Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:21:40 AM EDT
Thinking of buying a K-31 from SOG. Any reason not to? Anywhere to get a nicer grade of gun? bores in good shape, ect? a friend who frequents the FAL boards has a couple of them. Man - they are accurate - and well made.

TIA
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:44:20 PM EDT
Very well made, very accurate. If you have a choice pick the best condition one you can. I have never regretted paying the few bucks more for a better condition C&R.
Be sure to order some of that swiss made ammo too. This is one case where handloads can not measure up to the mil-issue stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:03:11 PM EDT
Tate, I just recently bought a Swiss K-31 from SOG.
Their description is a little better than the actual condition- I specified a minimum 85% blueing and received a rifle with less than 50%, but it is in otherwise good condition. The stock is almost perfect, and that is where most of these rifles have a problem.
Look at the rifles offered at the following sites. I haven't bought from them, but several different have friom several different dealers. Their comments can be found on parralax's site and the C&R forum. I don't want to look as if I am trying to steal someone to another forum but there are more C&R enthusiasts on those boards.
Contact me email if this doesn't help. Check several websites and then call and talk to them before buying.
You will like your K-31!
Jim

http://www.fgsinc.8m.com/custom4.html

http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html#k31swiss

http://www.simpsonltd.com/news.htm

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:26:05 PM EDT
I have a K31... My first ever gun. Shoots great, the bores on nearly all the ones I've seen are in great shape. Get the SOG if you want a shooter. If you want a collectors piece get one from FGS Inc., thats where I got mine by the way. Im going to get a better condition one as soon as I get an AR. lol.

GP-11 ammo is great, berdan primed though. NORMA makes boxer primed ammo, very expensive but reloadable.

One other thing, these arent exactly pop guns. In my experiance they recoil ALOT more than my Enfield, and other C&R rifles I've shot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:56:54 PM EDT
I agree, for a shooter buy the least expensive one you can that is in reasonably good condition.
I had planned on rebluing mine anyway so it doesn't matter much.
A word of caution- specify good wood. Some of the stocks are chewed up pretty badly at the buttplate, and stocks are expensive. I have seen some that cost more than I paid for my whole rifle.
Jim
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:31:29 PM EDT
i have four of them from Aim surplus, but i believe thay are all out now. two walnut stocks, and two beech stocks. the walnuts are real nice looking wood, and the beech are an interesting orange color. all the bores are in excellent mirror condition. i just figured out how to make a scope mount for them and think i'm going to mount a scope on one to really bring out the accuracy potential. check out dansammo.com for ammunition. they are one of my favorite purchases, i reccommend picking one up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:53:14 PM EDT
I took one of mine to a DCM 100 yard high power match last month. Firing against about 8 other guys with M1's, an M1A, a Mini-14, and an AR-15, I was the only guy there with a manually-operated rifle. I'm not the greatest shot in the world and didn't rack up the points I should have in the slow prone, plus I panicked a bit in the first rapid fire stage and put two shots completely outside the scoring rings, but still took 2nd place in the match.

The guy with the AR took first, and was really in a class by himself -- 99 out of 100 in one of the rapid fire stages.

The K31 is quick, and by using an extra magazine I took off one of my others it turned out I had plenty of time to get into position and fire off 10 aimed shots in 60 seconds. I couldn't even begin to do the rifle justice accuracy-wise, but then I always fire matches without a sling or rigid shooting jacket like the hotshots use. I consider them things sissy stuff!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:14:04 AM EDT
I found a place that sells spare magazines.....for $59! I think I'll just buy another rifle for $40 more. It is my favorite C&R purchase so far.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:05:13 PM EDT
Get one, you won't regret it. First shot out of mine hit the clay pigeon I was aiming at out past 100 yards...NONE of my other milsurps could do that. The action is smooth as silk, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

At one point, SOG had new production FNM ammo that shot like a champ it it...I save the brass, but it's nearing the end of it's life. For some reason, the K-31 is hard on brass...and you need to full size resize it, for some reason, as well.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Schmidt-Rubin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:14:10 PM EDT
I routinly hit clay pigeons at 100m with my K98 and M36 Swede mauser. Milk jugs at 200. This is with Turk, and Bosnian ammo - open sights.

My K-31 shoots better than all the other mil-surps but the Swedes IMO. Great gun, too bad the ammo cost so much and is in such short supply.

I am happy with all the versions of my Swiss rifles, and would not hesitate to get more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:23:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fenian:
For some reason, the K-31 is hard on brass...and you need to full size resize it, for some reason, as well.

It might not be the K-31 that's hard on the brass, but your dies. I seem to recall that the chamber dimensions on the K-31 are different from earlier Swiss rifles. The body diameter at the shoulder is considerably larger, if my memory serves.

Since most die manufacturers established their dimensions for the Swiss round years back, they based them on the older rifles that were being imported at that time. I guess you could blame either the rifle or the die, but the result is that the brass gets worked back and forth a lot more than what's necessary.

Graf's is supposed to be importing some more reloadable brass any day now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:29:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By obershutze916:
I routinly hit clay pigeons at 100m with my K98 and M36 Swede mauser.

Most bolt action military rifles probably have the potential accuracy to do this. The nice thing about the K-31 is that the sight settings don't start way out at 300 meters like many others do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:06:52 PM EDT
I have been reloading my NORMA brass with my Lee 7.5 Swiss collet neck size die. It works fine as long as you don't use hot loads.

I just use the starting load of H-4895.

I've been told that at some time I'll need to "bump" the shoulder back with my full length size die. Not there yet. YMMV

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Fenian:
Get one, you won't regret it. First shot out of mine hit the clay pigeon I was aiming at out past 100 yards...NONE of my other milsurps could do that. The action is smooth as silk, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

At one point, SOG had new production FNM ammo that shot like a champ it it...I save the brass, but it's nearing the end of it's life. For some reason, the K-31 is hard on brass...and you need to full size resize it, for some reason, as well.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Schmidt-Rubin.

Top Top