Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:36:52 AM EDT
I have a SWR Warlock for my 10/22. I'd like to use it on my Browning Buckmark pistol as well. Tactical Solutions offers a 4.5" threaded barrel for the Buckmark. That seems a bit too short to me. They said they would thread a 5.5" for me for a $50 up charge. Question - will there be enough velocity difference between the 4.5" and the 5.5" to justify the price difference? Any cycling issues with the 5.5"?

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have ZERO cycling problems with my Buck Mark Camper / 4.5" Trail-Lite barrel.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, 4.5 is ideal.

It is pretty safe to say most ammo is subsonic through a 4.5" barrel. a 5.5" you'll have more break the sound barrier. It's close though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 5.5" Ruger and one cut back to 4".  But function just fine.  The 5.5" goes supersonic with most all "high-velocity" ammo.  But everything except CCI Stingers and the like stay subsonic in the 4" gun.  

I chronoed some CCI MiniMag right at 1000 FPS from the 4" gun.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The above posts are right on the money. I have read this stuff a bunch of times and eventually proved it for myself.

The advantage of going with a 4.5" barrel is that you can buy cheap, bulk, .22LR ammo at Wally World and it will be subsonic out of that barrel length.  If this doesn't matter to you, you can make the barrel any length you want. I have a Ruger Mk.II with a 10" barrel (or something like that, it's a factory barrel) that was threaded by Tornado Technologies. I have to buy and use subsonic ammo to get quiet with the suppressor however.
I am not cheap and have several cases of subsonic ammo socked away. BUT, having the ability to just shoot Walmart ammo is a big plus in my book.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have ZERO cycling problems with my Buck Mark Camper / 4.5" Trail-Lite barrel.

i23.tinypic.com/2edtdsi.jpg

Your barrel is likely 4 inches long.

Tactical Solutions Buckmark Barrels

I have the 4 inch barrel from them and the Ruger Pac Lite 4.5 inch barrel from them.

There is a lot of ballistics data, along with sound data on my website for both of these pistols.  Mite Review with Ruger Pac Lite (P22 in there too)

Buckmark Data

There are other reviews with ballistics data as well on my site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top