Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 12:02:05 PM EDT
As I'm new to suppressors I'm still learning here....

I've seen several posts referencing "timing" of a suppressor mount using shims (specifically AAC suppressor mounts).

I see that AAC sells shim kits by caliber that appear to have several different shims within the kit.

When you buy and attach a suppressor mount, do you put all of the shims in the kit or just one specific one??  If only one, how do you know which one to put on?

Someone please explain this whole "timing" thing as it relates to suppressor mounts!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm unfamiliar with those mounts, but "timing" refers to getting a particular point on the mount pointed in a particular direction when fully torqued on.  This depends on length of thread and where the thread starts on the circumference.  Shims are used to arrange the desired timing by getting the device to bottom out sooner.  You won't know which shims you need or how many until you try to mount a particular device on a specific rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Idealy you dont use any peal washers.......but if you need to so that mounting lugs are pointed in a certain direction (like my Gemtech G5 BiLock, big lug up) than use as few and thin as needed to get your desired results.  Its best to check with the manf. and see how they want it set up.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotcha!  Now it makes sense.

Thanks for the explanations, they are much appreciated!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top