Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/5/2005 3:46:32 PM EDT
I needed a new pack, primarily for use on 1-3 day hiking trips in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains. I was sick of having to buy a new medium-sized pack every year - I'd had every type of failure I could imagine with the typical consumer-grade packs (weak zippers, stays blowing out under load, low grade nylon, etc.)

Search Criteria
- 2,000 cubic inches of space, with capability to expand to 3,000+
- PALS webbing to add extra pouches when necessary
- attachment points on the bottom of the bag for sleeping bag / tent
- able to withstand reasonable load (up to 50 lbs)
- some kind of internal frame for stiffness
- coyote brown or o.d. green
- < $200

I thought long and hard about a RAID pack, but I decided not having a waist belt was too limiting for my uses, so I went with the TAG 3-Day Backpack w/ PALS instead. After slightly less than 3 months wait, it finally arrived. I am very pleased.

Pic 1: Front
6 rows, 6-10 columns (more near the bottom due to the taper)

Pic 2: Side
7 rows, 3 columns

Pic 3: Bottom
no PALS

Pic 4: Outer Compartment

Pic 5: Inner Compartment
includes pouch for water bladder and/or frame sheet
(Eagle AIII frame sheet shown - tight fit, but it works)

Pic 6: Inner Compartment
3x 500 round cases of XM193, 1 liter Nalgene, and room to spare!

Pic 7: Back
Shoulder straps are curved for comfort

Pic 8: Sternum Strap Detail
Channels on shoulder straps allow sternum strap to be adjusted, and stay in place

Pic 9: Waist Strap Detail
Waist strap is looped through tri-glides permanently attached to the pack, so it can be removed when necessary

Pic 10: Color Comparison
L-R:
- Land's End Polar Fleece Vest - Sage
- TAG 3-Day Pack - Coyote Brown
- Blackhawk Frag Pouch - OD Green
- Mil. Surp. Boonie Hat - OD Green
- Spec. Ops. Pack-Rat Organizer - Tan

Pros:
- large capacity
- expandibility
- quality materials - much sturdier than anything I've seen from REI/Eddie Bauer/Etc.
- removable waist strap - out of the way if you need to use a 1st line duty belt

Cons:
- no PALS on bottom of pack - it would be nice to be able to strap a sleeping bag here
- missing pulls on main zipper - easy to fix with a little bit of paracord, but seems like it was forgotten, since paracord pulls are included on the outer pocket zipper

Overall, I believe this is an excellent pack AND an excellent value at only $108 from Lightfighter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 4:29:53 PM EDT
Excellent review and some great pictures! Thanks!

Spooky
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 11:03:35 AM EDT
Good review. thanks.
I would like to see ore people do what you did.
I was also wondering if you considered maxpedition or not and why. thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 5:36:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shadow870:
I was also wondering if you considered maxpedition or not and why. thanks again.

I looked at some Maxpedition stuff, and what I saw appeared to be of good quality. However, I decided against it because I wanted to maximize the amount of PALS available for future customization. I like the idea that I could throw on a couple of bottle pouches for a weekend trip, or switch to a couple of mag shingles for going to the range for practice or matches. This pack has more outer-surface PALS than anything else I could find of a similar size.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:35:07 PM EDT
I have been looking for the same type of pack, similar use, etc... But I have decided on the Zulu from Kifaru. Same basic size, different configuration, about $50 more than yours. Good review though and makes me think, did I make the right decision??
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 1:09:19 PM EDT
I have the PPM MAP, and it is one solid pack. Enough space in it to drive a truck through. Go to optactical.com to get pics of the new model MAP.

Link Posted: 11/10/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
Good stuff. I really dig that pack. It looks a little smaller than I imagined it going by the picture with your hand in it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 3:57:44 PM EDT
+1
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 5:10:28 PM EDT
Excellent review, thanks for posting it. A tac pack is on my list...time to retire the battered old ALICE pack once and for all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
awesome review, Paul.

guys, this is a pretty sweet pack in person, too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:07:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 9:10:30 AM EDT by Riddick01]

Originally Posted By edblevi:
I have been looking for the same type of pack, similar use, etc... But I have decided on the Zulu from Kifaru. Same basic size, different configuration, about $50 more than yours. Good review though and makes me think, did I make the right decision??

Where are you seeing the Zulu for about $150? I haven't looked into Kifaru much, but their site shows the Zulu for closer to $250.
Top Top