Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/5/2013 4:03:17 AM EST
OK, so I have fellen in love with the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 and I want to mount one on my 2005ish manufactered Springfield SOCOM16 in VLTOR modstock.
I have some knowledge about M1A scope mounts, but not alot. I know a little about Basset, Sadlak, Smith, and Springfield, but not enough to decide which is best for me. So here are my requirements:

-I would want the scope to mount rather low, with the rear bell just above the iron sights. The closer to the same plane as irons, the better.
-The mount AND/OR the rings (30mm) MUST be quick detach, preferably with throw levers; it MUST return to zero when removed and reinstalled and with minimal tools.
-When the scope is removed (either via rings or the whole unit), the iron sights must be usable. If they are usable while it is all mounted that is a plus.
-Reliability of the rifle must remain unaffected. No additional jams allowed.
-The unit must be durable and able to withstand combat. This includes rapid fire, environmental abuse, etc. Being lightweight is definitely a plus.

So... whats my best option? Basset's website is promising, as is Smith's. The Sadlak looks good too.

ON THE OTHER HAND, what about just getting a VLTOR CASV? That would certainly provide me a sturdy mount for my optic.
Let me know! Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 5:25:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2013 5:28:28 AM EST by Essayons]
IIRC the ARMS 18 is the lowest.

ETA IMO the "best option" is LRB Arms' SR25 receiver with the long rail, but that's a $1,500+ solution after installation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:26:08 AM EST
There is no discussion needed. Only one word. SADLAK
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 11:12:37 AM EST
Sadlak & Smith Enterprise offer the best of that style.
M14.ca offers the CASM in a few different lengths.
I use the CASM-S on my Crazy Horse M21A5 EBR type SEI.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 11:20:24 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Essayons:
IIRC the ARMS 18 is the lowest.

ETA IMO the "best option" is LRB Arms' SR25 receiver with the long rail, but that's a $1,500+ solution after installation.
View Quote

I agree about the ARMS it appears to be the lowest to me also. But I wonder if they still make it. ARMS used to make throw lever rings too, but there might be better ones out there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 12:06:08 PM EST
Hopefully you don't have an out of spec Springfield receiver, if so on the ARMS you'll be SOL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 3:06:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hooch33:
Hopefully you don't have an out of spec Springfield receiver, if so on the ARMS you'll be SOL.
View Quote

yeah i'm pretty sure that will wind up being an issue, and thats why I'm actually steering towards the CASM mount
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 3:48:28 AM EST
As a guy whose gone the scope M1a route before, you will never be quite happy with how low the scope is. It is what it is. A regular stock and you got a chin weld, a M3a or a techno stock and you have a moveable comb. You can use a strap on riser on the stock too. The GI's make their own with the old issue glass stocks if they don't have a modern stock.

Get too low like with the ARMS and some guys have more issues with the spent brass hitting the mount and bouncing back in the way to jam the rifle.

I've used a gen 2 Springfield and it was rubbish and would shoot loose after 20 shots. I have a Smith mount of the older weaver rail type. It's solid. That's it on my hands on experience. The rest is 2nd hand so I'll stop there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 4:09:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Get too low like with the ARMS and some guys have more issues with the
spent brass hitting the mount and bouncing back in the way to jam the rifle.
View Quote

I have been told that WarBird will transform a full rail ARMS 18 into a split-rail mount for a fee.
Can anyone confirm this? ... The split rail was not known to bounce brass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 2:50:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By H2O_MAN:

I have been told that WarBird will transform a full rail ARMS 18 into a split-rail mount for a fee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I may be wrong but I believe he discontinued this service. I'm still recommending Sadlak. Have them send their fitment kit and they will even get you a mount for out of spec rifles
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 3:20:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By YoteSlayer69:

I may be wrong but I believe he discontinued this service.
View All Quotes

A guy on another forum just had two of them modified by Tim, so I guess the service is still available.

BTW, the one he showed mounted on his rifle looked great.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:23:27 PM EST
great info guys. I'm still debating which mount to go with, but I will keep considering my options. my rifle is currently wearing a Trijicon RMR in a midwest industries scout mount, so it will stay like that for a bit until I make a choice to dive into scope mounting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:40:01 PM EST

A guy on another forum just had two of them modified by Tim, so I guess the service is still available.

View All Quotes

Thats good news. The ones I have seen modified by Tim were great mounts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:06:26 PM EST
After buying a M14.CA CASM mount, I doubt I will ever buy another M14 mount of any other make. I can't figure out why it took so damn long for somebody to make a mount of this type.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:47:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By 19119640:
After buying a M14.CA CASM mount, I doubt I will ever buy another M14 mount of any other make.
I can't figure out why it took so damn long for somebody to make a mount of this type.
View Quote

I'm very happy with my CASM

NSWC CRANE has been using a similar design for many years, and Springfield Armory, Inc. offered something like it on their 'Whitefeather'.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:12:38 PM EST

NSWC CRANE has been using a similar design for many years, and Springfield Armory, Inc. offered something like it on their 'Whitefeather'.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19119640:
After buying a M14.CA CASM mount, I doubt I will ever buy another M14 mount of any other make.
I can't figure out why it took so damn long for somebody to make a mount of this type.

Ok, who are you on the ODT?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:44:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 12:46:00 PM EST by dalle0001]
Originally Posted By masakari:
OK, so I have fellen in love with the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 and I want to mount one on my 2005ish manufactered Springfield SOCOM16 in VLTOR modstock.
I have some knowledge about M1A scope mounts, but not alot. I know a little about Basset, Sadlak, Smith, and Springfield, but not enough to decide which is best for me. So here are my requirements:

-I would want the scope to mount rather low, with the rear bell just above the iron sights. The closer to the same plane as irons, the better.
-The mount AND/OR the rings (30mm) MUST be quick detach, preferably with throw levers; it MUST return to zero when removed and reinstalled and with minimal tools.
-When the scope is removed (either via rings or the whole unit), the iron sights must be usable. If they are usable while it is all mounted that is a plus.
-Reliability of the rifle must remain unaffected. No additional jams allowed.
-The unit must be durable and able to withstand combat. This includes rapid fire, environmental abuse, etc. Being lightweight is definitely a plus.

So... whats my best option? Basset's website is promising, as is Smith's. The Sadlak looks good too.

ON THE OTHER HAND, what about just getting a VLTOR CASV? That would certainly provide me a sturdy mount for my optic.
Let me know! Thanks guys
View Quote

I have a Trijicon Accurpoint as well. I have a EBR stock with a clip guide mount on it. I have a 1inch to 30mm ring in it for the ARMS #22 high on it. I like it. I think for the Accurpoint, the big issue most people say is that the biggest 50x one has all the external knobs on it. Otherwise every other model has to be unscrewed to adjust.
Top Top