Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 9:41:12 PM EDT
Thanks to all who helped me through the 700 PSS acquisition.  It's safely at home and awaits her turn at the range.

I ordered two new ones in the last couple of days!  
1. Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Govt.
Ordering the scope/mount/sling/ammo in a couple more days.

2. Bushmaster lower receiver.
Have all the goodies for this one except the Hogue grip.

No more toys for a helluva long time.  I've had it with new acquisitions for now.  These fill the voids and should be a lot of fun to shoot.
Let the fun begin!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Items 1 and 2: PAID IN FULL.

Item 1: I've got it!

Itme 2: Will be here soon...

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you own a Garand?

What about an M1A?

Marlin 30-30?

Tikka All-Weather in .308?

AR180B?

I'd say you're not done yet.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't get a chance to talk to you about your choice of calibers in lever actions, but I'm glad you went with the 45-70.

Mine is a 444 Marlin and it's fine for me because I reload, but I don't think you do, and there aren't a whole lot of factory ammunition choices available for the 444 and they are all a bit pricey.

At the last show someone was selling of his 450 Marlin for a nice price considering he has the Ashley Scout Mount and site package added to it.  Too bad I really do not want to buy a 450.

Which scope mount did you get?  I recommend the Ashley Outdoors scout mount.  If you don't use a scout stlye scope you can use a standard scope if you make your choice carefully.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Phil,
I posted this on the Big Bore Lever Rifle and Firing Line forums:
----------------------

I'm sitting next to my new Marlin 1895 SS in .45-70 Govt.
Paid in full. It's mine!
I ordered:
Redfield Widefield 2-7 matte scope (undoubtedly the new Japanese made to Redfield spec version).
Redfield JR 1-pc. base; regular finish.
Redfield JR 'bottom access' low rings; regular finish. (this oughtta look slick).
Butler Creek Eye #15; Obj #11 flip-up covers.
Hughes 9-shell buttstock shell holder (I have a Butler Creek 'Alaskan' sling with the 4-shell loops in it).
1-box Remington 300-gr. FP JHP
1-box Remington 405-gr. SP

I picked up a box of Federal 300-gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter FN HP with the rifle.
There was only so much I could do with the tax return, besides pay bills, so I'll wait on the Brownells Latigo sling, Decelerator pad, and other types of ammo for now.

The rifle is impressive. The wood is a darker shade of brown walnut, mostly straight grained with a hint of vertical stripes in the buttstock. Tan buttpad.
Nice combo of satin, polished, and matte surfaces. It should match well with the matte scope and shiny smooth top rings.
I like it a LOT.

Will take it to the range in about a week and a half, when I go on vacation. The rest of the parts should be in by then.
Of course, after an initial clean up, it is ready to shoot NOW... but, I want to take it as it will be outfitted.
The buttstock shell holder and sling with cartridge loops is more for effect. Neat pictures.
That's it for now.
--------------------

I really tried to think of a way to make this one a scout, but, it didn't seem right.
I could, of course have the barrel cut later and have a pistolgrip scout...
This is a rifle, though, and I'll use it as such.
I decided if I want the fun of a scout rifle, I'll go .44 Mag., but, not now.
Ashley Outdoors would certainly be my choice for the parts---Marlin list them in their accessories brochure.

You're right, I don't handload, yet.
I'm only a little excited; can you tell?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's mine...

She started life as a blued 1895SS in 45/70.  I sent her to Kurt's Kustom to have the barrel cut and crowned to 18.5" (unported), a Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed, and to be refinished in matte hard chrome.  I topped her off with a Leupold M8 2.5X20 in Leupold QRW rings on a Weaver base.  I also replaced the rear sight with a Marble folder with adjustable elevation and windage.

I love this rifle!

Bradd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top