Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/18/2003 4:33:00 PM EDT
Is it possible? I have a old german luger on hold at the gunstore and it is hardchromed and i'd rather have a blued one and was wondering if it was possible to do this.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:36:52 PM EDT
It can be removed by anybody who can apply the stuff. Unless I'm mistaken they just reverse the polarity of the electrodes in the bath.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:37:54 PM EDT
You look like a couple of 1911 guys, judging by your avatar's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:50:44 PM EDT
Yup!.. love my Kobra carry and CQB. Trying to add a STI Edge in 10mm to the list. Or a Dan Wesson Razorback
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:30:56 AM EDT
Love my Kimber. But I've got a couple of Berettas, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:18:54 PM EDT
If it's true hard chroming, it will have to be machined off. Chrome plating may be easier, but returning the gun to a blued finish is going to be a major job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:43:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:
If it's true hard chroming, it will have to be machined off.

Are you sure? I was always told that the correct way to remove chrome is by connecting the part to the 'other' pole (anode?) in the bath.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:56:13 PM EDT
My take on this is that there is work done before chrome is applied and this is irreversable. I have had rechroming, where chrome is stripped and then built back up. To just expect the chrome to be removed and pre chrome features remain is not reasonable. Ask a refinisher and get his opinion of what will happen with removal. Remember that until it is stripped, you will not know what you will have.

Personally, I RUN from plating. imho
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:02:16 AM EDT
Vermilion-

You don't say exactly which parts of the luger are plated so it's hard to give you a diagnosis for that particular case. In general, however, removing hard chrome plating in favor of a finish without a significant thickness, like bluing, is very likely to result in unacceptable dimensional changes in the parts. The chrome can be removed either chemically or mechanically, but there will be measureable changes in the finished part dimensions. Careless removal can easily cause major damage to the parts. I strongly suggest that you either learn to live with the chrome or buy a different gun.

For those interested in the technical details, chrome plating is accomplished with insoluble anodes. The chrome is supplied by the hexavalent bath chemistry. There are more modern trivalent decorative chrome baths available, but AFAIK you've got to use Cr+6 to get hard chrome. Placing the part back in the bath and reversing the current is a great way to ruin a very expensive bath and burn up your part, but it's a lousy way to strip off the plating. Correct chemical stripping may introduce additional complications, such as hydrogen embrittlement, depending upon the composition and hardness of the base metal.

HTH

bjt
Top Top