Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/5/2012 2:32:22 PM EST
I'm going to apologize, right now, for some of the questions I'm going to ask - I don't know a durn thing about suppression and I've been asked, by my wife, to find her a rifle and suppressor. So, I'm trying to learn enough to give her some advice; and that means I have to ask some newb questions and, probably, some strange ones - to accommodate what she's looking for: A quiet gun with limited recoil that will be good for deer, hogs and the occasional predator.

I know that a suppressor will reduce recoil, but how much? - shooting standard loads and shooting subsonics? I'm talking in broad generalities here because I know there are a lot of variables

Let's take a .308, for example. If you shot a standard supersonic 168gr .308 round through a suppressor, what would the recoil equate to - a .223? A .243? A 20ga shotgun?
If you shot a subsonic 168gr .308 through a suppressor, what would the 'felt' recoil equate to?

In case you're wondering why I ask - my wife is suffering some health issues that make recoil especially uncomfortable and, at times, downright painful. So, she's looking for something with a lighter recoil; but she also likes the knock down power of the .308 If a suppressor would lighten the felt recoil on a .308 to something she could tolerate, that's the route she'd like to go. She can always go with a .243 or .223 but she's really hoping that a suppressed rifle will allow her to shoot a heavier round.

Another possibility is a 300 Blackout. I've never shot one. What is the recoil comparable to (assuming the use of a suppressor) with a supersonic load and with a subsonic load?

Suggestions? If it helps, think of picking a caliber for a 12-14 year old kid on his first big buck hunt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:18:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2012 3:20:13 PM EST by Wyldman]
Recoil reduction of a .308 with a suppressor, by general consensus and personal experience on my AR-10's seems to be about 50%. This may seem like it's too good to be true, but I find shooting with the can on my AR-10 leaves me feeling a lot less pain after prolonged shooting (I have a spinal inury and excessive recoil does really bad things to me).

On my .300 AAC BLK upper using the same YHM SS Phantom and sub-sonic loads, the recoil is like shooting a .22 WRM, just barely more than one of my .22LR rifles. The loads I use are suitable for knocking down some pretty large pigs inside of 100 yds, easily. I plan on deer hunting this season using that combo, but with supersonic, lighter bullet loads for some longer ranges (out to 300yds or so).

There is another thread already started recently that discusses the recoil issue at some length. LINK to thread.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:45:45 PM EST
Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:05:52 PM EST
Another thing to consider in your purchase is that suppressors only decrease the "felt recoil", the recoil that the weapon absorbs is increased however. If you are looking to put a can on a bolt gun, then you won't have too much to worry about, but if you're going to put one on a gas gun then you'd better make sure that you have a gas block switch bc it can cause a lot of premature wear on the components.

PM any of us at sniper shop if we can help you out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:51:41 AM EST
There's also the fact that adding a can adds weight to your weapon, and adding weight reduces recoil slightly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:33:28 AM EST
In service calibers it's comparable to adding a muzzle brake.

Look into 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:24:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 3:25:43 PM EST by KaiK]
I have a 308 bolt gun. I would say it is very close to 50% if not more reduction in felt recoil.

With subsonics the recoil is equivalent to a .22.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:06:15 PM EST
Yesterday I had the chance to shoot 2 308 bolt guns. One was a 25" 14.5lbs beast, and the other was a 20" 8 to 9 lbs LTR. Both were Remington 700s. Neither had a can on. The difference was again about 50% felt recoil, with the longer, heavier rifle having much less felt recoil. There are lots of factors that come into play when you talk about felt recoil. Weight of the weapon is a major factor. Keep that in mind when you make your final decision.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:22:20 AM EST
OP, if you're near San Antonio, I have a 308 bolt gun suppressed. Recoil is more of a push, very mild. You're welcome to come try it. It wears a brake when shooting un-suppressed. I also have access to a 700 with no brake for comparison.
Top Top