Posted: 7/6/2005 11:26:01 PM EDT
New to the market:
Tactical Tomahawk-Spike
http://k5tactical.com/images/P1010019.JPG

Tell me what you think,

Eddie Killian
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
well, besides the use of the word tactical is too prevalent.  

back in the day (colonial period) they had quite a reputation as being highly effective at nose to nose stuff.

personally, i'd rather have an e-tool for all around tool, and serious limb/what not remover.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
looks nice, perhaps flat black, price?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not at this time on the black.  Sorry, flat tan only.  The powdercoat takes Krylon really well though.  And the handle scales are easily removable for customizing.

$99.99 plus tax and shipping Kydex sheath included

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What type of steel?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

personally, i'd rather have an e-tool for all around tool, and serious limb/what not remover.

You ever try to use a e-tool as a hatchet ??  Hell, it sucks as a shovel and it definitely is  a pitiful excuse
for a hatchet.

Dont get me wrong, I woudnt want to get hit with one but I dont think it would cleave like
tomahawk...

I think it looks great!  $99 seems reasonable as well.

LB
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good , if it has decent steel should be worth $99.   I personally can't see enough use to justify getting 1 , though.  My machete works well for most tasks and , could be used as a weapon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The steel is 1050 carbon steel, edges only heat-treated and tempered.

As for field expedient weaponry?  Use what you feel comortable with.

These hawks are not for everyone, and I love to see other take on things.  Keep it up.  I enjoy learning.

I make them to allow those that want/need one to be able to afford a quality product.  We all know our soldiers pay is'nt all that great.  Hence the price point.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#8]
It look great !
I went to Brigade to purchase a American Tomahawk Co Lagana on Tuesday. They were out and did not know if they would recieve anymore.
What is the lenth of the handle or the overall lenth ? Also what does it weigh ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Also what is the scale/handle material ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The hawks are 16.5" overall length.  
The weight is approx. 26ozs. without the sheath.
The scales are 6061 T6 aluminum Mil Spec hard anodized with a green tint.  They are held on with four flathead machine screws that tread into the back of the presentation side scale, which has Mil Spec locking Heli-coil inserts.  The backs of the scales have bosses that fit into the four oblong lightening holes machined into the handle.  This stops any chance of the scales slipping or moving.

Eddie

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
with the T6 Aluminum scales. Are they slick or is there some texture/ gripping surface ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Also on the Kydex sheath. What color/colors are available. How does it attach to a belt or other gear ?
I'll be away from my computer til Monday. I'm really interested in one.
Gizzmo
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Gizzmo,
The scales are checkered over their entire flat surface. I believe you can see this in the posted pics above.   The rounded edges are smooth.  I found that if I textured the narrow edges it caused blisters and did not release well when throwing.  Yet the textured wide flat surfaces allow for the fleshy parts of the palm and fingers to grip with little effort.

The sheath is Kydex, black.  It uses short MALICE/alice clips for attachment  It is MOLLE/STRIKE/SPEAR compatible and fits most if not all duty/gun belts.  It is jumpable, reversable, and has slots on both sides, so the side that is facing out can have pouches overlapped on both sides to save vest or belt space.

The hawk is held in place by Kydex tension and has a Fastex type buckle attached with webbing to add extra security yet still allowing one handed use.  The hawk exits the sheath through the bottom so that it can be mounted high on a vest or at belt level ,and not have other pouches and gear get in the way.

You can e-mail me or IM me if you like.

Eddie
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you tell me where these are manufactured, where the factory is?
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I am in Modesto, California(yeah, I know, Scott Peterson)  My hawks are all made and assembled here.  The hawks are very proudly engraved with a big "MADE IN USA"  And I will always make them here in the States.  My sheaths are made for me in Georgia.

Eddie Killian
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have been looking at buying a tomahawk. I like the looks of that one. DO you have pic of scabbard?
What is delivery time fram or do you have them in stock?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
1050? how does that compair to more well known steels like 1095 and 5160 in terms of toughness and edge holding?

Also what is the stick thickness, blade length and spike length? Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Sheaths are in production and I do not have one to show, I will have them in and ready to ship in three weeks.  They are black Kydex, reversable, jumpable. Molle/STRIKE/SPEAR compatible using short ALICE/MALICE clips.  The hawk exists out the bottom of the sheath.

The 1050 steel is good for this kind of tool.  Chopping chores and such this works well, itis also not brittle so the 3/8" thick handle can take a lot of abuse.  1050 is not so good at long term fine edge holding like the other steels you mentioned, but by design these are not skinning knives and are not generally required to hold a long term razor edge.
The front blade edge is 3.5"  so is the sharpened beard.  Overall there is 9 inches of sharpened edge on the spike hawk.   The spike is 3.5 inches long from the verticle centerline of the handle.

Thanks for the questions, let me know if I can help any more.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I like it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Main Entry: tac·ti·cal
Pronunciation: 'tak-ti-k&l
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to combat tactics : as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <tactical defense> <tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2 a : of or relating to tactics : as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose
- tac·ti·cal·ly  /-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Hmmm... haven't seen any images posted by Lump196 of Marines fighting in Iraq with tomahawks...

The only "tactical" tomahawks these days are...

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you taken a pic of my Utility with the spike.
Thanx,
Pete
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to see some pics of some Hawks in action, check out the axe and tomahawk forum at www.Bladeforum.com  or www.americantomahawk.com.  Thay are very popular actually.  I don't have any pics from the Battlefront yet. My first run gets shipped in 3 weeks.  Some of which are Sandbox bound.

Rudison, No pics yet.  I should be getting them back from heat-treat in 2 weeks.  I am rushing as fast as my slowest machinist will allow.  Sheaths are already on order for the next run.  I hope to have them before the hawks are done.

Thanks for the accolades and patience,

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You ever try to use a e-tool as a hatchet ??  Hell, it sucks as a shovel and it definitely is  a pitiful excuse
for a hatchet.

Dont get me wrong, I woudnt want to get hit with one but I dont think it would cleave like
tomahawk...

I think it looks great!  $99 seems reasonable as well.

thanks for the critique, however, yes i have, and i agree that an entrenching tool makes a very poor excuse for a hatchet.
but, if i can note correctly, i did'nt say an e tool could replace a hatchet.  i said all around tool.
i have read that e-tools were greatly used in WW I and were favored over bayonets (trenchs are a bit crowded and e-tools don't have as great of a tendency to get stuck in an enemy.
and even though i'm not prior infantry, i would think that a hatchet would make too much noise.  and if noise is not an issue, i think i'd use det-cord if i had my choice (tree removal for an LZ,etc).
LB

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#26]
If I placed an order now how far out would delivery be? I might have to try out one of these!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the 3/8 inch thick handle thickness including the handle slabs or is the 3/8 just the steel thickness?

Is the head also 3/8 thick?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#29]
The hawks are complete, I am waiting for delivery of the Kydex sheaths, looking at three weeks for delivery.

The thickness of the entire of the hawk is 3/8" steel.  The handle scales take it out to 1 inch.  The handle is 1 1/6" wide.  The varied width to thickness keeps the hawk from rolling in the hand.

Make it a great day,

Eddie
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks Eddie!

What is the Rc rating(Rockwell C scale?)

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
RC 58-60,  I only harden and temper the edges.  The rest is "soft"

You are very welcome.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#32]
How far back on the edges is harden? The whole bevel? Is just the bevels on the spike harden also?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
All of the beveled edges and a little more on the hawk including the spike.  The hammer face on those models is also hardened.

Don't worry about questions, that's why I am here.  I want you to be able to make a well educated decision about your purchase.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am in Modesto, California(yeah, I know, Scott Peterson)  My hawks are all made and assembled here.  The hawks are very proudly engraved with a big "MADE IN USA"  And I will always make them here in the States.  My sheaths are made for me in Georgia.

Eddie Killian
[email protected]

MODESTO!!!!!!!!

Can we come by and see one in person if we live say 15 minutes away and are always going over to Kelly's and the Vintage Faire?????????
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks again!

What kind of warranty do you offer on these?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Standard, Materials and workmanship for one year on hawk, sheath is materials and workmanship for 6 months.  We would need to judge abuse, and wear and tear issues by having the hawk shipped to us.  I do overruns on handles and sheaths so I can have extras on hand should there be a problem, or someone wants an extra or replacement.  

Make it a great day!

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#37]
tagged
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks again! I think I'll pick up one for camping this summer!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I have now have a Final version of the sheath and am in full production, I will have them before the end of the month as promised. Then, Time to ship the orders!!!

Though I am biased, I don't think there is a sheath that is better in the industry. And they come standard with each hawk. I only have Dave at www.sheathmechanic.com to thank for making my design ideas happen.

Check it out.
http://k5tactical.com/images/K5-Prototype.JPG

Make it a great day,

Eddie
www.k5tactical.com
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I just placed an order with Eddie and he was very helpful with all my questions and was a pleasure to deal with. I can't wait to get my Tac Hawk.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Due to a sheath part(black stainless screws) supply problem, the sheaths have been delayed until next week.

I am sorry for those of you who have orders in.  I hate making you wait, as much as I hate not being able to hit a target delivery date.

Sheaths are in production in double-time  this weekend and early next week for a timely delivery to me.

Sorry for any problems this may have created for you.  They WILL be shipping soon.

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#44]
The sheaths have arrived!!!!

All pending orders are boxed and completed.  I will be dropping them off to begin their travels in the morning!!

Make it a great day!!!!

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks pretty boss.  tag.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
*pulls out The Patriot* *thinks about ordering one of these*.

lol, looks sweet dude.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#47]
I got to have one, GREAT looking piece of equipment!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#48]
  Here's a few pics of the one I ordered.   This 'hawk is a beast.   Being all steel it's a little on the heavy side but it's balanced very well.  Very lively in the hand and easy to swing.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
  Here's a few pics of the one I ordered.   This 'hawk is a beast.   Being all steel it's a little on the heavy side but it's balanced very well.  Very lively in the hand and easy to swing.

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/BillP63/08_22_0.jpg

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/BillP63/08_22_10.jpg

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/BillP63/08_22_2.jpg

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/BillP63/08_22_5.jpg

Sweet pictures!
How sharp is the edge? I can't decide if I want to get the Spike of hammer version.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:18:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Skag,  the 'hawk has a heavy powder coat on it, including the edge. So when you get it you'll notice powder coating  leaves the edge thicker and more dull than it actually is.    I used my lansky stones, any stones or steel will do, to get rid of the powdercoat and get down to steel.  five minutes worth of work and the main cutting edge and the edge on the beard were very sharp.  Not razor,  but I could lightly run my thumb down the edge and it wanted to bite in.   A little more time with a srone and it would develope a razor like edge.
  I'm not going to do anything with the  spike,because those edges are meant to aid in penitration more than cutting.   Hope this helps
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top