Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2002 3:00:09 PM EDT
To you guys that have the actual collapsing stocks.  At what position do you usually have the stock when shooting?  (Maybe list your frame size)  I was talking to a buddy of mine that's in Marine RECON and him and his roomate (fellow RECON) both always shoot fully extended unless entering a building or some kind of confined area.  Neither of them are big guys.  (Under 200lbs.) Just interested in your thoughts.  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Fully extended, but all I have done is range shooting with it.  I collapse it for my 8 year old son.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time fully extended.  Collapsing down one or two positions is good when wearing a vest or other garment that pushes the rifle away from the body farther than normal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
fully extended
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I always use it fully extended, and I find it a little short at that.  At 5'9" I'm certaintly no giant, but I prefer the A2 stock hands down.  One of my firends that's 6'6" can't stand the telestocks.  He looks pretty rediculous trying to shoot it too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Extended.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Fully extended.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 4 pos stock and I usually set it to the second position from fully open (3rd notch).  I am 6'2" and weigh 285.  Also, when the stock is fully closed, it does not rest against the receiver, it sits about 1 1/2in from the receiver when fully closed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
3rd position on a 4-position stock, same length as an A1 stock. Lets me get my nose right up on the charging handle. I'm a pretty big guy 6'2" 275 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
3rd hole
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]
3rd notch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#11]
First notch open. I find I have much better control when moving around. I also find it easy to shoot will moving from this position. I have an M4 with a forward mounted Aimpoint so no check weld required. I also employ the forward grip. I'm 5'10" 220lbs. I do find it interesting that your friends in Force doesn't shoot closed or 1st notch. I would have figured with the FSBE on, they would have to have it closed or it would have one hell of Length of pull.

Clinth
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fully extended, but all I have done is range shooting with it.  I collapse it for my 8 year old son.

This is another reason I like the real telestocks, everyone in the family has a position that they can shoot from comfortly. Looks like Bushmaster has caught on to this, their newest stock has 6 positions, instead of 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have what used to be an old 2-position CAR stock. I got tired of having only 2 options, so I drilled 2 additional holes in the buffer tube to create a 4-position stock. I'm only 5'5", and I prefer the 3rd notch.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends.

That's the beauty of an adjustable stock.  Mines on a 16" cut down barrel.  I don't use it for precise, long range or target work, but when I'm trying to get the best out of the rifle I have it fully extended.  When just going for a walk and hanging on my back it's fully closed.  When I'm feeling goofy and walking around the house (and nobody's home) pretending I'm looking for bad guys I like it in one back from shortest.

Oh ya, I'm 5'8" 180lbs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a new four position Colt ribbed collapsible stock.

I use the FIRST notch which is about 3 inches from fully closed.  I equipped my AR with the .040" micro peep rear sight aperture and I like to get close to the rear sight.  

I have also found that it is a very comfortable position from which to fire when standing or kneeling.  I first saw this when watching expert shooters.  I just copied what they did and found out I could shoot better!

Link Posted: 3/18/2002 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I aim for the face. Oh, sorry, I thought you said Tele-Tubbies
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got an M4 with RRA 6 position stock. I usualy shoot it at about the A1 position, or maybe one notch down.

I've got a compact ACOG mounted on my carry handle and I like being up close on it.

BTW 5'8" and 170 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]

I would have figured with the FSBE on, they would have to have it closed or it would have one hell of Length of pull.

Clinth

No Comprehende
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Fully extended or the ACOG will hit me in the eye
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#20]
recon in MN eh? thats a new one. i know 4th div had some in Monatana and Mobile AL. anyway, im 6'5 250 and i always shoot it fully extended even over flak/interceptor, LBE or LBV. i think the only ive shot it partially extended was in conjunction with cold weather gear at bridgeport, oh and once it was butt-ass cold at the stumps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
To quantify.
Former F.A.S.T. Marine,and currently in Nuclear security and issued the Bushy M4A1 W/4 Pos.
From "Presentation"(From carry on Tac. sling and in a dadgum hurry!) it's nothing but collapsed.
From the "hunt"(Threat possible and you are looking for it to eliminate)it's nothing but fully extended.
The advantage of collapsing is that it is out of the way.Reference the idiom "Carried a lot,shot little".
I'm 5'10" and 190#.I'm more comfy with the stock extended,even with the armor on.
I have a couple buds that like the #3 with the armor on,but then I listen to Punk Rock and they enjoy Garth Brooks....go figure!
Best to head to the range and find the position that is most comfy and be done with it.
Don't take any wooden Nickles!

Did I hear "Freezing in the Stumps"?
Once I wore all the NBC garbage over 2 sets of Cammies in a freak snow on top of "Sally" in April!Still froze my Michigan Butt off!
Lava dogs should be Banned!
Cheers!
S-28
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#22]

recon in MN eh?

I live in MN, they are staying in North Carolina now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Fully extended.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#24]
There is a good article on this issue written by Pat Rogers in the December 2001 issue of SWAT, The Fighting Stance And Length Of Pull.

Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Tuuka, what did he say?

In a nutshell.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, if i recall it correctly. Since the length of pull on the M16A2 is rather long, especially with their current FSBE armor, the use of telestocks fully closed or one notch open seems to be popular. With the front KAC grip the weapon can pulled very close to the body in a sense. I think Pat Rogers even recommended the use of the telestock so for other purposes than warfare also.

You can always ask him at Tactical Forums, www.tacticalforums.com

There is a Force Recon forum there.

I tried shooting my Bushmaster M4A3 at the range of about 30 meters with the stock closed and one notch open, i did not like it very much since the weapon recoil seemed a bit stronger, but i have to do more shooting when i get the KAC forward grip i have ordered. I think the forward grip will aid a lot with shooting the tele stock collapsed more and in general shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#27]
1 Click out lets you actually walk, with the weapon up and sited (with iron sites or like with my Weaver Red Dot), in close quaters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a RRA six position telestock.  I use it in the fully extended position and store the rifle in the fully collapsed position.  However, if I'm in my full leather coat and sweater I'll use it in the fifth positon.

Other shooters use it on the fifth and fourth notches.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I was at a very big gun show Saturday at the MN State Fair grounds.  I held a couple different preban M4s.  They were all 3 position.  I couldn't even shoulder the rifle in the middle position.  I would definately need a good tactical sling to add some resistance if I was on the 1st or 2nd notch.  I'm definatley gonna get a collapsable stock on my Bushmaster M4 postban if this AW law goes coput.  They are very sweet!!!  Later
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top