Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:26:12 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these in .308?What is it like shooting it?Where did you get the work done on it to convert it to a Tanker? Can anybody post pics?
THanks
43E1P
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad had one.  It was actually the first Garand we owned.  I have no idea who converted it but it ran just fine.  I keep hearing people say the muzzle blast and recoil are hellacious, but I never had a problem with it.  Course, it did have a cheap flash suppressor on the end of it.  It was a 1.6 mil receiver but I don't remember anything else about the other parts.  I wish I could take a look at it again but dad sold it to get a real M1.

Edited cause I can't spell.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have two of them, one in .308 one in '06...and your satisfaction depends on who built it, and how well it was done. Both of mine were Springfield repros from the mid-80's and both were fine rifles. recoil was no problem as they still weighed in at 9 lbs. but muzzle flash, blast...was a problem for me, cured by an old M1 flash hider from an M1-D sniper rifle. This worked well, and it was equalivalent to an M1-A Bush Rifle...a handy brush gun. Accuracy was only mediocre however, in the 3" to 4" range at 100 yards...but that was fine for deer. Quite frankly I'm still kicking myself for selling them, and may purchase another at some future time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a tanker in 06 and it runs just fine. It was built on a 1943 SA receiver. I don't know any of the history of it or who converted it as I bought it off the used rack at a local fun shop. It does have quite a significant muzzle blast but it's still fun to shoot and accuracy is better than my eyesight is. I'd like to have one in .308 as it would keep ammo stockpiles easier to manage.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a tanker in 06 and it runs just fine. It was built on a 1943 SA receiver. I don't know any of the history of it or who converted it as I bought it off the used rack at a local fun shop. It does have quite a significant muzzle blast but it's still fun to shoot and accuracy is better than my eyesight is. I'd like to have one in .308 as it would keep ammo stockpiles easier to manage.

My tanker is a '43 SA action in '06 too. Does your's have a cut '43 SA barrel?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone have one of these in .308?What is it like shooting it?Where did you get the work done on it to convert it to a Tanker? Can anybody post pics?
THanks
43E1P

Mine is a .308 built on a '44 Springfield receiver.  It is an outstanding shooter.

I've since replaced the T-37 FS shown here with a Smith Enterprise M-1 muzzle brake - it's a great accessory for this rifle.  

www.smithenterprise.com/products05.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SEI brake too. I think its a must have on a tanker conversion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I also heard the 30-06 tanker has terrible recoil.
I have the 308 tanker and it was nice to shoot cause the recoil and muzzle flash is way less than the 30-06.
308 ammo is cheaper and more plentyfull too.
You can see more M1 tankers on Warbirds website as he builds them himself.
Smith will cost about $800-$900 using your parts. The cost is very high if you have Smith do it.
Mine will shoot about 1-1/2" to 2" at 100 yards.
He has pics to look at too.
http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/M1%20Garand.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top