Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 6:18:50 AM EDT
I have heard a lot about the tac latch charging handels. Are they really worth adding? I'm a new AR owner and I have a Oly FAR-15 and really dont care for the feel of the stock C.H. I see DPMS has a unit for around $20. I s this better, same?? I know you guys have all the answers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to hear the opinions on this also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Save your money, mine is in the useless parts bin.
They dont offer that much more gripping surface, they dig in your back, they catch on equipment, did I mention they dig in your back when weapon is slung?
If you only shoot from a bench it might be of some use.
Also ASA`a version of that is the worst
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
It really makes one handed operation much easier. The only problem with mine is that it puts quite a bit of stress on the charging handle. The left side has way more wear than the right side.

Alex
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both the tac-latch and the DPMS.

I use the tac-latch on my flat-top upper which has a scope mounted on it.  The Tac-latch makes getting to the CH a lot easier.  It feels better also.  I think it's worth the 18.95.

I have the DPMS on my "survival" rifle.  Being able to use the CH with either hand is a plus.  The draw back is that the latch hook sticks out pretty far and has the potential to snag on things.  The relatively thin edge of the latch makes it somewhat less comfortable to use than the tac-latch, and the right latch is fairly small(not a really big deal, but I think it could be ergonomically better designed).  I still have it mounted on my rifle, because I like its ambidexterity.

So, which is better?  I am leaning toward the Tac-latch, but either one will be better than stock.  (If you have an extra $35, you can buy an extra CH and the other latch, and use the two CH interchangeably, depending on your need).

Hope this helps.

PbRx
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Since I am a lefty it works great and I have no problems with it snagging!

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
DPMS handle clears the scope on my long range AR.  Makes charging smoother especially from prone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]

I have one on a scoped flat top, but see no use at all for one on an A2. I think the one I have is from Badger.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have one on a scoped flat top, but see no use at all for one on an A2. I think the one I have is from Badger.

As a lefty, I put mine to use on an A2.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I just put the ambi unit from Bushmaster on my M4. It's really poor quality, made from soft material. Out of the package it wouldn't latch, I had to file the hook to make it match the GI latch.

As a lefty I can operate it with my right hand in the GI configuration, but I was looking for something better. I found that operating the ambi unit as designed puts a lot of lateral pressure on the handle (as someone above mentioned) and can cause it to bind some. The "pinch" position necessary between thumb and forefinger is not a very strong hand position and took a lot of effort. I was also scraping my fingers on the edge of the collapsible stock.

After working with it for a while, I discovered that it worked great if I simply cupped my right hand over the top of the upper and pressed backward with the edge of my index finger (backed up by all my other fingers). The large part of the latch on the left side gave plenty of purchase and the blade shape of my hand in that position allowed a powerful and positive movement. This method seemed to eliminate a lot of the sideways pressure on the handle. It also prevented scaping my hand on the stock.

Now that I've practiced this "cupping" technique, I think I'm going to get and try the other, non-ambi tac-latch, the one with the square shaped handle. This should be more comfortable than the knife edge of the flat ambi unit. I might even plasti-dip the handle and see how that wears. As a lefty I don't have to worry about being stabbed in the back when slung, and my simple (aka Burnsed) sling, being on the lefty side, is also out of snagging range. We'll have to see what else it snags on, though.

AA
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#11]
The tac latch certainly makes it easier to pull the handle with a scoped flattop.  To me the extended metal tab looks like it puts a lot more pressure on the tiny pin that holds the thing on.  You pull back the charging handle with the latch instead of pulling the handle itself.  I wouldn't consider using one except on a scoped flattop.  I do use a tac latch on one of those.  Watch-Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top