Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/16/2007 5:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 5:50:33 PM EDT by dump1567]
Just thought I'd share my recent purchase.

This is a Stevens model 520 invented by John Browning and patented in 1905. These were made until the early 1930's and were even sold by Sears (like the one below). There is also a Military/Riot version (520-30). (All information I learned as of this week)

I bought this from my local shop for $120 OTD with a 28" barrel (C&R eligible).
This one's a 12 gauge that hold 5+1. I cut the barrel down to just over 18". I guess these can be fired by pump action if you hold the trigger down (like the Ithaca). Haven't decided if I want to add a bead sight or not.

Here's the feature I really like. You can go real discreet with this option. It takes about 20 seconds to take down or put back together. These are also shorter in OAL than your stardard 870 (receiver is shorter).

Watch for these "sleepers" in a shop near you.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:19:20 PM EDT
Nice find at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:15:48 AM EDT
Are they designed to "slam-fire" like the Ithaca or is it just a lack of a disconnector?

The old Ithacas have a "full-auto" type of action that is designed to fire like this and it holds the hammer back until the action is locked up and then drops the hammer (provided you hold the trigger).

I've read that some other guns just lacked a disconnector and would allow the hammer to follow the action closed and fire if you held the trigger. As such, they weren't particularly safe in that usage.

I don't know if any of that applies to your gun or not, but given the safety issues related to the latter type I figured it was worth mentioning.

Either way, nice shotgun.

Now get that baby engraved, file the Form 1, and cut the barrel down another 4" or so. That's what I did to my Ithaca 37.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:50:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2007 9:05:05 AM EDT by dump1567]
I'm not exactly sure how the pump firing works. I tried reading through the Patent, but I was a little confused. Some function has to do with the recoil of the gun.

As far as going SBS, the nightmare I'm already having with my 3 pending SBR Form 1's isn't worth repeating.

Besides, this is probably going to stay at the Cali house.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:16:42 AM EDT
I have a 16 ga. like that one that I just recently acquired. How do you take it apart like you have in the pic?? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2007 10:51:32 AM EDT by dump1567]

Originally Posted By bud411:
I have a 16 ga. like that one that I just recently acquired. How do you take it apart like you have in the pic?? Thanks for your help.

Rack the slide back.

Unscrew the mag tube which is ribbed near the front (don't remember which way).

Push down on top of the barrel/mag tube so it starts to seperate from the receiver.

Push the forend forward ( forend arm should seperate from the bolt assembly)

Finish pushing down on the barrel/mag tube until it seperates from the receiver.

Reverse for re-assembly.

Reading the patent info. I have linked above may also help.

This book has the disassembly info. for this shotgun:

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly, Pt. V: Shotguns (2nd Edition)

Top Top