Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 4:55:31 PM EDT by LArifleMAN]
I don't have my memory card with me at the moment, so I can't post pics.

Day before yesterday I bought a P17 from a local store, the owner knows I like military stuff so her came out of the back with a really nice P17 only problem was that the stock had be sporteriezed

The rest of the gun was great, a lot of the original blue was still there marks all over the place, a little surface rust.

Flaming bombs and ealges heads, the rifle itself is an Eddystone, and that is very evident by the "E"'s that are on every single part, I mean every.

Just behind the front sight base there is a flaming bomb and 9-18, the left side of the barrel just past the reciever is marked with an eagles head and "A" "C", the top of the barrel is marked with a flaming bomb, and the right side is marked with an upside down eagles head an "V5"

The serial is 1090XXX.

Can anyone tell me anything about this gun? I'm going to try and restore it with an original stock, hanguards and what not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:24:05 PM EDT
As long as there's an "E" by the 9-18, that would be the original barrell.If every part is stamped "E" then there's not a whole lot to say, could be a mostly original rifle with a hacked stock.If it still has the original blue and isn't parked, it likely escaped the post war and WWII rebuild process, and could easily be original metal wise.

1917s are some of the most marked and stamped of the U.S. rifles, inspectors and acceptance marks all over the place. A good reference for many of the marks is Ferris' recent book, which I think is available from the CMP as well as Scott Duff.

And by the way, you might wanna watch calling it a P17. Sure, the majority of us know what you're talking about, and it's been a common term for the rifle for oh, say, eighty or ninety years. But before you know it you'll run into the Internet Ranger trying to flame you and insisting that it's a Model 1917. And they're sorta right. You can be a prick back though and point out that officially it was "Model of 1917" so that makes them 'bout as wrong as you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:52:23 AM EDT
There is an E by the 9-18

I will try to get some pics posted today if I can.

Thanks bishop.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:54:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 2:00:55 PM EDT by Dracster]

Originally Posted By bishopm14:
As long as there's an "E" by the 9-18, that would be the original barrell.If every part is stamped "E" then there's not a whole lot to say, could be a mostly original rifle with a hacked stock.If it still has the original blue and isn't parked, it likely escaped the post war and WWII rebuild process, and could easily be original metal wise.

1917s are some of the most marked and stamped of the U.S. rifles, inspectors and acceptance marks all over the place. A good reference for many of the marks is Ferris' recent book, which I think is available from the CMP as well as Scott Duff.

And by the way, you might wanna watch calling it a P17. Sure, the majority of us know what you're talking about, and it's been a common term for the rifle for oh, say, eighty or ninety years. But before you know it you'll run into the Internet Ranger trying to flame you and insisting that it's a Model 1917. And they're sorta right. You can be a prick back though and point out that officially it was "Model of 1917" so that makes them 'bout as wrong as you.

The Brits and some internal factory memos used the P17 designation. The "of" was an afterthought, so any of M1917, Model 1917 or Model of 1917 are proper.

Also, this rifle is around the time Eddystone switched from blueing to parkerization. If parked, it would still be a smoth finish as they didn't rough the metal first.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:14:25 PM EDT
Personally, I believe these are much better than the 03 series of rifles. I wish I had one such as yours.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:29:43 PM EDT
Go and rent the movie "Lost Battalion" to get a good appreciation for the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:55:21 PM EDT
For those interested

Now I just need to find all the missing pieces to make her whole again
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:36:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dracster:

The Brits and some internal factory memos used the P17 designation. The "of" was an afterthought, so any of M1917, Model 1917 or Model of 1917 are proper.

Check out page 4 of Ferris' book. Officially, there is an "of" in there from the get go, not really as an afterthought.Put there by John Thompson himself. To me, it makes not a bit of difference.P17, M1917, Model 1917, Model of 1917, most of us know what you're talking about. I just like to keep that "of" thing handy for the anal retentive numbnuts that like to go around correcting people for using "P17." Try hanging around the Jouster 1917 board and drop a "P17" into a thread. Better have nomex undies on though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:59:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bishopm14:

Originally Posted By Dracster:

Check out page 4 of Ferris' book. Officially, there is an "of" in there from the get go, not really as an afterthought.Put there by John Thompson himself. To me, it makes not a bit of difference.P17, M1917, Model 1917, Model of 1917, most of us know what you're talking about. I just like to keep that "of" thing handy for the anal retentive numbnuts that like to go around correcting people for using "P17." Try hanging around the Jouster 1917 board and drop a "P17" into a thread. Better have nomex undies on though.

Read closer on that same page. Original nomenclature on the reciever, as suggested by John Thompson himself, was just "Model 1917". 2 weeks later he insisted on the "of" being put in there....an afterthought. How's that for anal? I visit Jouster every day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:04:05 AM EDT

You can probably get everything needed to return it to original from Numrich Arms/e-gunparts for less than $100.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:05 AM EDT
LArifleMAN,

A local gun shop had an Eddystone stock on their stock rack that last time I was there. I don't know the price but I can pick it up and ship it to you if the price is in your ballpark. Also, try this post from the archive server. Poster may still have the stock left. You're going to have fun finding the hardware and matching the finish.
Top Top