Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 7:20:44 AM EDT
Looks pretty good and I like the assisted opening.  Need some advice??
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Overpriced. I have a Benchmade Nimravus with the combo-blade and in M2. It's the best knife I've ever used. Got it for $125 online. The thing that matters above all else in a knife is the blade material. 154CM is just about the toughest commonly used stainless steel used in knives today. M2's a bit tougher but it's prone to rust so you have to take care of it more. The Surefire uses CPMS30V which is a proprietary steel but it offers little noticable benefits over 154CM.
Check out the Benchmade website, find a similar knife, and buy two. Why two? Because the Surefire Alpha costs twice as much as almost any Benchmade yet it certainly is nowhere close to twice the knife.
Word of advice, avoid the Benchmade red class since it's made in Taiwan. Black is the "practical" class and in my opinion the best (I own a 140, 145, and a Rescue Hook). Blue is the every day class. Gold is the custom class. Hopefully that answers your question.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got to disagree with caneau on some things...

There is not a single knife in the Benchmade line that is comparable to the SureFire Alpha.  The Alpha is a full-size folder with a flipper and a DLC coated S30V blade over 4", something that Benchmade simply does not offer.  I own a couple Benchmade knives (Manual Stryker and Mini-Reflex Auto), and they are very tough and reliable for the price... both of mine also have 154CM blades.  However, they are no comparison for custom (or semi-custom) knives like the Steve Ryan designed SureFire Alpha.  I also own a Strider SnG and Chris Reeve Knives 5.5" Green Beret Knife, and I can promise you that they are worth twice as much as my Benchmades.

Also, there are many in the knife community that would take great issue over the S30V vs. 154CM comparison.  154CM is definitely a great stainless steel, but it cannot compare to the particle metallurgy technology of the Crucible CPM steels.  S30V beats 154CM on toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance.  That is the main reason most custom knife makers are moving toward using this steel in hard-use knives.  M2 steel is not stainless, so it actually belongs in a different class.

With the SureFire Alpha, you get an awesome Steve Ryan design using top-notch materials for a bargain basement price... a Steve Ryan custom would easily cost you $600 or more.  Am I going to get rid of my Benchmades?  Absolutely not, they are great knives for the price, but I also do not regret purchasing my Strider or Chris Reeve Knives.  Hope this helps...

-Randy
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to disagree with double on a few things too

Benchmade does in fact make a knife very similar to the Surefire Alpha. It's called the 630 Skirmish and the blade is made out of S30V. The blade is 4.3" long and the knife is almost 10" long open. The difference between S30V and 154CM is kind of like the difference between a Ferrari and a Corvette. You pay quite a bit more for a marginal difference in performance and the prestige of owning something more "special". It also retails for $220 so you can probably pick one up for $180 if you search hard enough.
So, what it comes down to and what both of us are saying is it depends on what you'll use the knife for. If you want a custom knife that looks great, is made of top-notch materials, unique in design, and will hold its value, then go for the Surefire or any other custom or semi-custom knife. If you use a knife as a tool on a daily basis, want the best "cut for the buck", and need something that if you accidentally drop in a lake, you won't kick yourself for the rest of your life about it, then go with a Benchmade.

Hopefully we answered your question thoughrally enough.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like the assisted opening.

I assumed he wanted the flipper since that was the only feature of the Alpha that he mentioned.  The BM Skirmish does not have a flipper, and at $220 MSRP is approaching the SF Alpha in price ($300 MSRP).  Add a coating to the blade, if that is important, and the two are very similar in price, performance, and quality.  You can also easily customize the Skirmish handle with a custom flame job (like current production Striders) to the titanium handles if you don't like the rainbow dots.

-Randy
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
brantley, as you can see, everybody has opinions about everything on this board. It's your money, pick the knife you like better, and enjoy it. Any knife from one of the top designers and manufacturers will serve you for many years.
I did look into the price of the two knives a bit more. The lowest price I could find for the Alpha was $275. The lowest for the 630 was $150. Word of advice though, if you have your eye set on one, just buy it. You'll regret it less later on. A few months ago, I picked up the fifth Benchmade 690 made from the first production run (serial nunber 005/1000). Sure I had to brown bag it for a week (even though I got the knife for MSRP), but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Enjoy your new knife, which ever one you pick!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I think its ugly.  

But hey so are Eothings and tons of people have those......  huh Grant?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top