Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:50:56 AM EDT
I posted this question on the AR pistol board and haven't had a reply, so figured I'd throw it here, too...

How long of a barrel do I *need* to keep it from tearing up the can? I've got a TAC-16 on a very heavy HBAR right now that I'd throw on the AR pistol (home defense duty) to get the weight down some.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:34:14 AM EDT
Barrel length shouldn't matter. It's the alignment that will or will not cause a strike. Just make sure it's properly installed and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:58:20 AM EDT
Most suppressor mfgs give a minimum barrel length of 10.5".

IIRC, Ops. Inc. is the only mfg that will warranty use on 7.5" barrels.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:38:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigcraig:
Most suppressor mfgs give a minimum barrel length of 10.5".

IIRC, Ops. Inc. is the only mfg that will warranty use on 7.5" barrels.

But that's not about baffle strikes, it's about pressure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:45:40 AM EDT
make sure your bullets are fully stabilized with that short of a barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:11:30 PM EDT
If weight and length are a consideration, a silencer like the AAC Ranger would be 1.75 inches shorter and over a half a pound lighter, and be quieter than the TAC 16.

So you could go with a pistol with a 2" longer barrel and still be overall the same and be much lighter on the front end.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:22:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
If weight and length are a consideration, a silencer like the AAC Ranger would be 1.75 inches shorter and over a half a pound lighter, and be quieter than the TAC 16.

So you could go with a pistol with a 2" longer barrel and still be overall the same and be much lighter on the front end.

Unfortunately, I have to worth with what I have.

So, 10.5 or so then is the consensus for the TAC-16?
Top Top