Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 7:22:58 PM EDT
I installed a tang rear sight and love it.  Problem is, the factory leaf rear sight is in the way (technically, it co-witnessess, kinda).  The leaf is rivited on.  If I want to take it off without messing up the rifle, what should I do?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you don't want to destroy the original rear sight, maybe install a taller front sight to get up over the other.  Aren't they just drifted in? How much adjustment is there in the tang sight?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
H78,

The rear leaf should just be dovetailed in and you should be able to tap it out with a hammer and brass punch.  Although I haven't installed it yet, I got the scope adapter which replaces the rear leaf and the instructions which came with the adapter said to do just that and replace it with the weaver rail and set screw.  

I would go out and do it now to test it, but my M72 is sitting in my cabin in Virginia 600 miles awayhammer
Cheers  

Edited to add - I just went to the Taurus web sight and they have an exploded drawing of the M62/72 (pg 24) in their online rifle manual (http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/rifle_manual.pdf)which shows the leaf sight and the dovetail fitting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll see if I can make it happen, thanks for the advice!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
H78

I just read your post on the other thread and realized that you wanted to remove just the "leaf" and NOT the entire rear sight assembly.  

I think that would probably be tough to do without damaging the entire sight assembly, but I can see the cosmetic downside of having a big ugly empty dovetail slot cut in your barrel if  you do remove the entire sight assembly.  

An option might be to do the full remove and then cover the empty dovetail slot with the weaver scope mount base (http://www.taurususa.com/products/carrifsmb.cfm).  This would cover the dovetail slot, give you an unimpeded view of the iron sights and offer the option of later adding a scope if you wished.

Cheers,

PS - apologize for the "cut and paste" links, but not sure how to do a hot link to a message.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Mostly I just don't want to destroy the finish or gouge the metal (I have a stainless 10/22 that I

ruined the surface of the front sight assembly on by being impaitent and using the wrong tools.  

I guess I really just want it out of the way so I have an unobstructed view of the front sight post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top