User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2002 6:20:45 AM EDT
What is the story???
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I think that there'll be a variety of threads that'll pop up about this 'cause it's an important case.  Maybe this topic too will become as familiar as the "Where's The Search Button" ones, and may eventually be archived in the Jeopardy thread?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think that there'll be a variety of threads that'll pop up about this 'cause it's an important case.  Maybe this topic too will become as familiar as the "Where's The Search Button" ones, and may eventually be archived in the Jeopardy thread?

President Bush has opposed city lawsuits against the gun industry.

Also involved in the court's considerations will be information about people who bought multiple weapons, which is kept in another ATF database. The government refuses to reveal names from that database as well.

"There is simply no reasonable expectation of privacy involved in the purchase of firearms. And the recovery of a firearm by the authorities in the course of a criminal investigation is even less private," the Supreme Court was told by Lawrence Rosenthal, Chicago's attorney.

Solicitor General Theodore Olson, in his filings, said the ATF has reasonable policies designed to balance privacy with security. He said the appeals court decision "would significantly intrude upon the privacy of hundreds of thousands of individuals _ including firearms purchasers, potential witnesses to crime, and others -- without meaningfully assisting the public to evaluate the conduct of the federal government."

ATF has varying rules for releasing information. Some is released after one year, some after two and some after five years. And some details, like names, are never made available.

Rosenthal said the information would let the public evaluate the performances of law agencies. He said information in sensitive cases is coded and would not be made public.

Larry H. James, representing the 300,000-member Fraternal Order of Police, said: "This case not just about the release of data information, it is about the actual lives" of officers.

"Significant interference with their work, and a threat to their very lives, is squarely presented in this case," he wrote in urging the court to review the case.

The case is United States Department of the Treasury v. City of Chicago, 02-322.

FYI---I found the search button.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
WHERE ????

IM me please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Larry H. James, representing the 300,000-member Fraternal Order of Police, said: "This case not just about the release of data information, it is about the actual lives" of officers.

So the cop's rights are always more important than ours?

Why is it so often when you see a gun-grabber speaking in public, not far behind them are cops that support them?z
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll tell ya....95% of the cops out there are against gun grabbing.  The cops you see out there standing behind democrat politicians that are mostly anti gun, are "sell out" officers.

I should know, because I am a cop here in L.A.  I've never understood it why our associations (cop unions) endorse the anti gunning left wing politicians.  This issue has come up dozens of times and our assaocations always have the same answer:  Those left wing politicians give us more money/funding for law enforcement purposes, than do Conservative Republicans.  Yet at the same time, our association presidents and officers, generally and privately vote "Republican".  

I've written several letters along with my fellow deputies pointing out that our association "leaders" are nothing but "sell outs" to the left wing anti gun agenda.  Apparently it doesn't matter to our "union" officials, just as long as they keep their jobs.

No matter who we vote into office for our associations, they some how get their "nuts" removed and always support the left wingers.  That's the demise of America in my opinion.  Making deals with the devil.

I've quit several organizations due to the fact they support the anti gunning establishment, all on behalf of "law enforcement."  

Example, CNOA (CA Narcotic Officer's Association), FOP (Fraternal Org of Police), etc...

The only Pro-gun law enforcement organizations out there are of the "private" sector.  i.e NRA and the LEAA (Law Enforcement Alliance of America.)

Everyone else, stinks.  Including ALADS (Assoc of Los Angles Deputy Sheriff's) and the LAPD's (Police Protective League).  Both are left wing anti gun organizations, yet 95% of their "forced" membership are all pro-gunners.

When Bill Klinton came to L.A., I refused to go up on stage and have my picture behind him for a photo op.  Same with our communist Governor (Gay Davis).

I'm not a "sell out"
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<snip>
When Bill Klinton came to L.A., I refused to go up on stage and have my picture behind him for a photo op.  Same with our communist Governor (Gay Davis).

I'm not a "sell out"

That would have been a picture to see. You, with Klinton, giving him the bird.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top