Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2013 4:23:04 AM EDT
In an effort to shoot more for less, I'm trying to reload plinking ammo so I can shoot more.

My goal is 2 MOA or better out of any milspec AR. Cheaper the better. So I need these questions answered:

Which powder? and what is a good starting load?

Is there a cheaper option than hornady 55gr bullets (9cents per round currently). I don't mind using pulled bullets if I could find some.

What is a cheaper primer that is reliable?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Pull down bullets
Pull down powder
Tula primers
I assume you have brass?

Now where can you find this?  That is the rub   http://www.hi-techammo.com/  Its all out of stock
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found that the bullet weight is one of the most important factors. I can bench shoot 1 1/2 minute with 69 grain bullets; the 55 grain ammo is more like 3-4 minutes.

If you're new to reloading, you may wish to start with a single-stage reloading tool, just so you don't get confused by performing too many steps at one time. My Dillon usually performs 5 actions with each pull of the handle, and you need to keep track of these actions or you'll end up with a bunch of spilled powder, or worse.

It is possible to start "cheap," but for volume, go with a progressive loader, or a semi-progressive like a Dillon 550b.I got one when the price of the loader matched the price of a case of 5.56 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Bullet weight has nothing to do with accuracy which is more a function of the quality of the bullets.  A 55 grain SMK will do sub MOA all day if it was properly loaded and shot out of a good barrel by someone who can shoot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullet weight has nothing to do with accuracy which is more a function of the quality of the bullets.  A 55 grain SMK will do sub MOA all day if it was properly loaded and shot out of a good barrel by someone who can shoot.
View Quote

????

each barrel twist will favor some weights over others.

that said, fine a powder that measures easily and bullets that your barrel prefers and be consistent.

find someone local to help also
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you're going to get a consistent 2 MOA out of pulled bullets.  In my experience, pulled bullets generally group as well as new, but you're going to have around 20-25% flyers out a couple of inches for no apparent reason.  For practice or bang'in steel at the range, I consider that more than acceptable.  You may as well, but just be aware.

For the money, the Hornady 55gr ball and SP's are probably your best bet.  Do yourself a favor and drop some coin on one of the 6k batches.  It's be a chunk of money, but you'll be set up for awhile and can concentrate on other components.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In an effort to shoot more for less, I'm trying to reload plinking ammo so I can shoot more.

My goal is 2 MOA or better out of any milspec AR. Cheaper the better. So I need these questions answered:  2MOA on the cheap... might be kinda tough.

Which powder? and what is a good starting load?  As long as it is a ball powder, for easy measuring

Is there a cheaper option than hornady 55gr bullets (9cents per round currently). I don't mind using pulled bullets if I could find some. Hornady 55gr FMJ is THE cheap accurate bullet, IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better choice.

What is a cheaper primer that is reliable? Wolf and Tula primers

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot me a message ill see if i can shed a lil ligjt on things gor you.
Ive been rdloading for years and believe m
In keeping it simple and basic, i use Bullseye for most of my pistol
Loads, fmj out of glock barrels, no plated bullets, though they w work,
Anyway , i could go on and on.
A good  stainless steel cut wire tumbler w dawn detergent and
Water spot remover works better than vibratory, also, get your primers out before
Tumbeling in  polisher. Works best. Like new brass.
D
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
In addition to following instructions of the Moderator, please make sure you have at least one good reloading manual, preferrably 2-3.  Read and understand before you act.  Also there is a good data on line at places like Hodgdon's and Accurate Arms web sites (both powder makers of good powder choices for .223).

Many powders will shoot .223 well, its about one of the easiest cartridges to reload well.  These include H335, AA 2520, AA 2230, BLC-2, Win 748, Varget, IMR 4895, (not in any particular order), and more.  Good places for components, you can google them up:

Bartlett Reloaders
Poly Gun Bags
Widener's
Midway
Graf & Sons
Midsouth Shooters
Natchez Shooters
Pat's Reloading
Cabela's
Powder Valley
Sinclair Intl
Top Brass
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Once fired brass. Get it free at range from non reloaders.

Bullets - Hornady FMJ is best shooting FMJ, but prices on those are kinda high now. I'm seeing them for $14 per 100. Look to varmint bullets that are sold in large quantities.

Powder - Whatever you can find at this point. Ball powders are best for metering.

Primers - Hard to find for good price now. Look to Tula and Wolf for cheap ones. Otherwise CCIs cost around $32 K.

I've quit shooting .223 right now. Can't find components to load for it. I'd rather shoot my 6.8 SPC since it's not that much more to load for it now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

PREACH IT!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
"Reload" and "cheap" don't go together in the same sentence
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been reloading awhile but I always bought plinking ammo and only loaded match type ammo.

I'm just trying to find cheap methods for plinking now. I have plenty of brass but looking for cheaper bullet and primer options. Typically using federal and CCI 400 now.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll review up top as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Using todays prices, I think unless you get an exceptionally good deal somewhere typical cost to reload:

$0.09 / bullet (hornady 55gr sp or fmj your choice)
$0.04 / primer
$.003 / gr of powder (at $170 for an 8lb jug) times say 22.5 grains which is middle of the road charge on a lot of 223 powders = ~$.07

Puts you right about $.20/round not including brass. Beating that with today's prices would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PREACH IT!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PREACH IT!

I was going to jump in on this but can only say bullet weight consistency can affect accuracy.  Selecting a bullet weight and then working up a load for it in a certain gun is not that hard unless you've really jumped beyond the norms as far as suitable weight for the twist.  That's the joy of being a reloader.  

FWIW the hornady 55 fmj's have been very good for me as far as accuracy, better than winchester, IMI, and no name (likely prvi's)  Easily sub 2 moa bullets if you can hold.   The others can vary widely.  The hornady FMJ's aren't match but they're better than the rest as far as QC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pull down bullets
Pull down powder
Tula primers
I assume you have brass?

Now where can you find this?  That is the rub   http://www.hi-techammo.com/  Its all out of stock
View Quote

This is my combo... hopefully it will become avalable again soon.

I worked it out to .12/round but I had to purchase large quantities before everything dried up. I think I am someware around .16/round with the new powder I'm using.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the Hornady 55 gr SP over the 55 gr FMJ, but either are better than pull down bullets.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Just shoot wolf.  By the time you add in cost of equipment,  and amount of time you spend preping and loading, its not really worth it if you are doing it just for plainking ammo.

But... If you want to get into reloading for match ammo, then that's a different story. Fggm 308 sells for 1 dollar a round, you can reload it for maybe 40 cents or so. Big difference from buying 556 for .25 cents per round and making for 15 to 20 cents per round.

Preping thousands of 556 blows

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top