Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 11:03:34 AM EDT
Has anyone used the Surefire recharable batteries before?  Im over here in the desert working nights and am going through 123A batteries like its going out of style.  Is there a difference in burn time with the rechargables? Better or worse?  Im currently using a G2 with LED conversion....
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
lol... Is your unit giving you the panasonics? They suck. I used to keep four extra in my ankle pocket on my ACU and a few in the pockets of my coveralls.

I just left VBC motorpool 2! Worked nights too.

No good answer on the sure fire recharge but one of my mechanics was using a streamlight stinger? that was rechargeable. He would make it through the shift on a charge. Our shift ran from 1600-0100. It wasnt too bad.

I have a Streamlight scorpion and a surefire C2 Centurion. I brought over a pack of surefire batteries and they last a bit longer then the panasonics in the scorpion do.
Get a head lamp man. Saves a lot of cussin.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 8X or 8NX, can't remember, that I used for duty years ago.     There were many times that I charged the light and then placed it on my duty belt, whether it's my days off in between or something else, the next time I would grab to use the light it's dead.   And we're just talking a matter of days here.   After getting frustrated with this, I replaced it with a G2Z and M3 (non-rechargeable).   Sure batteries cost more but I know it'll work when I need it.   In your case, since you'll be using the light daily I don't think it'll be a problem since you're probably gonna charge it every day.    

Let me also add that, I'm now using the Pelican 7060 LED Rechargeable light (dept. issued).   This thing is hands down way better than my old 8X.   Not only is it an LED so you don't have to worry about bulbs going out on you, but it offers a very strong beam with a solid center.   I'm sure there's others out there, but I can only speak about this one since it's the only one I have experience with.   If I were to buy a rechargeable light it would definitely be a LED light.   Hard to beat for truer color and durability.   Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Tenergy batteries from Battery Junction. They are 3.7V 900mA batteries that came with a AC and DC charger. I've been using them in the following with no issues: Night Ops Gladius, Sure Fire G2 LED, SF LX2, SF E1B, and Streamlight TLR1 and 2. My EDC light is either my Gladius or LX2 depending on if I'm on duty or not and I'll run the rechargeables in them with  another setas backup. I've never run into a dead battery issue with these unless I've left the light on and I can go for days between charges. The Gladius is nice bc it'll flashes every so often in constant on mode letting me know that the batteries are close to dying. I'll usually change batteries weekly even if they don't need it to keep things fresh and ready.
Sounds like your situation necessitates a constant use on your dime.If your in a position to be able switch out and charge the batteries I wouldn't hesitate trying them. Keep in mind though that Sure Fire is going to recommend against it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
With the LED bulbs, you are likely OK, but Surefire does not recommend rechargeables in the 6P's that I have.  I did the $10/225 Lumen LED swap from Deal Extreme and they are rated for up to 12v.  Most of the Tenergy, UltraFire and other RCR123's are 3.7v, not 3.0v like a primary battery.  Even the 3.0v Tenergy RCR123's I have are 3.6+v at full charge, but quickly diminish to near 3.0v.  That may be too much for an incandescent bulb though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
What type of led conversion are you using?  I have a couple of 6P's and in the beginning I put on a led converion with cree bulb from an off spec company.  The power drain was worse than the regular bulb set up.  I would get around 25 minutes of run time off of it.  It was very bright but battery life sucked.  I did some reading and ended up ordering a replacement head from  Malkoff flashlights.  His stuff is very top shelf.  My light is now running 240 lumens and I can get over an hour plus on runtime.  He makes very very good equipment.  I am pretty sure he makes rechargable stuff also but I have never had the need.  Battery junction sells the 123's for around 1.00/ the last time I checked.  I bought alot so I would always have them as backups.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]

The LED stuff is much more efficient.  I have not done a runtime test myself, but from reading posts about these on this and other boards, 4+ hrs at ~225 lumens with standard CR123 primaries (3.0v, non rechargeable) is average.  With the 2x3.7v rechargeable RCR123's, it is brighter (the LED will take up to 18v - the more volts, the brighter it gets)

Here's the link to the LED's I bought...they are down to $8.45 free shipping now.  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont use rechargables in your stock surefire. the stock bulbs are rated to 3.0 v the rechargeables are 3.7 v. TVNC makes a great drop in. if you do want to go rechargable, bore the body and tailcap and use 18650 batts. or buy one already bored at candlepower
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top