Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 1:12:00 PM EDT
Hello Hive,

I would like to mount my YHM Phantom mounts on an AK47 and a CETME, but want to make sure the threads are ok, as these guns have notoriously bad threading...

How are the threads checked?

Is there an easy way, or is it necessary to remove the barrels, etc??

If they are bad, what are my options?

Who can be trusted to fix my threads?

Any other info is also appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

~WTS
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe give ADCO a call?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm doing the same thing with my YHM 762 & Norinco NHM-91. I was just going to install it all and look down the bore for something odd looking.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
AK-47 + CAN = Baffle Strike!!!  I don't care who cuts the threads on these guys, you are looking for a bad day at the range.  Most (not all) AK barrels are made of cheap material.  I have seen a barrel with good threads send a round through the baffles of a YHM Phantom.  IMO it is because of the whip on the barrel with rapid fire.  I watched a shooter shoot a mag+ with single shots and then he put a new mag in and decided to rapid fire it...BAFFLE STRIKE!  On top of that, the AK is not a good host due to how loud it is.  General rule of thumb for me is to keep a can off of the AKs.  If you went out and spent some money an a high quality AK, maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't.  That is just my $.02.  Do what you wish.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies fellas...

Any more input of the actual method of checking the threads?

Any info on CETMEs or other HK clones?

More info on why AKs are poor suppressor hosts?

Why does barrel whip affect the suppressor, not just accuracy in general?

Thanks again,

~WTS
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AK-47 + CAN = Baffle Strike!!!  I don't care who cuts the threads on these guys, you are looking for a bad day at the range.  Most (not all) AK barrels are made of cheap material.  I have seen a barrel with good threads send a round through the baffles of a YHM Phantom.  IMO it is because of the whip on the barrel with rapid fire.  I watched a shooter shoot a mag+ with single shots and then he put a new mag in and decided to rapid fire it...BAFFLE STRIKE!  On top of that, the AK is not a good host due to how loud it is.  General rule of thumb for me is to keep a can off of the AKs.  If you went out and spent some money an a high quality AK, maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't.  That is just my $.02.  Do what you wish.

@ the OP:
I have a WASR-10 & a YHM Phantom with over a thousand rounds and no baffle strikes.  What did I do when I first got my mount?  I installed it, eyeballed it, and when I was comfortable with it I fired a round to verify and check for signs of a strike.  After that, I fired three rounds and rechecked.  Then it was five, and finally I started plinking as normal.  I wanted to run the mount on my AMD-65 pistol, but the threads were too deep and looked off-center so I didn't risk it.  I will say I tightened that mount down *really really really* tight and check it every time before I shoot.  As I recall, YHM's mount doesn't lock into the plunger so it could work itself loose over time.

How to check threads - either send it to a smith or check and see yourself?  I'm not sure what you're asking.  If your threads aren't concentric, it's probably cheaper to buy another AK than to find a new barrel, find one long enough without threads to be chopped, and have the new barrel installed.  I don't know what other options you have besides making a standard AK an SBR & moving back the FSP.

Why is an AK a poor host?  Because it looks like kill your babies evil?    
I get a *lot* of blowback when I run mine suppressed.  It's much filthier than an AR-15 SBR with the same suppressor on a 10.5" barrel.  Sights are standard AK sights, recoil is standard AK recoil, but she blows out a lot of gunk.  It's a little long and front heavy, but that's not really an issue.  The blowback is the real PITA.

Here's a teaser for you:

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Some people think AK barrels are made of aluminum or something?  I've suppressed AK's without issue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Are they not made of aluminum?  Or maybe it is just eastern european pot metal.  Whatver the case, MOST AK barrels are of poor quality.  Maybe you got a Red Jacket AK  Cosmo listed many of the reasons that AKs are not the best hosts.  I prefer to keep my evil baby killing hammer and sickle AK in a non-suppressed configuration, and I am an SOT.  AKs are great for what they are made for...putting a lot of .30Cal fodder down range at a high rate and killing people.  I like my AK for that.  I have seen it happen where far too often an AK will cause a baffle strike.  It is a sickening feeling when it happens.  It is like you wrecked your car and you don't have insurance.  AKs are loud too...the action of the internals moving in the cycle of operations is loud.  Those are just a few reasons I don't like an AK as a host.

Oh and check your barrel...there was a recall on the tin-foil models.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
No words on CETMEs or HK clones?

I guess the same eyeballing method would be employed?

I really hate the idea of eyeballing thousandths of an inch....you guys do know I wear contacts, right?

Any other input would be appreciated!

Thanks for the great replies!

~WTS
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top