Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2009 6:00:47 PM EDT
I'm going to be forming a trust and getting a short barrel and a suppressor.

What is the best or worst barrel length to have with a suppressor?

My thought is that since i'm getting a short barrel for home defense (need to shoot in a hallway), I might as well get the shortest I can. But I wonder if a barrel can be TOO short with or without a suppressor?

Thanks,

Chris
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The shorter the barrel, the harder it is on the suppressor. 10.5 and 11.5 + suppressors are very popular and will have a similar overall length as a 16" carbine.

12.5" barrels + a reflex style suppressor is also a good option. Longer barrel for higher velocity and less abuse on the suppressor. A reflex type can will keep the overal length similar to a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What is a reflex suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The shorter the barrel, the harder it is on the suppressor. 10.5 and 11.5 + suppressors are very popular and will have a similar overall length as a 16" carbine.

12.5" barrels + a reflex style suppressor is also a good option. Longer barrel for higher velocity and less abuse on the suppressor. A reflex type can will keep the overal length similar to a 16" carbine.

How does the shorter barrel cause less abuse? I'm new to the suppressor world, but since the shorter barrel produces less velocity, wouldn't that mean LESS abuse to the suppressor because the bullet is going much slower?
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
A reflex style suppressor goes back over the barrle. Examples are Surefire FA556AR, AAC M4/SPR, and Ops Inc. cans.

The shorter barrel produces more muzzle blast and concussion. This increased blast + unburnt powder and other crap is brutal on the internals of a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
the bullet is irrelevant unless you have a baffle strike.

shorter barrel means you have more pressure, more gas, more fire, more bang, more unburned powder.

this translates into more wear.

Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahhhhhh! I see!

So does anyone know the magic barrel length? i guess the overall max length that i'd want is 16"....
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So does anyone know the magic barrel length? i guess the overall max length that i'd want is 16"....

There's not a "magic" barrel length. A 12.5" with a reflex style suppressor is probably the best compromise. Surefire makes an adapter for their reflex can to fit a 11.5" barrel, but the overall length is not reduced significantly from a 12.5" barrel with their standard mount.

Perhaps Zack3g will be kind enough to post pics of his 11.5" + SF FA556AR suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
SWEET MOTHER that is a bad ass rig, my friend.....i will have covetous dreams of that rifle tonight.

What about ammo.

Is it true that ALL sub-sonic ammo will not cycle it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SWEET MOTHER that is a bad ass rig, my friend.....i will have covetous dreams of that rifle tonight.

What about ammo.

I've heard of a subsonic load that some company makes to cycle the AR-15. I also heard that it's something like $1.50/round.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Subsonic .223 has barely more energy than .32ACP and significantly less than .38Special..
Get a .22LR and put a Thompson Machine $100 can on that. You'll be about $1800 ahead.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What about ammo.

There is cycling subsonic.  Its expensive and rather unstable.  Extreme Shock makes it.  Get a .22 upper and .22 can if you want to do subsonic plinking.

I reccomend a 12.5" upper and a back over the barrel can.  AAC SPR/M4 and Ops 12th are the two quietest cans.  Length is about the same as a standard 16" with A2 flash hider.  Back over the barrel designs also reduce blow back... the most annoying thing about silencers IMO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Zack3g, is that mounted on a SF CA556AR203 adapter?

Nice setup!
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
i don't remember the model number of the mount, but it is the special one for 11.5 barrels and rifles with a 203 mounted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top