Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2011 10:22:57 AM EDT
Good friend of mine has a M1 super 90 I have shot it some and starting to think I need one. What I would want is the barrel with sights and screw in chokes to use with buckshot and slugs.

What do I need to know before going shopping for one?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I have two (12 and 20) of the Super 90 "Montefeltro" which is basically a fancy wood-stocked version of the same gun.  Very, very reliable hunting shotgun.  Feeds everything.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine isn't very reliable with target loads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has consumed everything I have feed it from cheap Walmart shells to quality buck shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I have two (12 and 20) of the Super 90 "Montefeltro" which is basically a fancy wood-stocked version of the same gun.  Very, very reliable hunting shotgun.  Feeds everything.  Hope that helps.

I too have the Montefeltro in 12 Gauge. Love the gun. Mine is an HK Import, born Feb. of 1996. Runs like a champ. I read somewhere that Benelli recomends shells with a load rating of 3 dram or more to reliably cycle the gun. I run 3 dram Federal 7 1/2 shot bulk packs from Walmart and have not had a single hick-up with the gun.

I say go for it. They are a solid gun IMO, and I feel they hold their value pretty well provided you take care of it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My M1 Super90 Tactical runs on all ammo I have run through it. I usually use high velocity #6 and the mod choke for 3 gun matches, or reduced recoil buck and slugs. Mine has never had a problem. I consider it my 0-150 yard primary weapon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one and absolutely loved it!! Had a trade come up that I just couldn't pass up so I got rid of her. I love the rifle I got in trade, but really really miss my benelli. Might have to keep an eye out for one when the wife isn't looking!!LOL!!! I never had a single hiccup with mine and all I put through her was the walmart special stuff. Great gun ,fast follow up shots ,deadly accurate, took it to the cowboy action range here and would run the line of bad guys in about 4 sec hitting them all easily! MAN I MISS IT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It is amazing how 2 guns can act sooo different. Not trying to sound stupid, but when I got mine the first thing I did was tear it down and go over everything. Whether it helped or not who knows, but it ate every low brass I ran through her
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Love mine.  Completely reliable with 3 dram 1oz loads.  I did the manufacturer recommended break in, though.  

It has the boom, boom, boom.  Every time.  Glockshotgun.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Light target loads are the only thing I feed mine. No problems.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
My first shotgun that I ever owned....boy do I regret selling it.......but my Benelli M2 tactical gives me the same warm fuzzies
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the m1 super 90 tactical. It is the bomb.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine has consumed everything I have feed it from cheap Walmart shells to quality buck shot.

I wish mine would. It's absolutely unreliable with light loads. Buckshot and slugs are the only reliable loads. The recoil on it is pretty impressive too.

What do you define as a light load? Anything under 3 dram and 1200fps is going to be suspect with a factory recoil spring. If you want to run cheap stuff try the Wolff reduced recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know you do!! Love the L1A1, but boy do I miss the m1!LOL!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too have the Montefeltro in 12 Gauge. Love the gun. Mine is an HK Import, born Feb. of 1996. Runs like a champ. I read somewhere that Benelli recomends shells with a load rating of 3 dram or more to reliably cycle the gun. I run 3 dram Federal 7 1/2 shot bulk packs from Walmart and have not had a single hick-up with the gun.

I say go for it. They are a solid gun IMO, and I feel they hold their value pretty well provided you take care of it.

I have a similar vintage M1 Field. No problem with Walmart bulk packs, reduced recoil buckshot or slugs. I don't remember one hiccup.

I read (possibly heard) at the time that Benelli recommended running two boxes of heavy loads through it before anything else, which I did.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#16]
To those of you having issues with light loads.

I heard at one time (don't remember where), and I cannot confirm or deny this. I heard that at one time, the M1S90's were shipped with 2 different recoil springs. One was lighter for lighter loads, and one was a "police" one which was heavier, and intended for high brass ammo.

If this is in fact true, then some of you who have guns that do not cycle light loads, this may be the reason. But like I said, I do not know if this is a 100% confirmed fact or not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I picked up an M1 super90, I believe in the field grade configuration. This gun is great, I had not even cleaned the darn thing after having had bought it and it has functioned 100%. It has eaten up a bunch of reduced recoil LE buckshot and over 100 rounds of cheap birdshot the two times I have used it thus far. Considering it was neither cleaned nor properly lubed (sprayed one quick burst of clp into receiver before shooting some sporting clays), I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been shopping for one none local but a gunshow coming up so maybe Ill find one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been shopping for one none local but a gunshow coming up so maybe Ill find one.

Watching the ee is your best chance at a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you do!! Love the L1A1, but boy do I miss the m1!LOL!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!!

Indeed I am. It guards my house at night with a surefire forend attached.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It guards my house at night with a surefire forend attached.

I've been told by many people that you can't put acessories on it because it screws up the inertia cycling.  Has that changed?  Is it certain items?  Or was it just all BS?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told by many people that you can't put acessories on it because it screws up the inertia cycling.  Has that changed?  Is it certain items?  Or was it just all BS?

Shooting 00 Buck or slugs, you've got about 1.XX pounds to play with (800 grams +/-).  I've had M1, M2, M3 and a 1201FP,(and now a Stoeger M2000) and am a big believer in the 3 GunGear sidesaddle for shells.  The SF forend may or may not let your individual gun work, and people frequently have trouble with the light, when used in addition to sidesaddles and/or +2 extensions.  Add one accessory at a time, so that you can figure your max weight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watching the ee is your best chance at a good deal.

I was to late on one set up just the way I wanted

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought one of these today.

After lots of handwringing and inability to decide, my buddies at the shop called and said they pulled it off the wall for me.  Seems a fella was going to buy MY shotgun before I did.  I IM'd  "Alien" and we discussed a few things yesterday and I had to have it.

Heckler and Koch marked.  Chantilly stamp.  Factory extended magazine (I believe these are illegal to import now?).  Blackhawk sling that will come off.  And a round bolt handle...don't know if factory or aftermarket.  Fitted with factory rifle sights which I will replace with original ghost ring when I find one.

A few dings in the black finish on the receiver.  They could be touched up with a very small automotive paint brush/bottle.  Used but not abused.

Crappy Pics:

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only say that my gun works 100% with buck and slugs with the forend light. I never tried any other accessories.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only say that my gun works 100% with buck and slugs with the forend light. I never tried any other accessories.

Did you add the light mount or did you buy an integral light forend?

Just bought one of these and need to know what I can/can't use.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Surefire forend.

I didn't have the front mag clamp on for this image. I do use it though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#29]
There she is!!! I was about to ask about the clamp, then I saw your comment!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a M1S90 Tactical. Has been 100% reliable. Be sure you learn the manual of arms for the Benelli. It is much different than other shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Surefire forend.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq126/Powerkicker/m1.jpg?t=1323623005

I didn't have the front mag clamp on for this image. I do use it though.

I have the same shotgun. Pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights, factory magazine extension, Surefire fore end, GG&G bolt handle, ESSTAC shotgun card velcroed to the right side of the buttstock. Fantastic weapon. Mine guards the house at night as well.

Mine is reliable on full power buckshot and slugs, but chokes on low recoil buckshot or birdshot. It has been stated on this forum that the shotgun becomes more reliable with lower powered ammo if the non pistol grip stock is used. Somthing about the pistol grip stock putting pressure on the recoil spring tube. I have not tried a straight stock though - I only shoot full power loads thru the Super 90 anyway. I have other shotguns for birdshot.

My shotgun also sheared the screws that attach the rear ghost ring sight to the reciever under recoil, allowing it to fly back and strike me in the forehead. Benelli was less than helpful. If I was buying a Super 90 again, Id remove the screws and re install better ones with lock tite and the proper torque.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To those of you having issues with light loads.

I heard at one time (don't remember where), and I cannot confirm or deny this. I heard that at one time, the M1S90's were shipped with 2 different recoil springs. One was lighter for lighter loads, and one was a "police" one which was heavier, and intended for high brass ammo.

If this is in fact true, then some of you who have guns that do not cycle light loads, this may be the reason. But like I said, I do not know if this is a 100% confirmed fact or not.

I swapped both my M1Tac and my M3 to the lighter spring as a hedge against reliability issues with the types of ammo I shoot, and the extra crap I have bolted on each gun. While they were reliable before, it was suggested that I switch to the lighter spring anyway, because of the reduced recoil defensive loads I use coupled with the Surefire lights and side saddles. One of these days I'm going to spend some time thoroughly testing the old springs versus new to see for myself what it takes to induce repeatable failures once and for all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
If only it wasnt NFA I would have bought it but really not a fan of the ghost ring sights on shotguns.

M1 super 90

School me a little on them.

Does the HK marked ones have more value or are they any better quality?  

Do all the M1 90's ghost load?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

After lots of handwringing and inability to decide, my buddies at the shop called and said they pulled it off the wall for me.  Seems a fella was going to buy MY shotgun before I did.  I IM'd  "Alien" and we discussed a few things yesterday and I had to have it.

Heckler and Koch marked.  Chantilly stamp.  Factory extended magazine (I believe these are illegal to import now?).  Blackhawk sling that will come off.  And a round bolt handle...don't know if factory or aftermarket.  Fitted with factory rifle sights which I will replace with original ghost ring when I find one.

A few dings in the black finish on the receiver.  They could be touched up with a very small automotive paint brush/bottle.  Used but not abused.

Crappy Pics:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun2.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun1.jpg

Mine's almost identical....'cept I have the pistol grip stock as well.   The round bolt handle is original, by the way.

Here's mine...

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If only it wasnt NFA I would have bought it but really not a fan of the ghost ring sights on shotguns.

M1 super 90

School me a little on them.

Does the HK marked ones have more value or are they any better quality?  

Do all the M1 90's ghost load?

HK doesn't import shotguns anymore.  So odds are, yes, the HK import makred versions would have more value for an HK collector.

I took mine out and shot some clays at a buddy's place.  Light 2 3/4 7.5 shot target loads.  I had one ftf.  When shooting 2 3/4 slug or 3" 00buck, I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.  

It's my understanding that a lighter spring will provide absolute reliability with light loads.  Since mine will be loaded for self defense (00buck) I'm not going to change the springs.

I'll tell you this, these shotguns are hell on clays.  Lightweight, quick to the shoulder, swings well...just bust 'em all day long (even with a 20" barrel)
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:04:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crappy Pics:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun2.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/robicon_album/shotgun1.jpg

Mine's almost identical....'cept I have the pistol grip stock as well.   The round bolt handle is original, by the way.

Here's mine...

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/SrBenelli/firearms/100_8871.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/SrBenelli/firearms/100_8872.jpg

Very nice.  My desire to mount ghostring sights has waned.  Not going to drill/tap the receiver.  I actually found the rifle sights to be just fine.

Now the PG stock may be something I try to score.  Wouldn't require any modifications and would help control heavy loads.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#37]
And I thought it had one very comfy Pg stocks, Felt great!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I have over 6000 rounds through my M1. Almost all target loads of #8.

Never a problem.

prib
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I had an HK M1S90 Tactical with ghost ring sights, pistol grip stock, and extended mag tube.  It was a 7+1+1 - the 9th round could be loaded on the feed tray as was possible with the HK imports.  It was a sweet gun, but it sucked with reduced recoil loads.  I ended up selling it to buy a Benelli M4.  The self regulating gas system allows me to fire reduced recoil loads, target loads, and the full power stuff.  Much more versatile.

The M1S90 was the cat's azz back in the day, but there have been significant improvements over it.  It used to be the go to SG for 3 gun, but it has given way to Saigas and other more reliable semi-autos.  That's not to say they are not reliable - if you use the ammo they prefer to be fed.  Mine required a diet of only full power 00, #4, or slugs.

OP - if you can find one at a decent price, I would go for it.  I would not pay over $800 for a used Tactical model like the one I had.  I would anticipate prices to skyrocket on semi-auto tactical shotguns if a new ban comes around, and prices on them have been very stable for the past decade.  You may also want to consider the Benelli M4 or the FN SLP (same gun as the Winchester SX2 Tactical IIRC).  It will cycle faster than the Benelli - not that they don't cycle stupid fast already, but just saying.

As a side note, they will be hot on the list of guns to axe if a ban comes around.  I also anticipate the Saigas to be deemed as destructive devices just like the street sweeper.  The Saiga bests it easily by being able to accept a detachable 25 round drum as opposed to having a fixed 12 round drum.  Sorry about the tangent, back to the thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top