Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 11:32:31 AM EDT
Has anyone suppressed the M1A? Does it hold up well or is there too much ejection noise? I was thinking of going with the Omega from SWR. Lets hear it. Medic17
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.  Interesting question.  I'd be curious to know this too.  So... TAG.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Suppressed M14 in a SAGE with a 18" barrel.

Suppressed M14 in a GI synthetic stock with a 22" barrel. PHOTO LINK

Both rifles utilize the Smith Enterprise, Inc. DC Vortex flash hider and the SEI/Fisher M14DC sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Man dont keep me in suspense how well does it preform?  Are you pleased with it? ECT!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Man dont keep me in suspense how well does it preform?  Are you pleased with it? ECT!

Once my Form 4 gets approved I can tell you.  I'm getting the same suppressor that is in the photo above.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once my Form 4 gets approved I can tell you.  I'm getting the same suppressor that is in the photo above.

+1  -  I'm also waiting on approval.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Has anyone suppressed the M1A? Does it hold up well or is there too much ejection noise? I was thinking of going with the Omega from SWR. Lets hear it. Medic17

===========

Much experience with the M14DC design.  As to it holding up, this thing is essentially indestructable and if that's not good enough, remember: it's rebuildable in the field.  This is a compelling factor in the decision by several military organizations to procure this design.  It is not the quietest, but that wasn't the objective in developing this unit.  It is nonetheless, very quiet and accuracy with this unit is phenomenal.    

I'm waiting on my own, as well.        
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Whats the weight and specs on that piece?  Kinda off topic, but what is the weight difference between a GI wood stock and that Sage stock?  Looks like an overall well built setup.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife's nephew used one in Iraq.  He said when set up inside a room, even with the suppressor he wore earplugs because of the stone walls.  Not sure what type of suppressor it had, I just saw it in some pics when he showed me some of his gear.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
From my book M14 Rifle History and Development:

"Smith Enterprise, Inc. and Fisher Enterprises (Tempe, AZ) have developed and produce a M14 sound suppressor that quickly attaches and detaches from the Smith Enterprise, Inc. direct connect flash hider.  It is part of the M14SE semi-automatic sniper system.  This sound suppressor weighs 2 pounds 1 ounce and has an overall length of 11.2 ”.  The casing is made of surface hardened titanium.  The suppressor does not require any modification of the M14 type gas system.  The quick detach mechanism is made from stainless steel.  All of the baffles are coated with thin dense chromium resulting in a surface hardness of 80 HRC.  The first baffle in the sound suppressor is coated with polytetrafluoroethylene over the chromium."
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The revised SEI CH Mk 14 Mod 0 EBR phase II configuration includes a slight opening of the gas port to accommodate optimal use of the M14DC suppressor.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The revised SEI CH Mk 14 Mod 0 EBR phase II configuration includes a slight opening of the gas port to accommodate optimal use of the M14DC suppressor.

==========
That's quite correct, in fact the USN will have their MK14 Mod O barrels modded to reflect this SEI development (along with a host of other upgrades ala "Phase II") as part of their ECP. All the USAF MK14s will have this feature built in from the outset.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

==========
That's quite correct, in fact the USN will have their MK14 Mod O barrels modded to reflect this SEI development (along with a host of other upgrades ala "Phase II") as part of their ECP. All the USAF MK14s will have this feature built in from the outset.

M14SE Phase II is also discussed in my book.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

==========

M14SE Phase II is also discussed in my book.

It is my plan to be reading about this and much more very soon.

My USPS MO went out in this mornings mail for two autographed copies of your book
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, H20_MAN.  I autographed the complimentary copies tonight.  They will go out tomorrow.  Also the American Rifleman e-mailed me for a copy to review.  So, that goes out tomorrow too. Turns out the Senior Executive Editor is a M14 fan.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I think my springfield loaded is going to become a MK14 Mod 0 in the near future.  The more I look at pics like this, the more enticing it becomes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
do you have more pics of the first rifle?  Who made the stock and rail?  Is the vortex modified or does this twist on and off??  

More pics???
Photo Link

The stock is a SAGE EBR. 13" top rail.

The slightly shorter "Chop Mod" version is all that's available now. 11.25" top rail.

The scope rail is made by Smith Enterprise, Inc.

The DC Vortex is un-modified and also made by SEI. The suppressor kinda snaps-on and snaps-off the groove cut into the FS.

Mk 14 Mod O (SASS) EBR I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I am going to be placing a SWR Omega or SORAD on the end of my boom stick. I really like SWR's products and the customer service is second to none.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think I am going to be placing a SWR Omega or SORAD on the end of my boom stick. I really like SWR's products and the customer service is second to none.

SWR is just down the road from me and makes excellent products - however, it is unclear how you go about mounting their can to an M14/M1A rifle.

There are no questions about intalling the SEI/Fisher can - as long as you install the correct DC Vortex you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top