Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2006 1:57:36 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? I'm looking to get into black powder, but I only have experiance with modern cap-lock rifles, and I'd like to own a flint lock. Can I cast my own balls for it? If so, can you link me to a mould that would work? Any concerns? How accurate is it?  
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzTraditional.php

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the caplock types and it is plenty accurate.  I installed a tang peep-sight and that's better for my old eyes. I always wanted the flintlock one (real Jeremiah Johnson stuff).

I mould my own balls.  I use an aluminum Lee .490 RB mould with pure lead.  I mic them out and re-throw any +/_ .004
link to mould:  http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/blackpow.html

Some people like the .495 ones because they say they are tighter in the bore. I would councel you to buy a box of both sizes and shoot them and decide for yourself before buying the mould. You might try conicals, too, but that link does not say what the rifling twist is. But this one will give some more info  http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Shooting_TC_BlkPwdr_Guns_Man.pdf

All in all,you can't beat TC's warranty, and that thing will probably last forever, anyway.  If you are careful of your load chain and keep the pan squeeky clean you should have no reliability problems.
I think one would be well served with that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have that model, but I do have 2 flintlocks.  Both are as accurate as I can shoot.  It takes a little time to get over the flinch of the pan charge lighting off.  This is one area where eye protection is everything.  Even more so than in modern firearms.

The one thing I can pass to you that I learned here is to use real black powder.  I tried using pyrodex for my main charge and the 4F in the pan would not ingnite it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would concur with my asteemed colleague from NC.  Use real BP not any of the new substitutes.
And i'd like to add- use real flint.  I believe the french flint is best, but i have seen some stuff from up north in Canada that ain't bad.  Don't use that cut chard crap.  because its crap!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Once again, thanks. Something you may answer, with this style of rifle, how would you completely unload it without using a Co2 unloader or firing it?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You would use a ball puller. It's annoying but much easier than the other alternative of removing the breechplug.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
TC's are very good rifles, Plus you will get perfect customer service if needed. I have 2, I wanted a Carbine so my brother cut the barrel to 18 inches on a lathe. He did not want to try the front sight slot so I sent it back to TC. They installed a new front and rear sight, crowned and blued the barrel and returned it at $0 cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top