Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
About a month or so ago I posted up some questions about an FAL that I got for a really good price but didn't know if I got something worth keeping or not.
I got a lot of good info from you guys and found out I had some really desirable parts to work with.
What looks to be an original IMBEL barrel (?) a Dan Coonan receiver and an IMBEL lower.
It already had the majority of the US made parts I needed but as you can see was in bad need of refinishing and some care.

The upper was completely stripped of any finish. But was in good shape. It has an Inch style charge handle that has been refitted to work on the Metric upper. Barrel was in excellant shape, rifling was sharp and clean. It has an FSE US made gas piston too.
Here's the upper before.

And the barrel.

The lower as you can see had a bling-o-matic nickel finish on it.
The take down lever was different from any I had seen before too. It has an FSE M3 trigger group in it

here's both pieces together to give you a good idea of the shape it was in....

OK time for the rebirth!
I opted for the DSA X series furniture, DSA scope mount with an EoTech 512 with the GG&G mount, and to have it refinished in Norrell's socom black by my friend and shooting partner DNADuster. (Many thanks man!) He degreased it many times and blasted it with aluminum oxide media.
I picked up a new spring set for it as well.

Here it is. Let me know what you think!
Right side,

Left side,

A few close ups of the mount and rail,

And the flash hider I chose.

So.... Did I do Ok?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful,does it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it shot before I rebuilt it so I'm hoping it still does.
I did a quick dry fire function test but I probably won't get to try it out till next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sitting here waiting for good reviews?I dont blame you,thats a fine rebuild.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
She's a "Beaut" Wulf! I'm currently waiting on my FAL parts kit to arrive. I'm gonna order a DSA type2 receiver this week. Maybe you might give a 1'st time FAL builder a few sage bits of advice?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
She's a "Beaut" Wulf! I'm currently waiting on my FAL parts kit to arrive. I'm gonna order a DSA type2 receiver this week. Maybe you might give a 1'st time FAL builder a few sage bits of advice?

Thanks!
Sage bits of advice ?
Well I ain't no sage but .... All I can say is if you tear it apart completely like I did, pay attention to where everything goes and label your parts in bags. And go check out the FAL files forum.
Lots of good building info there.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks very nice, and you remembered to take photos with the mag in place.  I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful work.  Congratulations!  Tell me about that 30 round mag.  Metric or inch?  Is it a Bren mag?  How does it work?

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looks very nice, and you remembered to take photos with the mag in place.  I like it a lot.

Thanks!
You must lurk over at FALFILES.

I wouldn't dare do that one again.
I caught so much hell over that I don't think I'll ever do that one again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Beautiful work.  Congratulations!  Tell me about that 30 round mag.  Metric or inch?  Is it a Bren mag?  How does it work?

Drakejake

Thanks Drake,
It's metric from DSA.
It does look like they took an inch mag and replaced the catch on it though(I may be wrong , I'm still learning about these things as I go). But it fits as good as any other mag I have.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks Terrific!

Darn , now I may have to put an X stock on my STG carbine  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Wulf,  I have four of those 30rd metric mags coming from DSA.  

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wulf,  I have four of those 30rd metric mags coming from DSA.  

Drakejake

Cool!
I had one of the L1A1 30 rounders before but sold it a while back.
I saw these metric ones and had to get one. May go back later and order some more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It looks Terrific!

Darn , now I may have to put an X stock on my STG carbine  

Thank you!
I really like this set.
More so than any other I've tried.
And if you want you can get them in several duracoated colors or the std black or green.
I almost got the green but decided to go for the total evil blackness.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Wulf,  I have four of the Inch 30 rounders.  Two have the standard large Inch front lip.  I had to do some filing on the front and back latches to get them to fit into my Century FAL.  The other two have miniature versions of the Inch front lip and fit beautifully into my Century.  I had to work on the feed lips of all four to get them to work in my out-of-spec receiver.  Love those 30 rounders!

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wulf,  I have four of the Inch 30 rounders.  Two have the standard large Inch front lip.  I had to do some filing on the front and back latches to get them to fit into my Century FAL.  The other two have miniature versions of the Inch front lip and fit beautifully into my Century.  I had to work on the feed lips of all four to get them to work in my out-of-spec receiver.  Love those 30 rounders!

Drakejake

So you're saying you took the inch mags and filed down the catch to wrok in the metric?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Wulf,

My first FAL, a Century, is Inch, including the receiver, but the mag well is too small to accommodate Inch mags.  Yes, I did some filing on the front and rear latches of two Bren Inch mags to get them to fit.  I understand that it is common for Century Inch FALs to have a mag well too tight for Inch mags and also common to do some filing to make Bren mags work.  I didn't have to do that much work to get the mags to fit.  

Drakejake
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn good looking weapon!! Good job.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Very nice.

Thanks Bama
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Damn good looking weapon!! Good job.

Thank you,

Good screen name too, I think I tried that one now I know who got it
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Sweet, I'm digging the no BS look to it.  Hope the blasting session goes well for you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sweet, I'm digging the no BS look to it.  Hope the blasting session goes well for you.

Thanks Jollyroger.
I'm hoping it'll go well too. Don't have a reason to think it won't.

And yeah, I was going for a straight up no BS look with it. Just simple black, Not a bunch or rails and stuff on it.I debated doing the Eotech on it but any help for bad eyes is always good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW!!!!   I can never seem to find the kits when I have the cash....when I'm broke, they're all over the place.  You said it was coming along pretty well, but you didn't say it was gonna look like THAT!

Let us know what she shoots like, and I may just get off my dead ass and start my build!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
WOW!!!!   I can never seem to find the kits when I have the cash....when I'm broke, they're all over the place.  You said it was coming along pretty well, but you didn't say it was gonna look like THAT!

Let us know what she shoots like, and I may just get off my dead ass and start my build!

Well,
If I can swing that trip to SC you might get to find out first hand.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice Fal!

Its been a while since I built one.  Fun project.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Nice Fal!

Its been a while since I built one.  Fun project.

Thanks David.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice !!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nice !!!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Well Finally after almost a month of crappy luck I got to hit the range this morning.
The FAL functioned perfectly.
Ended up with the gas set on about 4 When I tried 5 it didn't extract fully.
Used SA surplus ammo.
Eotech woked great on there. The 30rnd mag I picked up from DSA functioned perfectly as well.
But it does add some weight when you pop in that full 30 rounder.
Ejecting brass does leave some nice marks on the DSA scope mount but that's no biggie.
Didn't touch the EoTech though.
Bolt hold open even works perfrct.
So all in all I am extremely happy with my build and this FAL has a permanent home in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Very nice job.

Max
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Very nice job.

Max

Thanks Max.
At least another NC member that didn't make it to the shoot today.
I only managed about an hour or so before work pager went off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Wulf, here's a picture of my mixed breed FAL. I just picked out the features I preferred from each type, and didn't worry about conforming to military models. The upper is a type II DSA I got for dealer price. I put one of the large grip handles on it, but believe I'll change it out for something smaller.  I've just turned it over to Salbo Arms for a professional park/gunkote job. Fal's are amazing pieces of mechanical engineering, don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Wulf:
You did an excellent job and can be justifiably proud. Very well done sir!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Good looking FAL Big Cheese.
I like that stock

Yes they are amazing Rifles.
Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get back to uwharrie for an NC shoot.
Just hard to drag my butt out of bed after work for a couple hour drive.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:27:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice job guys..... If I could ever figure out how to post pic's I'll drop a pic or two of the ones I had built. WarDawg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top