Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/6/2007 3:15:39 PM EST
Hey Guys, I recently had the opportunity to reserve an AI AW .308 locally.

And of course, it needs to be suppressed. I currently have a GAP .308 that has been reprofiled for the OPS 3rd model, and would like to keep the AI barrel untouched.

What do you recommend? What are my options with their threaded barrels?

Im fairly "in-the-know" with suppressors, but curious to see the responses..
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:39:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By chromeluv:
Hey Guys, I recently had the opportunity to reserve an AI AW .308 locally.

And of course, it needs to be suppressed. I currently have a GAP .308 that has been reprofiled for the OPS 3rd model, and would like to keep the AI barrel untouched.

What do you recommend? What are my options with their threaded barrels?

Im fairly "in-the-know" with suppressors, but curious to see the responses..

I'd send ZakSmith a message... He's got a couple AIs with suppressors. And I read one of his articles and GAP has custom made barrels for his AI's for use with suppressors...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:56:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
If you're committed to the OPS can, then you pretty much have to get the barrel modified for the muzzle device and barrel profile. Depending on which AI barrel the rifle comes with, it might or might not be possible (26" AW bbl might not be thick enough-- not sure; the AWP barrel would definitely work). If the AI barrel already has threads, you'll probably have to have these cut off which would reduce the OAL by about 0.75". The other alternative is to just have George cut a new barrel for your rifle and have it set up for the OPS can from the get-go.

I haven't handled or shot the 3rd model, but the OPS web page says is weighs 28oz and extends 7.5" past the muzzle, For regular single-point-mounted threaded suppressors, the 9" ones will extend about 8.2" past the muzzle and there are choices as low as 14 oz (Shark, I think), while the HVT is still lighter tat 24oz.
-z

Zak - I am not completely tied down to the OPS for this particular build...

for precision .308, have you seen any bad experiences with flash hider mounted cans vs. thread mounts ?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:58:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:09:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:
I don't see any compelling reason to use a FH mount on a precision rifle vs. a simple thread mount.

roger, that is where i am leaning...and the reason why I am not tied down to the OPS can is the weight...

I am not going to be humping this rifle...but coming in @ 14pounds plus the scope...

what is the current story with JET cans?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:17:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:04:28 PM EST
Top Top