Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 7:59:04 AM EDT
When I first posted here a year ago I was met with a warm welcome and had a lot of great interaction with all of you. I hope my videos have brought you the info needed to make informed purchases. But I can no longer support a site that openly extorts me for money.

Earlier this month I posted a thread in the 50CAL section sharing my "Ultimate 50BMG Giveaway". Many of you know that most of the companies I work with on YouTube have agreed to giveaway a model of whatever I'm reviewing. So, we just did a simple giveaway of a AR50, 200rds of 50BMG, a Cerakote Job, 50BMG gong, and a rear bag. The winner was a 26 year old Marine Vet. This is on top of the 5 suppressors I have given away already and we have 6 more this month to giveaway. It's one way I give back to our community, besides the charity shoots I do that are open to the public.

I just received a PM from an admin saying I must pay them or change my screen name. This is in reference to the attention I brought to the 50 BMG giveaway so no forum members missed it.

I already have a paid membership to support this site and actually just paid for another year. But now they say I must have a dealer account which of course, costs much more $. This site has a very bad reputation across the internet and I still gave it a shot. The members here in the NFA section are good to go and I thank you for the conversation over the last year. But I can not do business with a site that extorts a YouTube channel and treats them as a dealer. HKPro and NFATalk pulled the same crap, guess where I no longer visit.

Thanks for your time,
NFA Review Channel

P.S. For those of you that want daily updates and info on the giveaway you can find them on my Facebook page.

SCREEN CAP OF PM
[/URL]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a bad reputation?
Sorry about your trouble.   Seriously.
Given your post, surely there can be some middle ground where you can achieve your goals and not be a dealer.  Have you asked?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sad to see you leave, but I completely understand your point.
Luckily I already follow you on the other media locations, so I will see you over there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats ARFCOM for ya.  All about the freedoms you can afford just ask half the members here.

ETA: however if you paint enough graffiti on my wall I will eventually charge you advertising space.  So all other things aside I get it.

ETAA: who else knows about us besides the DU?  I'll be happy we got any cred at all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That's messed up, a YouTube giveaway is not being a dealer IMO.
ETA: I was following your YouTube channel before you became a member here and will continue to do so. Don't forget NOT to leave those of us out of the giveaways that don't have facebook.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for everything, OP.  Sucks it went this way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
That's pretty fucked up.  I'm totally with you man, best wishes, and I know where to find you.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I first posted here a year ago I was met with a warm welcome and had a lot of great interaction with all of you. I hope my videos have brought you the info needed to make informed purchases. But I can no longer support a site that openly extorts me for money.

Earlier this month I posted a thread in the 50CAL section sharing my "Ultimate 50BMG Giveaway". Many of you know that most of the companies I work with on YouTube have agreed to giveaway a model of whatever I'm reviewing. So, we just did a simple giveaway of a AR50, 200rds of 50BMG, a Cerakote Job, 50BMG gong, and a rear bag. The winner was a 26 year old Marine Vet. This is on top of the 5 suppressors I have given away already and we have 6 more this month to giveaway. It's one way I give back to our community, besides the charity shoots I do that are open to the public.

I just received a PM from an admin saying I must pay them or change my screen name. This is in reference to the attention I brought to the 50 BMG giveaway so no forum members missed it.

I already have a paid membership to support this site and actually just paid for another year. But now they say I must have a dealer account which of course, costs much more $. This site has a very bad reputation across the internet and I still gave it a shot. The members here in the NFA section are good to go and I thank you for the conversation over the last year. But I can not do business with a site that extorts a YouTube channel and treats them as a dealer. HKPro and NFATalk pulled the same crap, guess where I no longer visit.

Thanks for your time,
NFA Review Channel

P.S. For those of you that want daily updates and info on the giveaway you can find them on my Facebook page.

SCREEN CAP OF PM
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/Firefighter1291/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-19%20at%206.43.11%20AM_zpsy6uay2sq.png[/URL]
View Quote

You are advertising your business on their site, right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Rules are rules I guess
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all you've done on this site and on YouTube (God knows how many times I watched your vids).

But if this is the third forum that requires you to be a dealer it might just be standard procedure across all boards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
...So your not coming to ColaWarrior? It was nice while you were here then, take care.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget NOT to leave those of us out of the giveaways that don't have facebook.
View Quote

Second, Third, and Forth on that, -to ALL, not just the OP
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#15]
It's an interesting dynamic with a lot of assumptions being made from those outside looking in.  However, we have metrics available to us that show how much of our traffic is coming from forums.  In short, the number of advertising impressions a forum gains from me posting a video is several multiples the impressions it generates on my video.  Thread visitors will watch my video once, but they'll keep returning to the thread to read new posts, and every visit and every page turn on a thread is a whole new set of ad impressions for the forum but zero new views on a video.

Gun channels earn about $1.00-$1.50 per thousand views (we don't actually earn anything unless an ad is watched or clicked, though), to put things into perspective for you, but forums are likely earning more than that per ad, and there are how many ads per page on a typical forum?  I stopped posting to another well-known site when they wanted to charge me 10x/month what I made from all of the views coming from all of the forums combined.

For example, the thread I started to share my video on the Ghost M currently has 1424 views, but my traffic from all non-YouTube sources combined (forums, blogs, emails, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) is currently at 749 views.  Total.  For all sources not directly associated with Google or YouTube.  

AR15.com is some small subset of that.  Who do you think made more money off my post, AR15.com or me (currently somewhere less than 75 cents for posting and then answering subsequent questions)?

No YouTuber participates in forums to make money.  We do it because we like being here the same as you, but part of our ability to contribute to the discussions is by sharing videos, deals we might have for our viewers, and giveaways.  

Does AR15.com have a right to charge for this?  Sure.  Their house, their rules.  Does it make financial sense for a YouTube channel to pay what they're asking?  Nowhere even close, which is why I don't know of anyone who does it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#16]
This site would be awash with unmitigated shilling if it weren't for their business account policy.

Sorry to see you go, but sorry more that you can't understand the policy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#18]
To be fair, you have approached this in a manner that has personally and financially benefited you, right? You used the NFAreview name because of familiarity and maybe a little for the revenue generating aspects from youtube and others, right? So, while it is a shame that you have drawn your line in the sand, I understand both sides. I am a subscriber and I do watch your videos when they come out, and that won't change - I enjoy the effort you put into all of that. While I don't necessarily agree with the ruling, I can certainly understand it. I've run a very successful internet forum before, and it's always an interesting interpretation of advertiser vs fringe advertising vs skirting the rules. Looks like it finally became a tipping point for "them."
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone is saying "to be fair" yet they don't completely understand how a content creator is compensated.

As QuietRiot outlined above. A YouTuber makes $1.00 over 1,000 views IF they are lucky. So just to recap, the AR50 video has 7,000 views. So after taxes I've made what? $5 on it. If forums want content creators to pay then they need a more reasonable payment plan. Like I said, I'm already a contributing member and already pay more than this forum generates for me in a year. Food for thought.

At the end of the day they make more in AD money off my posts as it is. It doesn't make sense to give us the shakedown and for that. I'm gone.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You are advertising your website and youtube channel..and we all know the more visits you get to your youtube video's the more money you generate.
So please explain to me why you should be allowed to use our resources to increase your traffic and income without a dealer account when others pay for a dealer account to advertise here?
View Quote

It's not about philosophy- it's just math, and I break out the math for you above.  Retailers and other advertisers are obviously doing their own math and deciding they make more than what is being charged.  That's the answer.

Forums already make more money from our content (detailed above) than we do for posting it here, and we'd never make enough to cover the cost of paying to be an advertiser.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I don't see how you can lump him under the same category as a dealer.
Maybe have him purchase a lifetime membership on here or something?

Dude was a great addition to the forum.
Admins should really try to work with him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, I don't see how you can lump him under the same category as a dealer.
Maybe have him purchase a lifetime membership on here or something?

Dude was a great addition to the forum.
Admins should really try to work with him.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like the OP is use to getting his way.

Ones status does tend to facilitate that.

Welcome to Arfcom and the Internet bro, the great equalizer, where zero fucks is given to who you are in the real World.

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world."

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I used to hear the same argument from part time gunshops "You should charge less because my business isn't profitable" yet Primary Arms went from a little shop selling aimpoint knock offs to a huge business.

Obviously there are youtube channels that make a lot of money and also small ones that make little or nothing. A business' inability to make a profit doesn't mean they should get free advertising. I don't rent an expensive office in the biggest, plushest office building around, should they give me a price break?
View Quote

You're gaining more from the views to your site generated by his presence and content he is sharing with your audiance than he is gaining from any extra views generated by your site to his.

Your proposition costs him more money than it can make.

If you dispute this, please explain.

If you don't you're demands are unreasonable.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#29]
please see link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top