Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 10:07:12 AM EDT
I'm looking to build a good scout rifle, a la Jeff Cooper.  Any suggestions or pictures of yours would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm looking to build a good scout rifle, a la Jeff Cooper.  Any suggestions or pictures of yours would be appreciated.

This is what I did:

I built one out of a .308 Enfield,  cut down to 16.25" and added a jungle carbine flash hider.  

I had the forward part of the receiver drilled and tapped for a sight base, to which I attached a fake aimpoint (I'm going to get the  Burris to go on there).  I didn't go for the true scout forward mount (Ashley Express makes one) because I wanted to retain the rear iron sight, but this one is forward enough.  

I added two more sling studs, one forward for a bipod and one in front of the mag well for a Ching Sling (nylon).  Finally, I added a piece of picatinny rail on the left forestock for a flash light, if needed.  

It is accurate enough for me (bust clay pigeons at 65m), reliable, and now it rides in the trunk.

It's not 100% "Scout", but fits my personal requirements (short, light, mag fed, bolt action, reliable, QD optics with BUIS, low cost).  The Enfield action is great.  YMMV.

I'll post a picture tonight if I remember.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried "scout" configurations on several occasions. I built one on a Mosin 44, I mounted a scout mount on a Marlin 375 lever action, and an SKS. I even had the chance to carry a friend's Steyr Scout deer hunting one year.  Scout scopes/rifles are not a new concept.  I ran across some ads for scout type scopes and mounts in gun mags from the early 1960's.

All I can say is there is a reason why these things have never been embraced fully by the shooting public. They don't do anything better than a conventional scoped rifle and IMO they are more awkward to carry in the field. Scout rifles, including the Steyr have a tendency to bang and snag the scopes on clothing and tree branches, brush and the like.  Don't get me wrong, the Steyr Scout is a great rifle but at $2K+ it doesn't do anything that my old  $200 Remington 788 doesn't do just as well.

Hey, the scout rifle is a great concept and they look cool. I wish that it offered something that was missing from a conventional scoped rifle. However, to quote Cooper himself the scout rifle is, " a solution to a problem that doesn't exist".  Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have shot the Steyr Scout some, and I don't find it to be the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  The forward optics are great.  It allows both eyes open much more so than a traditional rifle with traditional optics.  It is also a great rifle for shooting things on the move.  A friend took his Steyr Scout and broke his first clay on the fly with it at Cooper's Scout class.  

There are several mauser 98 clones in 7.62 NATO that would make excellent pseudo scout bases.  Or, if you want the concept without the optics, the Spanish FR-8 is great.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I did:

I built one out of a .308 Enfield,  cut down to 16.25" and added a jungle carbine flash hider.  

I had the forward part of the receiver drilled and tapped for a sight base, to which I attached a fake aimpoint (I'm going to get the  Burris to go on there).  I didn't go for the true scout forward mount (Ashley Express makes one) because I wanted to retain the rear iron sight, but this one is forward enough.  

I added two more sling studs, one forward for a bipod and one in front of the mag well for a Ching Sling (nylon).  Finally, I added a piece of picatinny rail on the left forestock for a flash light, if needed.  

It is accurate enough for me (bust clay pigeons at 65m), reliable, and now it rides in the trunk.

It's not 100% "Scout", but fits my personal requirements (short, light, mag fed, bolt action, reliable, QD optics with BUIS, low cost).  The Enfield action is great.  YMMV.

I'll post a picture tonight if I remember.

Please do.  I'm looking to use an Ishapore Enfield for mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm partial to this one, with a flash suppressor added.

Savage's Scout looked like a decent gun-but is discontinued. This was an inexpensive factory option.

Even Ruger is getting in on the act.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I own two Steyr Scouts... one in the Cooper Configuration and the other in the "normal" scope configuration. Believe it or not... 100 yard groups in the prone are just as tight in either configuration.

I find the Cooper Configuration very quick and carry the rifle without even knowing it is there. I do admit after shooting rifles for 28 years in the "normal" configuration it took a couple shooting sessions to get use to the scope up and away from my face. Visability is 2nd to none; much like having an Aimpoint on a AR but with magnification. This is a great rifle for up close and personal and out to 4-500 yards.

The other Scout has a S&B 3x12 42mm in the "normal" configuration.  I find it shines where I can use the magnification where detatils may matter; but does this rule out the Scout... I think not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top