Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 8:27:29 PM EDT
I do know the AK by design, isn't the best host
Shoot outside and will never buy subsonic ammo. Just looking for "hearing safe"
SOCOM 7.62 (suggested by an awesome member) I like it, but is expensive and im aware of the "concentric to the barrel" issue with the AK.

Say one was to mill the FSB, then thread the existing barrel. What would be the best option in thread pattern and suppressor choice?

If one could get away with a standard design that doesn't need a FH...that would be best, as it would stay on there.

Thanks for any help!

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I do know the AK by design, isn't the best host
Shoot outside and will never buy subsonic ammo. Just looking for "hearing safe"
SOCOM 7.62 (suggested by an awesome member) I like it, but is expensive and im aware of the "concentric to the barrel" issue with the AK.

Say one was to mill the FSB, then thread the existing barrel. What would be the best option in thread pattern and suppressor choice?

If one could get away with a standard design that doesn't need a FH...that would be best, as it would stay on there.

Thanks for any help!

View Quote

You won't be able to get it hearing safe. You can quiet it down a bit, but it can't be made hearing safe.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a YHM LT can. Tough, inexpensive, and compatible flash hider thread patterns for your goal.

1/2"-28
1/2"-36
M14x1 LH

Without modification the AK will probably be overgassed. Just a warning.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked high and low for a good option for my krink.  If you have a 24x1.5 gas block, there really isn't anything out there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You won't be able to get it hearing safe. You can quiet it down a bit, but it can't be made hearing safe.
Sorry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry.

Nothing out there at all? Shooting outside?

Quoted:
Use a YHM LT can. Tough, inexpensive, and compatible flash hider thread patterns for your goal.

1/2"-28
1/2"-36
M14x1 LH

What are the modifications you speak of?

Quoted:
I looked high and low for a good option for my krink.  If you have a 24x1.5 gas block, there really isn't anything out there.

Understood. The idea here is to mill off the factory gas block threads and thread the existing barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1/2"-28
1/2"-36
M14x1 LH

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/434344_Suppressed_AK.html

Read the 4th and final post in that link.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Understood. The idea here is to mill off the factory gas block threads and thread the existing barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

Quoted:

1/2"-28
1/2"-36
M14x1 LH

Quoted:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.  If that is the case then any 30 cal rifle can will work.  As others have said, the AK platform is not the best for suppressed use.  But with that being said, it is still way quieter than unsuppressed.  Just realize that it wont be as quiet as a suppressed ar15 for example.  I'm not sure i would worry about the over gassing on a kink (im no expert though).  I would think that it would have less dwell time than a full length ak, but the pressure may be more as the gas block is closer to the receiver.  The only suppressed AK i have shot was a WASR that had the barrel cut about an inch, fsp moved back and then re-threaded and had a YHM can on the end.  It worked fine and was not modified in any way except for the thread job and moving the FSP back.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

No centerfire rifle cans are actually hearing safe with supers. And on a Krinkov they'll all be much louder than optimal.
Even on the best hosts with longer barrels they will do damage to your ears without ear pro.

Not being a pedantic nitpicker, just a half-deaf guy giving you a heads up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Im bummed. Figured there was something out there to tame the beast
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Can doesn't do much on an AK. Not worth the money and effort. Get a 4 piece flash hider. They project the sound down range a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top