Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2009 4:13:59 AM EDT
Recently, I have been thinking about replacing my SAGE Stock (Pre-chop mod, with the fewer welds) with an FDE Troy MCS.  

I would like to get some imput from people that own them and how they like them compared to other M14 stocks on the market.

Who's got the MCS for the best price (and offers a mil discount too)? All I need is the Chassis in FDE, since I already have furniture I could use on it.

I plan on removing the Sage Stock and installing the MCS myself. I don't have any of the original parts because I sold off the 22" barrel.

I know I need a Op Rod Guide (since the Sage uses a special one), but what else will I need to order and from where?

Thanks for any Help,
Nathan

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Iron sights, standard back up front and rear for the M16 series rifles will work in a pinch.
Remember that the front sight must be dimensioned to install on the forend rail and not the gas block.
If you use the gas block dimensioned mount sight you will never get the iron sights to regulate.

Try Brownells.
They offer the MCS stock chassis and give discounts to current military members.
http://www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 5:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently, I have been thinking about replacing my SAGE Stock (Pre-chop mod, with the fewer welds) with an FDE Troy MCS.  

I would like to get some imput from people that own them and how they like them compared to other M14 stocks on the market.

I had a few MCS stocks and sold all of them in favor of the lighter SAGE EBR with the AR style receiver tube extension.
The MCS is a great stock, but I prefer the more robust, less complicated SAGE EBR.

I believe the 2nd generation TROY replaces the front band and uses just two screws up front.
The original TROY utilized the standard front band and had 3 screws up front.

How old is your SAGE EBR? Pictures?

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya, I might be interested in your Sage.

[email protected]

LMK if you want to get rid of it, and what $$ you want.

Nate
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a few MCS stocks and sold all of them in favor of the lighter SAGE EBR with the AR style receiver tube extension.
The MCS is a great stock, but I prefer the more robust, less complicated SAGE EBR.

I believe the 2nd generation TROY replaces the front band and uses just two screws up front.
The original TROY utilized the standard front band and had 3 screws up front.

How old is your SAGE EBR? Pictures?

I believe I got it Fall of 05. I remember IM'ing you about and you said mine was different from the original Sage due to having less welds on the stock portion (upgraded), but still retained the longer length handguard/rails.

I would post pics, but I can't access Photobucket on NIPRnet. I have pictures of it in the photothread, but not sure what page. I'll get em posted later.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

[email protected]

Nate

I want to sell it, but I won't be back in the states till December. Let me know if your willing to wait. The stock looks brand new and I'm only getting rid of it because I don't want a DMR platform anymore.

Nathan

Link Posted: 10/25/2009 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a MCS in Baghdad in 07, i thought it was a bit too large and heavy for an all around setup, but I used it as a DDM, and it worked great in that role.

Id be interested in the Sage as well when you get back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[email protected]

Nate

I want to sell it, but I won't be back in the states till December. Let me know if your willing to wait. The stock looks brand new and I'm only getting rid of it because I don't want a DMR platform anymore.

Nathan

Definitely willing to wait. It would actually be more optimal to be honest.

Thanks
Nate

PS, I'll PM you my contact info (email) so that you'll have it long term.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks. Received and replied.

Back to the Topic of the MCS, how easy is it to install myself?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
super easy.  no special tools besides some hex wrenches and a leatherman
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:37:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

how easy is it to install myself?

Installation is easy and LAW483 is a great distributor to purchase your stock from.

LINK

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had a lot of experience with the SAGE in Iraq.  I was issued a wood stock M14 and then our unit required us to switch to the SAGE.  I didnt like it one bit.  No offence to SAGE owners.  Yesterday I bought a SOCOM 16 w/ a Troy MCS and VLTOR adjustable butt stock.  I havent fired it yet so my opinion isnt worth much.  The feel of the rifle as far as CQB or any off hand firing seems like it would be better with the Troy.  My opinion isnt biased b/c I have a troy.  Honestly I dont quite like the troy either, I plan on replacing it with a factory SOCOM 2 extended rail, although it is growing on me.   I have never handled a SOCOM 2 w/ the origional components are they as front heavy like the aftermarket configurations?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: How old is your SAGE EBR? Pictures?

Here toy go...

Nathan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top