking at a few pics and what im confused about is how are they not a 1 baffle suppressor?  If you look at this pic it looks an awful lot like a suppressor...? Judging by the pic the hole in the 'baffle' looks to be around 3/8'' or even 7/16'' so obviously on a 5.56 its going to allow most of the sound and gas to pass though so is that all there is to it or is there more that im not seeing?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That is all there is.  I have one on my 6.8.  Makes shooting it bearable without hear protection.  Especially useful as that is my hunting weapon.  It is still fairly loud though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That is all there is.  I have one on my 6.8.  Makes shooting it bearable without hear protection.  Especially useful as that is my hunting weapon.  It is still fairly loud though.

Thanks. Is the hole going through the 'baffle' significantly larger than the bullet then? Just seems to me that it would reduce the sound...not much at all but any reduction would make it a suppressor..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Is the hole going through the 'baffle' significantly larger than the bullet then? Just seems to me that it would reduce the sound...not much at all but any reduction would make it a suppressor..

Yes, it's much larger, and there is not enough volume in the chamber to promote gas expansion and cooling that sound suppression depends on.  I made my own, outside profile is more "krinkov" like.  The bore is 0.406" diameter on mine.  It does the same thing as the Noveske and tones down the blast.  Still created a ridiculous fireball on a 7.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got mine on a 16" barrel.  I haven't noticed a fireball, but wouldn't really expect it.  I just exploit the sound re-direction properties.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've got mine on a 16" barrel.  I haven't noticed a fireball, but wouldn't really expect it.  I just exploit the sound re-direction properties.

I ended up buying a Noveske just to see if it was any different than my home made one and came to the conclusion 7.5" barrels make fireballs and that's all there is to it

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I guess i thought there was more to them...i dont know what...just something more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top