Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2003 9:31:01 AM EDT
OK  I will try this soon unless I am warned of explosions or poison gas. I am surprised no one has thought of it yet. Or at least said that they did and it didn't work.  

Here is how I came up with the idea.  While on DoubleOught's Parkerizing Forum yesterday, I was thinking about how the US as a whole is being more patriotic lately.  I was thinking about Old Glory, our Flag and the Bald Eagle, our symbol of Freedom and then, that foxy Lady Liberty popped into my head.  
Wait a minute!
The Statue of Liberty is made of what?!!!
It turns back to what color very quickly after being cleaned?!!!
Eureka!
SO, now I need to figure out what kind of copper or brass alloy to use instead of iron or zinc or manganese.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read that if you oil the park'd part & put it in an oven around 400F, you'll end up with a greenish finish...ymmv, I haven't tried it. Check t6aluminum.tripod.com/Parkerizing.htm toward the bottom of the page.  Let me know if it works.

-hanko
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
IF YOU GET THIS TO WORK, PLEASE SEND A IM!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/DisplayPDF.aspx?f=Inst-482.pdf

See "Parkerizing Colors" By Scott Duff...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I often thought the "Green" may have been caused by some type of contamination to the park solution.
Whether copper of bronze was accidentaly introduced
Via solution transfer piping or copper tank rivets.
If the original equipment was available you would probably find the reason.
Good luck
Col.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top