Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:57:08 PM EDT
I've been pondering this for awhile, and Burkey's thread kinda brought up the question again, so I look to you, the Arfcom knowledgebase, for recommendations.

You see, I live in the basement.  If someone were to break into my home, I would most likely have to confront him with my family sleeping (or hiding) in rooms on the other side of the BG.  I'm the only one armed in the home, so it is pretty much I do something or wait for the police to do something.

There aren't any beds that would be in the line of fire, but if someone where propping the door closed to keep the BG out, they would be right in line...

If you come up stairs, see a guy holding a gun outside a bedroom, do you take the shot?  Warn him?  Hide, call the cops, wait for him to go somewhere else where you don't have to worry what is behind him?

I don't think I could take the shot, nor should....

ETA sorry if this is the wrong forum, please relocate as necessary.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No replies?  I know it's a tough situation, but SOMEBODY has to have some input....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't think you could take a shot, you should not have a gun-the BG will just take it away from you.....get some decent HP's and pracitce, practice, practice......good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If I catch an intruder in my house, I have NO intention of confronting him. If all goes well, he won't see me until he's bleeding out on my carpet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The last thing to go through his head would be 1 round of Q3131a in my house.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Tazer
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You haven't seen many cops shoot, have you?

Seriously, most departments are severely under funded when it comes to training and ammunition.  Most gun enthusiasts will have more time "on the trigger".  It's the mind set that makes the difference, and if your not capable of making that decision in advance, you're probably better off with owning a dog than a gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
boom
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
BOOM..BOOM.........BOOM
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I would yell "Hey dumbass the police will be here in about 2 minutes Id get the fuck outta here! Oh yeah I gotta gun too!" from another room.

The last thing you want to do is have some AIDS ridden flea bag bleed all over your house.

If it was not for the people in your line of fire Id just shoot the guy anyway though... would make an awful mess.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
take the shot

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Take the shot with a non-lethal shotgun load to the head or nuts. Have a lethal load next for back up. Take the scum to your garage and go crazy on him. Then have a smoke or a drink and when you get around to it call the police!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Headshot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
BANG BANG !
(thump)
FREEZE ASSHOLE !

Oh wait,oops.

I think I did that out of order.  

Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Given the scenario described: Light'em up . I wouldn't wait for the situation to deteriorate further with loved ones in the house.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BANG BANG !
(thump)
FREEZE ASSHOLE !

Oh wait,oops.

Oh well.

got that right
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends what are you shooting?  Shotgun, Bazooka, AT-4?  Pick the proper tools for the job.  There are mission specific weapons and ammo on the market.  Pick what is right for your particular situation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
You aren't giving enough info. As CIB said, what are you shooting? Got a bright light? How good a shot so you think you are? Take any classes? Get the right (low light/flashligtht) practice?

I can't  tell you how good some classes are for the "RIGHT" kind of practice. Most CCW states have good classes for low light/flashlight  training.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Sidestep to give the least likely angle to hit anyone on the far side of the door, aim very carefully giving thought to the size difference between the bad guy and who ever might be on the other side then pull the trigger once very very carefully.
BTW, if it is a kid behind the door and a fullsize adult badguy, go for a carefully aimed head shot. Also remember if anyone is bracing a door they are probably stooped over with shoulder/back against the door.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]
While the hope is obviously that he never even be there in the first place.  If such a situation were to occour, i'd take a well aimed shot and put him down, in order to keep my family safe.  I have discussed this before with my family, and they know i'm the only armed member of the famly, so if something goes bump in the night, they hide, unless i come get them.  While there hiding, i'm calling the cops, then going looking for mr. intruder.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Take the shot with a non-lethal shotgun load to the head or nuts. Have a lethal load next for back up. Take the scum to your garage and go crazy on him. Then have a smoke or a drink and when you get around to it call the police!!!

Think "Stuck in the Middle with You" from Res. Dogs
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Shot to the head.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Oh yeah, a head shot.

Hey, I know, why don't you shoot the gun out of his hand?

Most would be lucky to get one center mass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I think I'm a little puzzled by the question.

An armed intruder, in your house, about to enter a bedroom?  If there's ONE time you start shooting, that, my friend, is it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#26]
If you have to think twice....DONT!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Corner him with your gun, call the cops and have them haul him off. After he is released two weeks later he comes back with a shotgun and kills you and your entire family. The liberals will celebrate that atleast one innocent life was spared after it's all over with. He will claim self defense and get off. Later he will then sue the rest of your living family for damages.

Don't take the chance, just shoot. Spend the time to practice so you don't miss.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Can I choose," Swing Out The Bayonet On The SKS" ?
My place is small. The kinda small Henny Youngman made jokes about.
If any armed intruders enter my place it'll be more like that scene from Dynasty where the SWAT team crashes through the church windows.
At least I can take heart that no intruder will ever be out of my accurate shootin' distance.

So yes. I'd pull the trigger only because there really aren't any other options in my particular place of living.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Shoot a warning shot (maybe two) to center of mass yell freeze or I'll shoot, then fire to defend yourself, once, maybe twice, maybe a couple dozen times.  Go outside start back hoe, make big hole deposit bad guy, clean blood, go back to sleep.  This works best when the ground is not frozen.  You may wish to rethink your sleeping arrangement to minimize the chance of a bad guy coming in and being between you and your family.  A few stragetically placed rose bushes go a long way, alarm systems are much less expensive than they used to be, and a noisy mutt usually helps too.  I like the noisy dog.  I don't need a mean one, I can fight my own battles, I just want one to make sure I don't have anything sneaking up on me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Since you live in the basement,you should have a steel plate 1/2 inch thickX 36X48 bolted on the wall beside the door!!

That way you can bounch rounds off the plate into the doorway without exposing your self(while hideing under your like steel plate under the mattress)!

I say this because if indeed you live in the basement,all one would have to do is kick open the door and empty an MP-5 or so ito the basement!!!

Well you get the picture(with the bouncing rounds)one could imagine what it would be like in a garbage disposal!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If your scenario occurs as stated, your security measures have failed you.

The Perp should never have got that far.

Also, I am amused at the folks that casually say "drill him".

A good friend of mine had to shoot an armed thug at his place of business, and the aftermath was something to be avoided, if possible.
You want to install sufficient security measures so this does not happen.  That is the best solution.

Then again thats in RI is it not?

Free states are not quite so bad, still a major pain, but not a "we are charging you with murder" kind of pain...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I've been pondering this for awhile, and Burkey's thread kinda brought up the question again, so I look to you, the Arfcom knowledgebase, for recommendations.

You see, I live in the basement.  If someone were to break into my home, I would most likely have to confront him with my family sleeping (or hiding) in rooms on the other side of the BG.  I'm the only one armed in the home, so it is pretty much I do something or wait for the police to do something.

There aren't any beds that would be in the line of fire, but if someone where propping the door closed to keep the BG out, they would be right in line...

If you come up stairs, see a guy holding a gun outside a bedroom, do you take the shot?  Warn him?  Hide, call the cops, wait for him to go somewhere else where you don't have to worry what is behind him?

I don't think I could take the shot, nor should....

ETA sorry if this is the wrong forum, please relocate as necessary.

If you are worried about it, get you a nice double barrel shotgun and load it with rock salt!

Like the guy said on KILL BILL # 2, Ain't nobody a badass with a double load of rock salt in the chest!"
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Remember firearm safety rule number 4.  Maybe you should discuss this and similar situations with your family so that you will all be on the same page should this situation arise.  That way your family members will know not to place themselves as a backstop to your rounds.

In the specific situation you described, with the BG only trying to get in the room, I would say that opening fire is not the smartest thig to do.  You are taking a gamble with extremely high stakes, and imagine how you would be able to cope with knowing that one of YOUR rounds killed or maimed a loved one.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If I catch an intruder in my house, I have NO intention of confronting him. If all goes well, he won't see me until he's bleeding out on my carpet.

+1

Yea no shit I hear all this talk about the racking slide / bolt noise being all scary . The only thing they may here is the saftey coming off .

Someone asked in a post how Iraqi terrs respond to the racking sound ? The response was something like "I dont know I've never left base w/ an empty chamber !

I had to search my apt once w/ an 870

It's to big even with a 18 1/2 tube

I heard someone /thing kick in my basement window I raced like a madman to my bedroom got the gun . Then I waited a couple of mins . When I got to the top of basement staircase , I racked it as loud as I could . Told whoever there they better show themselves ........nothing so I tipi toed down the stairs . nothing I never did figure out what it was .

But I decided a shottie is too big (long) . I still do keep an M1 super 90 next to the bed , chamber empty cause I can cycle it manualy PDQ (Quite too) . But my main thought is to use my 1911A1comander which sleeps under my pillow .
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

WIZZO

And 80% of your hearing along with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Kneel if you can and shoot for the head. Assuming no one lives upstairs!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#38]
It will be a lot easier to deal with him in the hallway than after he gets inside a bedroom with a hostage.   I'd shoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#39]
in real keyboard commando enthusiasim! " BOOOOOOOMM, headshot!!"
and of course just like FPSDOUG !
jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#40]
A better tactic would be keep a bead on the guy, so if you had to shoot, you could still take the shot, while attempting to get a better shot that would not cause any potential friendly fire.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Going back to another thread...this is why 7.62 is not good for home defense. Hope I didn't start anything.

Oh yeah....Take the shot center mass and then follow it up with a couple more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Claymore on the steps leading down to the basement should do it.  Don`t forget what side goes forward.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#43]
40mm fragmentation grenade should do the job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Taken from AMMUNITION FOR THE SELF-DEFENSE FIREARM

Hollowpoint ammunition is NOT more lethal than ball (full metal jacket) ammunition. You may have seen media hype about "killer dum-dum bullets" but this is nonsense. Hollowpoint bullets usually expand and stop in the human body, and thus the attacker absorbs much more of the bullet's kinetic energy than if the bullet had merely zipped through him and left two small holes. Hollowpoint ammunition is also safer for all parties concerned.

You are safer because your attacker is more likely to be incapacitated after one or two shots and thus unable to fire back, stab you, or whatever. The decreased likelihood of your attacker dying from hollowpoint bullets saves you the moral and legal complications and expense you will experience from killing a man.

Innocent bystanders are safer because hollowpoint bullets are less likely to exit the attacker's body and go on to injure anyone else. The ricochet danger is also much lower than that of ball ammunition, and hollowpoint bullets are less likely to penetrate walls or doors and strike uninvolved third parties. Furthermore, if your foe is incapacitated quickly he won't be spraying wild bullets around, endangering uninvolved third parties.

Thought this might help...
Diesel
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BANG BANG !
(thump)
FREEZE ASSHOLE !

Oh wait,oops.

Oh well.

got that right

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#46]
You have watched to much TV!

No warnings! BG now knows where you are, shoots you.

Non-letal shot? What so BG guy now knows where you are and you have pissed him off and he shoots you. Or he does give up and sues you later on and gets everything you own anyway.

The correct answer is BOOM - BOOM  walk up look still moving? back up to orginal shooting position BOOM.

You saved the rest of us a lot of money, thank you.

Have any misgivings about shooting some one? Send me your guns, I'll take care of them because you are a sheep at heart and would only cause the rest of us problems by not defending you, your family properly.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Non-letal shot? What so BG guy now knows where you are and you have pissed him off and he shoots you. Or he does give up and sues you later on and gets everything you own anyway.

The correct answer is BOOM - BOOM  walk up look still moving? back up to orginal shooting position BOOM.

Have any misgivings about shooting some one? Send me your guns, I'll take care of them because you are a sheep at heart and would only cause the rest of us problems by not defending
you, your family properly.

hug.gif

Bold statement...cant say that i argue too much though...like they teach you in ccw "shoot until you no longer feel there is a threat to your life"

+1

Diesel
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have any misgivings about shooting some one? Send me your guns, I'll take care of them because you are a sheep at heart and would only cause the rest of us problems by not defending
you, your family properly.

Bold statement...cant say that i argue too much though...like they teach you in ccw "shoot until you no longer feel there is a threat to your life"

+1

Diesel

+1 end the threat.  No talk of shooting to kill prior to the event to be used as evidence against you.
This is not 2 in the chest one in the head to make sure their very dead.  Save it for terrorist.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

And 80% of your hearing along with it.

Nothing is going to sound like kittens purring so that's less of an issue than it's made out to be.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
This is a questionable situation. If you were to shoot automatically upon seeing him, you may get charged with Homicide. You need to be able to prove that you, or your family was in immenent danger. If he did not have the weapon pointed at you then you probably could not justify shooting. However, if you warned him, and he pointed the gun at you, you would most likely be justified in taking the shot. Although, you still need to be sure that there is nobody on the other side of that door that is going to be in your line of fire. I would practice with your family what to do in such a situation. Make sure they know to move out of the way of the door when you say a specific phrase or something. And practice it religiously. Its better that they have that ingrained, and they act upon instinct when they hear you say that phrase, or train with them to immediately put something in front of the door, and for them to get out of the way of the door. I would do something of that nature.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top