Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2002 6:26:18 PM EDT

What's up Bushmaster's ass?!

My understanding is the following:

Over the years Bushmaster has asserted itself from "poor man's AR" to "smart man's AR". Really, Why pay more than a grand for a Colt when you COULD pay $600 for a Bushmaster.

This argument as we all know is now null and void. Today Bushmaster is around 200 less than Colt. Why in the hell would someone spend 850 and upwards for a Bushmaster when they can either spend a few hundred more for the "real deal" or a few hundred less for a comparable copy, i.e. DPMS?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Colts have the sear block and non standard pins.  Bushmaster makes a very good AR and with the name comes better resale value.  They ask that price because people are willing to pay that much. Called free market.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Because sometimes the best is better than the
"real deal".
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe Bushmaster is the real deal now? Sure seems that way.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
if bushmaster and colt switched prices, i would still like bushy better. i would still buy neither and build an ar for 600$
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The quality was never the concern. My issue was about the price. the jacked the price up by at least $200. Did the quality really go up from 2000-2002? Did it go up enough to justify a $250 increase?  As for a real shooter I wouldn't be concerned about resale.If you want resale value, buy a pre-ban and rub it with a diaper every week. If you plan on beating the hell out of it and make use of the weapon (like myself) then quality AND affordability would be the only concerns. As such would not a $600 DPMS be a better alternative?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I too say build your own AR, save a little and learn a lot!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Pulpsmack you sound like a troll.  I will feed you anyway.

If you can get a $600 DPMS with a FORGED lower and durable iron sights, and a chrome-lined milspec barrel with a 5.56 NATO chamber, (not the ultra-heavy bull barrel that loses velocity because it is 16inches long but still makes the gun too barrel-heavy to balance correctly), please tell me where you got it from, because I want that gun for $600.

No, a "low-pro" flattop upper with no detachable carry handle does not count (note that, with the exception of the "Varminter" model, all A3 configuration rifles come shipped with the detachable carry handle from Bushmaster: you'll be paying an extra $70 to get yours).

Oh yeah, who the fuck said Colt was the "real deal"?  The last time Colt was an innovator in the civilian firearms field was, imho, just after the Civil War.  Ever since then, they've been laughing all the way to the bank by selling ordinary firearms with an extraordinary name and a neato horsey logo on the side.  Its like Nike telling everyone they make the best shoes in the world, when really they are made in the same 3rd world sweatshops for $5 a pair that everyone else's shoes are made.  If you are dumb enough to pay $120 for a pair of Nikes I guess you are dumb enough to spend "a few hundred more for the real deal."

Hey, I got a Porsche 944, it's a pre-ban, made in 1984, you can have it for only $10,000.  Anytyhing else is a copy and is inferior, mine says "Porsche" on the valve covers, theirs doesn't!  (I paid $3000, hold my beer and watch this, boys...)
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt 'the real deal"??? LMAO
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what the cost of Bushmasters liability insurance is these days?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I wonder what the cost of Bushmasters liability insurance is these days?

That's true. We must not forget that Bushy that escaped from that gunstore in Tacoma and drove itself to the east coast to murder all sniper victims.  It must be expensive to insure a company that makes rifles cabable of doing that!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Bushmaster is Mil-spec, and Colt is not.  Bushmaster service is great, and Colt's is not.

Armalite was the original producer of the AR-15.  Todays "Armalite" isn't even the same company.  The patents have run out, everybody has the blueprints, anyone can build them.

'ABCDRR' AR15's are all in basically the same range.  Colt just happens to think they can charge a premium.  Apparently they can.  Bushmaster is by far the most popular AR around today.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The quality was never the concern. My issue was about the price. the jacked the price up by at least $200. Did the quality really go up from 2000-2002? Did it go up enough to justify a $250 increase?  
As such would not a $600 DPMS be a better alternative?

Maybe their product liability insurance has probably gone up? This was even before the DC sniper incident. Prod. lia. insurance is a significant cost component in firearms manufacturing to the public.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
WTF is your point man, buy what you want and shoot it !  You
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Colt 'the real deal"??? LMAO

Someone has the sig line, "If it IS a colt, it is a copy of an Armalite"...

I have little tolerance for companies that change to appease the antigunners. Comparable to the French prior to WWII. (ie, Colt sawing off bayo lugs...)

Did it help stop an ineffective AWB? No.

"Those that are willing to give up essential liberty for temporary safety are deserving of neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin (paraphrased!)
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Man i love this place,the two most important rights we have are well represented here.  well have fun fun till the daddy takes my {50} away.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have three guns built on Bushmaster recvrs.
I also have two Colts.
The only bad thing about Bushmaster is they are
Hell to get anything from.
They are always out of stock.
I tried to get a M-4 barrel for 6 weeks and finally gave up and canceled my order.
The old Colts are good rifles, I do not know about the new guns, as I have owned both of mine longer than Bushmaster has been building them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top